1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Middle Pickup??

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by moleng1, Jun 12, 2013.

1. moleng1

moleng1 TDPRI Member

Hi all, I'm new to telecaster.com, and I'm bringing home a 2012 Fender Nashville B-Bender this weekend....................

Also being a Harley guy, I'm sure you must understand my need to make this new addition my own, so mods are in store!! Small one's include a vintage mint green pickguard and aged tan chicken neck control knobs.

Now for the question, can the middle strat pick up be made to operate on it's own? Is there any benefit to having it operate by itself like the neck and bridge pups can??

Thanks for any input, appreciated

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Neck Pickup:

American Standard Single-Coil Tele®

Middle Pickup:

Texas Special™ Single-Coil Strat®

Bridge Pickup:

American Standard Single-Coil Tele®

Pickup Switching:

5-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup, Position 3. Middle Pickup, Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup, Position 5. Neck Pickup

Pickup Configuration:

S/S/S

Controls:

Master Volume, Master Tone

3. moleng1

moleng1 TDPRI Member

4. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

I thought the same mod was necessary Before I actually got my Nashville, but after having it and practicing/giging with it for 3 months, I've changed my mind. It has such a wide range of tones as it is, I won't be moding it for quite some time. It's wonderful, right out of the box.

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Weird!

I like the middle pickup tone on a strat, a lot.

As much as the tele bridge pickup? I don't know.

Personally, I would probably like the neck/mid position least, and might consider changing that to middle only, which would be easy

But get to know the guitar as it comes first!

6. moleng1

moleng1 TDPRI Member

Thanks to you both for the input, this bender thang is all new to me, and I can't wait to get it home this Saturday!!

Probably wise advice to try her as is, but I was just wondering if the wiring "could" be done to retain the stock 5 way and add a middle only in some way??

7. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Wow, that's interesting.
    The B-Bender and the Delux Nashvilles are wired differently, according to the Service Diagrams (thanks Moleng1). The Delux middle position is middle pup only and does not have a Neck and Bridge setting, the B-Bender middle position is Neck and Bridge, and it does not have a middle only setting.
    Gotta wonder why.

8. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

The Nashville I had (sold it the neck was too thin) was not wired like that and mine had no neck + bridge position like the center on a standard Tele 3 way. I would guess that they changed to this diagram after all the complaints about having no neck + bridge position.

9. moleng1

moleng1 TDPRI Member

I figured that most long time Tele players would want the neck/bridge setting, as most Teles do have this setting.

Not even sure if the mid pup would sound good on its own, but if I can retain the stock setting and add the option, I'd like to try it.

10. moleng1

moleng1 TDPRI Member

11. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

On my Strats, I use a push/pull pot to turn on the bridge pup when I need it. That way I get all the standard switch positions/combinations, plus bridge and neck, and all three pups when I pull the pot.

12. moleng1

moleng1 TDPRI Member

So could I use a push/pull to just operate the middle pup?? Wonder how I would wire that?? Sounds like what I'm looking for.

13. Guitarist4u36

Guitarist4u36 TDPRI Member

I have one of these myself. Great sounding and playing guitar. These particular model guitars are wired with what Fender calls the "strat-o-tele" setup. This allows you to get both of the most desired Strat sounds (neck/middle & middle/back pickup configurations) while also allowing you to achieve the standard "tele" 3-way type switching configurations as well. Otherwise, with "normal" 5-way switching, you're basically getting the same combinations as a standard Strat. By adding a pull pot or a separate toggle switch, you could add the option of the middle pickup by itself, or you could re-wire it like a standard 5-way, but it's kind of a different beast because this guitar doesn't use a standard 5-way switch as you might think it would. It's a totally different designed 5-way switch and the contact blades are different. You would probably need to swap the switch out for a standard 5-way. I was in the same boat when I got mine....thinking about changing it around to typical 5-way with a Pull pot...because that was what I was used to...but the more I play it, the more I like it as is. Good luck and enjoy your new guitar!!! :)

14. moleng1

moleng1 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply, I did find, through a little searching, this post.....

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/just-pickups/305647-5-way-switch-question-2.html

Which pretty much gave me everything I needed to know, seems it can be done, and still retain the stock B-Bender set up, as well as an alternative second set up using a push/pull to add a middle only position on the 5 way (along with the other stock settings).

Very interesting read, and the attached website on the post is a wealth of wiring knowledge!!

15. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I'll tell you when I get mine, but the Specs all say that the middle position is the middle pickup. That diagram (dated 8-1-2000) is the only place I have seen that the third position gives you the bridge and neck pickups together. I actually think it will be cool if mine is wired that way.

16. moleng1

moleng1 TDPRI Member

I'm hoping its wired for bridge/neck!! If not, I'll have to find a way to wire it that way!!

17. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Back in the 90s I had a Japan Squier Strat with a Hot Rails stacked HB in the bridge and two push/pull tone pot switches which turned on the bridge pup when ever it wasn't on or split the coils of the Hot Rails. I had eleven tones if I remember right.

HB and switch down:
    Bridge HB
    Bridge HB/middle
    Middle
    Middle/Neck
    Neck

HB and switch up:
    Bridge HB
    Bridge HB/middle
    Middle/Bridge HB
    All three w/HB
    Neck/BridgeHB

SC and switch down:
    Bridge SC
    Bridge SC/middle

Middle
    Middle/Neck
    Neck

SC and switch up:
    Bridge SC
    Bridge SC/middle
    Bridge SC/middle
    All three w/SC
    Neck/Bridge SC

Pretty cool guitar.

18. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  19. smokeygills

smokeygills Tele-Meister

Attached Files:

20. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

"So could I use a push/pull to just operate the middle pup??"
    Sure! Easy as could be. Two wires and the P/P pot. Find where the "hot" lead from the pup goes TO the 5-way, and solder a wire from there to the pot's switch. From the other lug on the pot, solder a wire to the output of the 5-way switch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.