Middle selector switch cuts out bridge

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Gratusin, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Gratusin

Gratusin TDPRI Member

Hey guys, first time caller long time.... I just finished a DIY Tele Deluxe kit, damn thing is gorgeous, buuuuut it ain’t perfect. When the switch is on neck only, neck pickup works, when it’s on bridge only, bridge works, but when it’s in the middle only the neck pickup is on. I opened it back up for about the hundredth time and rechecked my schematics (I put push pulls on both volumes for coil split) and wiring looks fine. The only thing I found online was for an SG and they said check the spring on the switch, but as far as I know this cheapo switch doesn’t have one. Any hints?

2. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Without seeing the wiring, we would only be guessing.

From where can I purchase the same kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Gratusin

Gratusin TDPRI Member

Oh gah, pull it apart again haha. I’ll post a pick this weekend. Wanna use it for practice tomorrow. My wife got the kit from the fret wire for my birthday. I added Duncan pickups and push pull pots.

Mincer likes this.
  4. POS Guitars

POS Guitars Tele-Meister

You might have a number of issues. The easiest to overlook is either your contact touching ground when buttoned up, or a physical switch damage.

LowCaster likes this.
  5. jimilee

That looks pretty awesome. Which Duncan diagram did you use?

6. Gratusin

Gratusin TDPRI Member

7. Gratusin

Gratusin TDPRI Member

That link didn’t work correctly. Of course, just my luck with wiring diagrams! It just the two volume (two coil split), two tone, 3 way toggle diagram

8. Gratusin

Gratusin TDPRI Member

After checking the schematics, I’m thinking it might be the switch. If there was contact with the shielding somewhere in the chain (I shielded everything with copper tape) then wouldn’t that ground out the pickups? Like I said, both pickups work in their respective positions, but just not together.

9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

You have a wiring problem at the selector switch, I would guess. Note: acceptance of the ‘correctness’ of one’s work when reviewing for problems is a trap that will prevent one from seeing the problem......time after time, even.
    You don’t show us a diagram of the selector switch, and pics of the work might be helpful.

Gratusin likes this.
  10. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

First I would use an ohmmeter to test the switch. That’s easier than to review the whole wiring, and easy to fix (replace).

I once had a similar problem, and the switch was OK but the problem was caused by one contact lug of the switch making contact with the shielding of the cavity. Problem solved with some adjustments and a piece of tape stuck on the shielding.

Gratusin and Wally like this.
  11. Gratusin

Gratusin TDPRI Member

Popped off the neck and pickguard and heat shrinked everything that had a single connection point. Put er back together and same issue. Bridge works, neck works, but only neck again in middle position. I wasn’t really sure what to be looking for regarding the ohmmeter, I tested each side with the black in the middle, red on respective side, then in all positions on the toggle and was getting pretty much same resistance regardless of position. I’m obviously no electrician. Just ordered a switchcraft toggle to hopefully fix this thing. Thanks for all the replies guys!

. IMG_3324.JPG schematic I’m using

IMG_3325.JPG
    toggle switch

12. jimilee

That’s a switchcraft? Don’t look like any switchcraft I’ve ever seen. BUT did it come with a pin out diagram?

13. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Yah, that Switch is not something that I would bother with wiring up unless I was in dire straits. That said, if I had that switch in my hands, I believe I believe I could take it apart and make it work when I put it back together. The new switch will fix the problem.

Gratusin likes this.
  14. Gratusin

Gratusin TDPRI Member

The one in the picture is definitely no switchcraft. It’s basically the only thing other than the neck and body that I kept from the kit. New toggle will be here on Monday unfortunately. Got a gig next Friday, so hopefully I’ll have the thing up and running by then.

Wally likes this.
  15. jimilee

Oh yeah. A proper switch will fix it as fast you can solder it.

Gratusin likes this.
  16. Gratusin

Gratusin TDPRI Member

New switch installed and it works! Much smoother, but I sprayed a bit of de-oxit in it just to be on the safe side. The switchcraft toggle was much wider, so I made sure to heat shrink all the connections and put some electrical tape in the cavity to make sure it doesn’t ground out somewhere. Both pickups now work on the middle position. Thanks for your help guys! IMG_3340.JPG

Wally and LowCaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.