Middle Pickup position.

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by 41144, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Holic

On a strat I spend the majority of time on the neck pickup, with the bridge getting some solo time, the middle gets played rarely.

On a tele, I use the middle (Both pickups) quite a bit more. It definately has a great rhythm thing happening.

2. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

My Suhr Pro Series 3 (think soloist) has a devastating middle pickup sound that incites and inspires! I use it all the time.

3. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Steve Cropper used the middle Tele position a lot in the studio and bridge live(or vice versa). I mostly use bridge and neck, but I’ve been using the middle a lot more lately and I like it. I’m using American Standard Teles with stock pickups. What’s wrong with me?!

4. El Reclusa

El Reclusa Tele-Afflicted

I use the middle fairly often on both my Strat and the Bass VI, rarely on my Tele, a lot on both Jag and Jazzmaster. On the Jag, I have Johnny Marr wiring and use the forward, both/series position too, though I use the parallel "middle" more often.

5. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

i live in the middle position on the tele and the neck on a strat usually. i do like all positions on the tele but i don't really use the strat's bridge because i haven't wired it to a tone pot yet.

6. Marblatx

Marblatx Tele-Meister

I almost always run both on my "Tele". I still get a good "twang" and the tone knob really dials in something else when I need it.

7. Ochotona

Ochotona TDPRI Member

Mostly middle on my T (Am Pro I pickups) because it sounds so articulate and pure. Mostly neck on my S (Van Zandt blues pickups), but I do use the middle quite a bit. Especially with effects as I think it has the most pure sound of the notes. Also because my bridge pickup is pretty bright. I find myself using all 3 pickups on my Strat clone quite a bit lately too for a super clear clean Jerry Garcia kind of sound - sort of the other middle position.

8. Andy ZZ

Andy ZZ Tele-Meister

If you pay close attantion to SRV, you'll notice that part of his signature tone, on certain songs, was the middle Start Pickup only.
    -az-

jvin248 and Gris like this.
  9. Mud67

Mud67 TDPRI Member

I have a 2012 Am. Standard Strat with fat 50s and the middle pickup I use mostly and give the neck pickup some love along the way. The bridge is a little bright for my bedroom amps 67-VC, 68-PR, and can sing pretty good with my 69 SR but still not my favorite. For some reason 2 and 4 I never really jelled with, to me there is something off, when I want Humbucker type sound I use my SG

10. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

On my old Telecaster, it is wired to use both pickups in middle position and with my rock band I am in that position probably most of the time, but I use neck and bridge pickups depending on the song, or part of a song. If I really want to cut through and be strong on a section it is the bridge pickup I will go to, but the middle position gives a good balanced tone within the sonic landscape of my band.

11. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

On all my electrics (no Strat):

Neck - Often.
    Middle - Sometimes.
    Bridge - Almost never.

12. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

+1 SRV famously used the Strat middle pickup.
    Many Tele players use either the bridge or combo neck+bridge and more rarely neck alone.

13. Novak

Novak Tele-Meister

I default to the middle position on my Telecaster; I'm on that pickup about 80% of the time. This position produces a bright and vibrant sound and the hum is reduced when the switch is in the middle position. This is where I play when I'm practicing and learning things in front at home of my computer. I've got the neck pickup set up louder than the bridge (or combined) position; I switch to it for leads and I don't need a "booster" pedal. Hardly ever use the bridge pickup alone unless I really need to "cut through".

14. jayhawknavy02

jayhawknavy02 TDPRI Member

Bingo. I am a big fan of the 4 way switch to obtain a quasi "humbucker with benefits" position in series with the Cavalier fat pickups. For high gain stuff, the bridge rocks.

Killing Floor likes this.
  15. breadfreak

breadfreak TDPRI Member

If I pulled the neck and bridge pickups out from my Strat I wouldn't really miss them.

16. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I use the middle position when I'm dialing in new builds because it's humbucking on most of my guitars and I can check for noise. Then i SLAM it on to the bridge pickup.

Gris likes this.
  17. zekester

zekester TDPRI Member

I have a California Series Tele factory equipped with a humbucker @ neck, and a Tex-Mex s.c. @ bridge. It has a 5-position switch. The middle position engages both pups.

18. Gris

Gris Tele-Meister

I use a firebird ‘mini-HB’ in neck & a trad Tele SC bridge PU, so they're quite diff and used for completely diff sounds. Middle is great too tho. It’s all good man.

Buell likes this.
  19. Buell

Buell Tele-Meister

Holy crap, am I the only one who uses the bridge pickup the majority of the time? I reckon I'm gonna have to change things up....nah.

CalebAaron666 likes this.
  20. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

Strat pickup in the neck and Seymour Duncan QP in the bridge. Never use the middle position it just doesn't sound nice, but the neck is a stunning sound clean and with a little overdrive and only use the bridge with quite a bit of overdrive pedal for lead and some rhythm, never use it with a clean sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.