Middle-aged People Are Taking Up The Electric Guitar!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rze99, Dec 2, 2019.

1. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Down in the park with a friend called Five
    Started a couple years ago in my mid-50's, I've had a fascination with telecasters since forever so decided it was just time to jump in. The kid has been playing for 20-ish years so I have to catch up!
    I'm not serious about my progress, I make noise and have a lot of fun - that's all I really want. I amuse myself with my toys and cowboy chords.

Deathray and Kitarkus like this.
  2. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

So does Neil Young!

3. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

I started playing mandolin and fiddle when I was 50. It seemed to be the most sensible 'mid-life' option at the time. I did 2 years of fiddle tuition and played the fiddle a lot for about 10 years. I sing now and can flat pick a fair few 'easy' fiddle tunes.

An affordable hobby for me is pawn shop, 'advanced student' fiddles. These can be Chinese or E. European, cost AUD $70- $125 and have figured timber.

My faves, two pretty good ones and two beaters I like. DSC04232.JPG DSC04233.JPG DSC04234.JPG DSC04234.JPG DSC04225.JPG DSC04228.JPG like.

SuprHtr, RodeoTex, Recce and 3 others like this.
  4. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

Not sure if this has been covered, but Please get his guitar a setup with low or proper string action!!!!

Nothing will turn him off faster than having high strings.

Also, sing when he plays, it's difficult to learn to do later, ask me how I know these things.

and it's okay to learn chords and play tabs. You don't have to learn all the scales and memorize everything to have fun.

5. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I also stated late, at 39. I'm 57 now and can just about hold a G chord!

RoarDog and Kitarkus like this.
  6. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

I'm starting guitar since 40 years, i'm 56 now.

:)

Kitarkus likes this.
  7. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

My brother in-law will be turning 80 soon. He bought a beginner acoustic 2 years ago over the Thanksgiving weekend and began taking lessons. He never played before... ever... and is having a very hard time, but he still gets a lot of enjoyment out of it. I'm not sure why but he decided that his Cort felt too small and was hindering his learning, so he bought a Martin 000-something or other (which is a fantastic guitar, by the way) and it's not helping.

EDIT: Obviously he isn't middle age, nor taking up the electric guitar, but I felt his story was close enough.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 8:28 AM
    Kitarkus likes this.
  8. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

There’s a lot of us here. I returned to guitar at 59 - after a life of being a guitar owner I decided I’d better get off my butt and actually learn to play the dang thing.

For some reason I can’t remember, when I returned I had to have a Telecaster. Which of course led to this place. After a couple of years lurking for info, I decided to join. I’ve learned a lot here.

I’m certainly not a great player, but I can play about 50 songs now and kinda understand the fretboard. It’s a wonderful journey. As Keith says, “you learn something about this thing every time you pick it up”.

Deathray, stormsedge and Kitarkus like this.
  9. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Meister

Hi, I'm Stormsedge and I'm middle-aged. It's been >45 years since I got my first guitar, an acoustic 12 string and played it (chords) at some point during each of those years. Some years were sparse while I was at sea, or too involved mentally in duties/work to pick it up regularly. I picked up a few more guitars along the way, including a couple of electrics. Yesterday, I bought an annual onTrueFire to get things going a bit, as I have been retired for a few years and really need something less recliner oriented after I come home from the gym. And I'm building my first pedal board (which I don't need--LOL)...an interesting experiment. AND, in January, I'll have not had a haircut in two years---gotta have a retro-rocker/country outlaw look to do this right...hilarious, but true! And I regularly wear cargo shortso_O

saltyseadog and Kitarkus like this.
  10. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Didn’t Neil once was Young own part of Lionel ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ponce likes this.
  11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I came back to guitar in my 50’s after a 30 year hiatus. No protest or psychedelic stuff this time. It was like starting over but not from scratch. I knew chords and had good rhythm sense, but I wanted to play country. That meant learning scales and chords in a whole new way. It meant soloing off of chords rather than pentatonic scales. I learn a few finger styles and learned to sing in tune. I’m broadening my horizons now starting to learn the modes for jazz. It’s good to be back into music without booze and weed getting in the way. There’s maturity now that was lacking in my youth. Its far from unrealistic for a middle aged man or woman to take up guitar, painting, writing, or anything else that captives them. And with a career established and the kids out of the house there’s finally time to do it right.

Deathray and Kitarkus like this.
  12. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange TDPRI Member

I can completely relate.

It takes me so long to commit new things to memory.

Besides guitar, during a period of extended unemployment, I started a graduate degree in accounting. Things I could’ve read three times and had down in my younger days now took forever to learn. (Thankfully I found a job and didn’t finish the degree. My worst fear was graduating and actually having to be an accountant!)

Anyway.

As someone else commented, being more mature, one often has more dedication to practice.

So while I may be a slower learner, much to my wife’s chagrin, I just grind it out for hours, if necessary, getting a lick down.

Mr. Neutron, JL_LI and Kitarkus like this.
  13. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Middle-aged people have more disposable income, and usually more free time.

If you've done any teaching, you'll have noticed the demographic...greying :cool:

Kitarkus likes this.
  14. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister

Hey brother, :)

stormsedge likes this.
  15. slipshift

slipshift NEW MEMBER!

I played a passable folk guitar 35 years ago and just recently, at 74, made a Strat from a kit. My main problem is old flesh, I can hold down a clear chord but after a few minutes my fingers get grooved and I get some dead strings. My calluses are slowly getting harder so eventually this will cease to be a problem.

Jim

16. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

I started lessons when I was about 10. Boring stuff, rote oriented, reading from a book, practicing over and over and over to master each lesson. Loved it, but eventually it got old.

My grandson started lessons before his 8th birthday. Just after he's turned 9, he's progressed musically farther than I did in the 2-3 years I took lessons. Technically there's a difference, but he is learning at his own pace (really fast) and knows more theory now than I did when I quit lessons.

Kinda embarrassing for me, but at the same time I'm a proud grandpa. :)

17. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

Played from 14 to 22 then got fired from the band as the record came out. Stayed in the business, toured the world as a tech, then owned studios and ended up as a licencing agent - never played apart from the odd soundcheck when the band were late/couldn't be bothered.

A few yrs back my old keyboard player called up and said "do you want to finish the album" - said no in two words, one starting with f- "don't have a guitar and forgotten how to play and it's been 30 years or more". A week later the bell rang at the office and there was this delivery guy there with a guitar and amp - the guitar had a note tucked under the strings that said "learn to play again"

So 10 years on, and now building Teles to my own bizarre spec and having enough gear to make even a dentist envious (never did finish the album), I am actually technically a much better player than I was as a kid, having learnt pretty much from scratch all over again, but I lack that brash unstoppable confidence in my playing that only youth brings to the party.

rangercaster and Kitarkus like this.
  18. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

53 isn’t middle aged.

Owenmoney likes this.
  19. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

It is if you live to a hundred and six.

20. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

I think the title applies to me although I have actually taken up the guitar about 5 other times previously.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.