1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Middle position not working...

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by justrfb, Oct 21, 2015.

1. justrfb

justrfb TDPRI Member

Hello All.
    I built a part-caster Tele from a kit. Bought the upgraded Tele wiring kit from Stew Mac and wired it exactly to the supplied schematic. My middle position is out. Bridge and neck work exactly as intended with the volume and tone working as they should be too. Middle is out... Any ideas? Thanks.

Sincerely,
    Rich

2. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

That happened to me when I shielded the control cavity on a parts caster recently.. The switch "hot" tab for the middle position was shorting out. A strip of electrical tape fixed it.

3. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

silly question did you wire it so it had common points? i did this fairly recently.

i soldered on the first and 3rd lug(?) only instead of 1,2 for the neck pickup, and 7 and 8 for the bridge or vice versa

but then again i suck at wiring so if that done work i dont know

4. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You probably forgot one of the jumpers. Can you post a clear, close picture of the back of the control plate?

5. justrfb

justrfb TDPRI Member

Hello.
    And thanks for the help... I will get a clear, close picture posted when I get home from work today. I should have last night but was too flustered... Now that I slept on it, I think I know what I didn't do correctly but will post the picture to make sure... Thanks.

Sincerely,
    Rich

6. justrfb

justrfb TDPRI Member

OK, here are the pics... I know I have it to the diagram BUT I also know it is not working!! What do you think?

Sincerely,
    Rich

Attached Files:

7. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

Can't tell much from the picture, but it doesn't appear to be wired like the following which is your standard Tele wiring schematic. Did you get it working yet?

[​IMG]

8. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

From here it looks like the wiring is a mess going across the top of the switch to bridge the terminals.

In any event that's probably where the problem is. It's also better if that wire is shrink-wrapped or insulated so it can't short out on something when the switch is put back into the guitar.

If that wire touches anything metal you are out of business in the middle position.

9. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I think rolloman's right; it's wired incorrectly. The jumper that connects multiple lugs starts on the wrong side, crosses over in the wrong direction, and ends on the wrong side. The pickup and volume pot leads are on the wrong sides, too.

10. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

I just know if you follow that schematic and rewire your switch carefully it should work. If not let us know and we will go from there to get ya going.

11. justrfb

justrfb TDPRI Member

Hello All.
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions... Long story short, I had it wired "mirrored" (in error) as I believe has been pointed out here. Here is my correspondence with Stew Mac in which they acknowledge the discrepancy with their CRL switch supplied diagram.

Hi Richard,

I do understand what you mean. That diagram has caused issues for other customers too I apologize for the inconvenience. I am glad to hear you were able to correct the problem!

Larry

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: 10/23/2015 10:04 AM
    To: "service@stewmac.com" <service@stewmac.com>
    Subject: ATTN: Larry...

Hello Larry.
    I was able to correct my issue with the CRL Tele switch. I had the whole thing wired "mirrored" to the diagram because I believe the diagram has an error specifically the way the pins on the switch are depicted with regard to the way the wires are connected to those pins. If you look at the detail of the connector in the supplied diagram, the 4 pins on the top are offset to the right when in actuality, looking at the actual connector the top 4 pins are offset to the left. So when I looked at the diagram, I (in error) interpreted it such that the two outer most pins were part of the 4 pin jumper connection. I unhooked the whole thing and wired it according to the diagram, disregarding the mirrored symmetry and all is well. I hope you understand what I am trying to explain... Please let me know if you "see" what I am trying to explain about your diagram supplied with the kit and the CRL 3-way switch. I am attaching pictures from when the switch was wired incorrectly. Thank you for your help and support.

Sincerely,
    Rich Bias

12. rolloman

rolloman Tele-Holic

Glad ya got it going.:)

13. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

The diagram must be for an Oak-Grigsby switch, whereas your switch is a CRL. This diagram shows the difference:

[​IMG]

Many thanks to forum member yegbert for creating the diagram.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.