Middle Pickups suck

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Bluego1, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

NFM.
    Wait. Who in their right mind wants to keep hitting that thing with the pick? Seriously, if you didn’t start out learning on a strat or such, and adjusting your picking hand accordingly, why would you ever go there? Are positions 2 and 4 that good?

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Middle pickup is the best main all-around sound on a strat.
    Jimmie Vaughan agrees with me

3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I actually really like my middle pickup for cases where the neck pickup is to deep and 3D-sounding (if that makes sense; describing sounds is weird) but the bridge pickup is too zingy. It's a good, well, middle ground.

I never hit it with a pick, either. When I play my Strat my pick tends to hit between the neck and middle pickups. My ease with it may have to do with a Strat being my first electric guitar, because when I play my Tele may hand pick hand definitely gravitates toward the bridge.

JL_LI and Bluego1 like this.
  4. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

To me, positions 2 and 4 are the quineteseential strat sounds.

5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

IMO, 2,3, and 4 are all pretty good.

Wait a minute. That's your hand, it does what it's told. Just work on getting your right hand under control. Want to, try to, not a big deal. Your pick has no business being down there. Next thing, we'll be hearing complaints about the volume control being too close, or bumping into the selector switch.

I'm not that good a player, but I can't remember the last time I bumped a pickup or a control with my pick, or marked the top of a guitar.

Bluego1, awasson, JL_LI and 1 other person like this.
  6. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There is no physical evidence of any of my pickkguards being anything other than decorative :lol:

There is a little discoloration on the bass side of my Strat's bridge pickup, which I can only assume is from my hand resting near there some of the time, but I've never thought about it while playing.

Bluego1, awasson and Ricky D. like this.
  7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Middle pickup is my home base on a Strat. Set the amp for it, and use it as my normal position. Then I can go one brighter or one darker by switching to the other pickups. I don't like 2 and 4, and usually convert to a 3-way instead. Or if I do leave the 5-way, I wire it for different functions than stock.

Sometimes I hit it with my pick, and sometimes I don't. It's not at all a bother when I do.

Bluego1, Marc Morfei, awasson and 2 others like this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The pickup locations on a Strat were chosen by visual design, and a "middle pickup" can be mounted closer to the bridge or neck if you want, but still get the quack caused by two together.
    IMO the bridge pickup sounds way better without the angle too, but again, it's a visual design, based on the thinking of a man who didn't play guitar. I've mounted every sort of pickup possible in the bridge position vicinity and the angle never improves the sound.
    The wound strings are naturally bassy and the plain strings are naturally trebly without making the high E extra trebly by angling the pickup.

For that matter the tall poles can be lower so your pick doesn't catch on them.

But no need to improve on those vintage Fender designs!
    Nothing to see here move along...

Nice that JV agrees with BT!

9. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My Strat is wired for all seven possibilities. I use the bridge and neck the most followed by the middle pickup alone. I use the bridge pickup on a couple of songs and the neck alone on a few more. The bridge and middle is too dark for me. I use all three together for the Beatles Hide Your Love Away or the bridge and middle if I need the sound to cut. Picking isn't a problem for me. I play mostly finger style.

Bluego1 likes this.
  10. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

You could always just do like Ritchie Blackmore . . .

blackmore_master-strat_2010.jpg

11. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Afflicted

Never been an issue with how I play.

CP.

Bluego1 likes this.
  12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I hate quack. Sorry. Personal taste.

My Strats are wired like a Tele. Neck/neck + bridge/bridge. Master volume and Tone.

I keep the middle pickup but never use it. The back pot is a middle blend. But it’s just ceremonial. Never use it.

Steve 78, heffus and Bluego1 like this.
  13. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

Leo started playing around with Strat pickup placement with the S-500 in the 1980s. Note that the angle of the bridge pickup is actually steeper, and the middle pickup has been moved. Less aesthetically pleasing, but at that point Leo was going for tone. Overall, I really dig those old S-500s and someday I'll have one.

GL_S-500_05.jpg

Photo from here: https://www.vintageguitar.com/20843/out-stratting-the-strat/

Snfoilhat and Bluego1 like this.
  14. Rob77

Rob77 Tele-Meister

Middle for me is rhythm playing, has nice overall "acoustic like" qualities I find.
    Neck & bridge I use more for lead.

Bluego1 likes this.
  15. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I don't think the middle pickup sucks. I dont hit the middle pickup all the time and like the sound.

I like the sound of all 3 strat pickups on their own and also use position 2.
    I almost never use position #4. Although lots of ppl like it, and I used to, its too scooped and doesn't have quite enough attack for me anymore.

Bluego1 likes this.
  16. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Meister

I have never had that problem, though I like to put a max number of high tension heavy duty springs on the wang bar rather than putting in a block of wood as the springs ad a certain lively resonance to a strat imho.

Bluego1 likes this.
  17. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

Huh, I love it. I wound one that fooled my coworker. I think where and how you pick can really change how that middle sounds. And 4 is great! We must play very different music. I never use bridge alone and I bet you do!

Bluego1 likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had the single pickup TV yellow Jr/ Esquire version of the S-500, and still have the TV yellow single pickup bass from that era.
    Cool instruments and extra cool being from Leo era G&L.

Bluego1 likes this.
  19. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire

Funny you’d mention this. I just did a little update to my black beauty Strat and put a set of Deneb-Tone prototype rails back in it. I love the middle pickup on it. I don’t like how I sound with the in between #2 and #4 positions but I do like it when others play those positions.

This guitar has a great sounding middle pickup. The Telecaster knobs do pose a problem if you have trouble with your picking hand because they are definitely more present than regular Strat knobs. I figure if you play it enough, you’ll get used to it.

2A6FE262-E495-4A08-98EA-658C3A157446.jpeg

Bluego1 and telemnemonics like this.
  20. dodona

dodona TDPRI Member

Middle Pickups doesn't suck. For many of us Strat MP delivers the signature tone of Fenders. Eric Clapton played through MP quite often.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    ping-ping-clicka and Bluego1 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.