Middle pickup appreciation thread.

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My go to live rhythm tone tends to be middle. Bridge for leads. Neck for special effects.

shupe13

Tele-Afflicted
As far as my Strats go, I'm not a huge fan of the middle pickup alone, but love the 2 and 4 combinations.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Verne Bunsen

Tele-Afflicted
Love me some middle pickup! I think they sound best when you route the hole for them yourself...
Photo%20Oct%2001%2C%2011%2031%2026%20AM.jpeg

Axegrinder77

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
Since I swapped my strat bridge to something fatter, I now use the middle for something resembling the former vintage bridge pickup

charlie chitlin

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Anson Funderburgh...the middle pickup man!
I also have a guitar with 3 humbuckers, 3 P90s, one with 1 P90 in the middle, and an old Kay with a single Hershey bar in the middle.
Crank the treble on the amp and use the guitar tone knobs to dial up what you need!

guspac88

Tele-Meister
Count me in on strats! The only guitars I don't like them in are teles, and that's just because I think teles with those strat style single coil middle pickups ugly. If I'm not inspired to pick up a guitar, I don't care what it sounds like.

68Telebass

Friend of Leo's
Yes...”I don't always play my Strat, but when I do, I tend to favor the middle pickup...a lot.”

(Mad props to “The Most Interesting Man in the World)

Sounds just great on its own-

StoogeSurfer

Tele-Afflicted
I guess I'm the outlier. Never could bond with this this sound. I would always take position #4 over #3, but otherwise spend most of time with the neck, and/or a swapped out bridge (twangbanger) pickup.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Never would touch that worthless center position
good for nothing.
But, I have really been trying.
Went to Middle pickup haters anonymous too.

Ecadad

Tele-Holic
For recording, I love it. Less round than the neck, not as sharp as the bridge, with no quacking or chime.

Zepfan

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
A guitar with one pickup in the middle with 1 volume and 1 tone can mimic any of the other pickup positions just by tweaking those controls.

Can't get sufficient quack without a middle pickup on a Strat or those fat and noiseless humbucking tones either.

Can't even imagine a Strat without the middle pickup unless it's a H/H Strat, but then they can't quack like the S/S/S Strat without some pedal effect.

joe_cpwe

Tele-Afflicted
I agree on all points made about the middle pickup, very useful.

Especially with a band, I rarely use positions 2 & 4. They're too scooped and get lost in the mix, for my test anyway.

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Just watched the Cream Albert Hall Reunion.

Clapton on a black Strat and the lionshare of the time on the middle pickup.

Albert Lee has been using his Jetson Caster almost exclusively. He gets his lunch eaten by the Tele players tone and cutting through a mix.

Maybe he needs to use the middle pickup more often.