Middle Pickup In Series

LuvMeATele

TDPRI Member
This may have been posted already, but so far I have not been able to find it. Here is my dilemma:

Nashville Tele-style HSS (Stack in bridge), 3 way import-style blade switch, looking for a push button to wire the middle pickup in series for a little extra "oompf" for leads. The only self locking DPDT push button switch I can find has a weird pole configuration.
DPDT2.png

How would I connect the middle pickup and blade switch to achieve series with the bridge using this button? Ideally "Out" would be bypassed, "In" would be in series with the bridge. I could use a switch, but I like the idea of a button better for activating mid-song. And I can't use the Fender Deluxe Push-Push switch, it is too tall for my control cavity. Any help you can provide would be very... helpful.

Also, will having a RWRP middle pickup create any issues being in series with the stack?

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Don't know how you'd wire it, but if you can do it, it is an amazing sound. I have 4-way switches on most of my 2 pickup Teles and I love the 2 pickups in series sound.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
This is just a DPDT but with the poles in an unusual order. A “normal” switch would look like

A1 B1
A B
A2 B2

but yours has the commons in the corners like

A2 B
A1 B1
A B2

Now you want the middle pickup added in series with whatever the 3-way switch has selected from the bridge & neck pickups, correct??

Then you wire up the 3-way as normal, but instead of taking the output to the volume control you bring it to the switch A terminal, and then you wire A1 on to the volume control. That’s your bypass position.
For the additional series position you wire your middle pickup’s “return” wire (would have been ground) to A2.
For the middle pickup “hot” you can either permanently wire it to the volume control (when you’re bypassed it will just be hanging out there) or to take it right out of circuit you can wire it through the B poles: volume connected to B2 and pickup hot to B (or the other way round, doesn’t matter).

So A-A1, B-B1 is normal operation (3-way to output). A-A2, B-B2 adds the extra pickup in series between the 3-way and the volume control.

HTH!

Carcinogen

Tele-Meister
Get a Freeway 10 way switch and you will get virtually every combination of series and parallel.

LuvMeATele

TDPRI Member
Based on your description, this is what I came up with. Does this look right?

Attachments

• Series Diagram.png
    Series Diagram.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 15

LuvMeATele

TDPRI Member
Or is this correct? In this one there is a hot running from A1 to volume pot in (I'm guessing that's needed for the bypass position) as well as a hot running from B2 to volume pot in. Does the switch need to be grounded or is that not necessary?

Attachments

• Series Diagram 2.png
    Series Diagram 2.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 11

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
Here ya go. I used to mod a LOT of Strats and this was my favorite mod, whether bridge or middle or neck and middle depended on the player and the music they so called played lol 😂

Attachments

• received_385800103090221.jpeg
    received_385800103090221.jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 25