Mid week jam track....on the funky side

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by NWinther, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Mikejazz

Mikejazz TDPRI Member

Thanks Nwinther for the cool funky groove.
    Here's my contribution:

2. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Afflicted

@knh555 - Rock-Funk fusion jam with nasty tone and attitude.
    @fendrguitplayr - That wah is funktastic Mike - sounds like a talk box. Cool!
    @guitarsophist - Sweet and cool tone to this blues fused funk fest.
    @estreet - Dig the delay and the octa-fx. Swinging, melodic funk Carl.
    @udoering - In the the groove here Ullrich. Slick jazz-funk flavored track. You've been laying down some sweet tracks lately Ullrich!
    @NWinther - Nasty, hot and snarling, the way Niels serves it up. Smokin'!
    @ASATKat - Freeform rock motifs and twist here Kat. Sweet tone too.
    @Mikejazz - Dig the phrasing and dynamics Miguel. Sweet jazz-blues-funk fused guitar romp. Great tone too!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    NWinther, udoering and fendrguitplayr like this.
  3. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

@knh555 - I like the rich buzz saw tone and the repeated motifs. It all hangs together well.
    @fendrguitplayr - The wah sounds like a muted trombone! Very cool! I like the little twitters after the drop too.
    @estreet - At first I thought it was going to sound like Prince, but it ended up more like P-Funk. Nice dynamics.
    @udoering - Good contrast between the low stuttery parts and the more free flowing lines. Lots of INTENSITY toward the end. At the very end it sounded like the guitar was walking away.
    @NWinther - Interesting tones throughout. The delay really works too. I don't detect any lack of energy here. Actually it sounds rather angry. Except for the auxiliary coda.
    @Alan L Cole - I didn't hear the first version, but I think this one has just enough going on. It has both funk and space alien communications from the Mothership.
    @ASATKat - This must be the lost Electric Ladyland remix of the first album. The brown Kat is having a psychotic episode. Somehow it reminded me of the scene in Spinal Tap where they are lost in the theater trying to find their way to the stage.

4. Mikejazz

Mikejazz TDPRI Member

@knh555, love the raw hardness of the tone and fusion soloing with lots of dynamics and cool phrases.
    @fendrguitplayr, Dig that bubble wah, reminds of some Herbie Hancock stuff. Creative and pleasant funky lines.
    @estreet, Nice verby octave tone and story telling with transitions and short phrases on spot.
    @guitarsophist, Nice clean fenderish tone and paced approach with the short tasty licks.
    @udoering, Like the funky feel of those percussive chops and then going to a more driven and rocky sound, nice tones too.
    @NWinther, Some hendrix reminds and heartfelt funk-rock-fusion phrasing. Very nice piece !
    @Alan L Cole, Cool stereo effect of dual guitars with minimal but very effective phrases. Great funky feel.
    @ASATKat, Love the indie and psychedelic feeling of it in the 1st half. Fine soloing on the 2nd.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  5. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

@Mikejazz - Great fusion tone and classy chord-appropriate licks. Really cool take!

6. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@ASATKat : nice idea to play this theme over the bt, and some really nice lines in your improvising after 2:30. I am astonished how wild you can get :).

7. udoering

@Mikejazz : beautiful blues- and out-of-the-box-licks! Just good guitar work!

8. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

Happy New Year everyone!

New Year's resolution = leave more space :D

9. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

And... he's back. :D Happy new year mate.

NWinther and alainvey like this.
  10. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

Same to you good sir!

beagle likes this.
  11. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Much more wild risk taking, much more fun too,

udoering, fendrguitplayr and NWinther like this.
  12. udoering

@alainvey : happy new year to you! You delivered good stuff with 2020; full of energy and surprising lines and gimmicks that keep the five minutes entertaining.
    @ASATKat : yes, you really discovered the wild one within you! I know that it is very difficult to realize the way you record, but let me say this anyhow: from my listener´s point of view it would have been the icing on the cake if you had changes of the delay level during your playing.

13. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Thank you, change the delay, as in a volume pedal for the delay?

14. udoering

That´s what I mean. Bring up the delay volume so it can be easily heard and melts with the direct signal; then bring it down a little so that it melts with the background, just adding atmosphere. I did so on the first track on #229; there is always a stereo delay on the lead guitar, but during the bridge section I brought up it´s volume so that it could be clearly heard. But that was done within my DAW after the guitar track was recorded. I don´t know, maybe you can change the delay volume easily if you sit beside the amp?

15. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I get what your saying, I think I could do that if I used my floorboard with my good pedals, becoming interactive with effects. Plus I could hook up my ancient 16 track Korg daw finally.
    Still my guitar gently weeps,,,
    Thanks for the nice critique.

I have been addicted to delay because I want to interact with what I just played. I can create chords doing this, plus "call and response" type playing, it's a bit Twilight Zoneish or psychedelic but it also makes me feel young.

Blame it all on Joe Walsh, and Jimi. while Walsh was in the JamesGang his delay/slide stuff was otherworldly. I first saw him at Filmore West, an off night with five acts, Bola Seti, David Lindley, Seatrain, JamesGang,,, and the first gig in America for Black Sabbath. They were totally unknown. My friends walked into that show hard rockers, and walked out metalheads. It was the birth of Heavy Metal.
    And me? I walked out with Walsh's delay burnt into my brain.

Being an "off night" Tuesday show, we almost didn't go lol. It turned out to be a famous show.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    udoering and NWinther like this.
  16. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Afflicted

Smokin'!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.