1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mid Week Backing Track - Blues 01.29.20

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Alan L Cole, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

We like to joke about banjo's but they're really very cool. I have a friend that's really good, he was a national champion at one point. I was in band once time that was County-ish at least and we got him to sit in with us. We were never so popular as that night. It was hugely fun. I love Bela Fleck.

NWinther and guitarsophist like this.
  2. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Thanks Alan, love the minor blues.

I'm using my Peter Green tone that I got from Dave Simpson. Of course I'm not using a LP but my ASAT does pretty nicely imo.

30 Minor Blues Lane

3. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Way to stretch out!

ASATKat likes this.
  4. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Thank you Mjark, minor blues is pretty comfortable for me. I remember the moment my minor blues lesson took place. BB's The Thrill Is Gone had just hit the radio, I was walking to my friend's place and it came on my transistor radio. It was so beautiful I fell in love with it. The lesson was hearing the song, the learning has been a lifelong activity.

I have to say it wasn't my first minor experience, that was
    The Paul Butterfield Blues Band with the dual guitar team of
    Elvin Bishop and Mike Bloomfield playing East West. At 12 that was mindblowing for me and probably why I caught on to The Thrill so quickly a few years later.
    Before that it was just generic minor chords in songs.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  5. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The player I like a lot is Noam Pikelny, especially his solo album, Universal Favorite. You can find it on You Tube, I think.

6. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

I love live Cream, Miles, Robben,,

7. knh555

knh555 Tele-Holic

Quick take. On a Strat. My current favorite.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Long one. I did it in two parts. The first 2:15 I did with my Carvin Bolt kit and it's bridge SD StagMag pickup. The second half was standard tuning slide on my Epiphone SG Special with a SD Seth Lover bridge. In both cases, I used my Hotone Binary Amp (Marshall JTM45 model) and Binary IR Cab (60's Marshall 4x12 cab with Celestion G12Ls IR). Room reverb added by the IR Cab.

9. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

@udoering - Nice relaxed, restrained track. You are holding back and playing just the right notes with lots of space. Good feeling too. Blues is usually a negotiation between anger and reflection, and that comes through here.
    @NWinther - Blues and beyond. Inventive licks. The soul is crying out in pain. And becoming angry. Altogether lovely.
    @ASATKat - The ASAT works well with this tone. It's kind of a universal British blues tone. Good stuff! Interesting stuff at the end.
    @knh555 - The strat sounds dark and mysterious here. Very cool. The licks turn around some oddball corners. Nice double stop stuff. Is that slide? Enjoyable throughout.
    @bgmacaw - Both the Carvin and the Epi are slide right? Both sound really good.

knh555, NWinther and udoering like this.
  10. tooloud

tooloud Tele-Meister

Here's my Go

11. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Afflicted

@ASATKat - Nice track Kat. Cool tone and sweet phrasing. Your signature chords and retro licks sound good.
    @knh555 - Pretty and delicate Kevin. Sweet chords and nicely paced melodic phrasing.
    @bgmacaw - You're developing a nice melodic theme BG. The slide work and tone sounds good.
    @tooloud - Yanked back from your delicate playing and tone in the beginning by that aggressive tone and playing. Spanking dynamics and attack. Cool!

12. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@ASATKat : nice tone anyhow, and a classic blues track with a lot of jazz influence and some very creative single note lines and chords.
    @knh555 : lovely opening, giving the track a different vibe. Very nice!
    @bgmacaw : lovely guitar tones and intense playing.
    @tooloud : a very powerful track with good use of dynamics. The theme you played in the opening is well developed then.

13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Just the SG was slide. I almost always play fingerstyle so it can make my regular playing sound life-like sometimes.

NWinther likes this.
  14. knh555

knh555 Tele-Holic

Thanks. And yeah, my blues always turns around odd corners. ;) No slide used. Just a one-and done. I did use a capo to aid in the chord work and give me access to some useful open-string drones.

15. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Very nice mood and phrasing for that mood. Like cowboy Clint Eastwood took a big ol' chill pill.
    Very relaxed.

16. Raimonds

Raimonds Tele-Meister

my end of week noodling

17. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Wow, cool dynamic tone. To me you sound a little bit like BB and Mike Bloomfield. Very nice.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Raimonds likes this.
  18. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Afflicted

@Raimonds - Nice bluesy phrasing and noodling Raimonds. Cool tone, playing and vibe. Nice!

Raimonds likes this.
  19. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Fat city right out of the gate. Sort of old Cream era. But at 1:30 you become very authoritative in a Gary Moore sort of way. I could listen to that over and over, partially to try and cop you high gain tone. What's your tone chain bro?

20. tooloud

tooloud Tele-Meister

Les paul into PC Studio One 4 Using Helix Native Plugin amp Brit J45 Brt with there Compulsive Drive OCD Type In front of the amp, Intro was Neck pickup without The Compulsive drive
    The Hot tone was Bridge Pickup with the drive on It was in your Face, I Liked it...... I Like'd the behind the nut Bend Lick..... I forgot to bump the power on the MP3 file its a little Low volume.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.