Mid Week Backing Track - Blues 01.29.20

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Alan L Cole, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Tele-Afflicted

2. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Thanks Alan!

Raimonds, ASATKat, udoering and 7 others like this.
  3. Alan L Cole

Here's mine:

Raimonds, ASATKat, udoering and 6 others like this.
  4. Alan L Cole

Cool song pic and sweet blues riffin' Mark. Nice raking and fun bends - dig that tone too. Bluestastic!

5. alainvey

alainvey Tele-Holic

Thanks for standing in, Al!

6. Alan L Cole

That's really sweet @alainvey. Nice tone and beautiful vibrato. Dig the arps, melodic riffs and general noodling.

7. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks Alan. I grabbed a dead string Strat and hacked through this.

Raimonds, ASATKat, udoering and 5 others like this.
  8. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thanks , Alan. I should've bowed out after the first couple minutes or so.

Mike, I hope you're feeling better soon.

Raimonds, ASATKat, udoering and 5 others like this.
  9. Alan L Cole

@fendrguitplayr - That's a different fx on the intro Mike. Like the clean tone and the melodic blues phrasing that followed. Nice vibrato too. Hope you're feeling better.
    @Mellencaster - Nice tone and cool sway to your playing Mike. Nice use of octaves and verb resulting in a cool, laid back track. Glad you didn't bail on it.

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  10. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

So, I had great contrarian plans for this. I got my Deering Americana banjo out from under the bed. I put new strings on it. I tried clawhammer, but it would fit with the rhythm. So I tried to resurrect my bluegrass-style fingerpicking rolls. That didn't work either. It was all for naught, though it was good to get the banjo out again. So, I thought screw it, got out the Agile LP and did this, one take, which is what I should have done from the beginning.

11. guitarsophist

@Mjark - Nice feel and great tone along with Albert King approved licks. Very nice. Actually, it was your take that made me think of the banjo stuff because you had already covered the traditional Albert King sort of approach in such a definitive way.
    @Alan L Cole - Kind of a fusion approach to a straight ahead blues. Nice tone and out there riffs. Was there an acoustic there at the end?
    @alainvey - Interesting unconventional phrasing. You tend to leave big spaces in the middle of the riff, which creates anticipation and interest.
    @fendrguitplayr - The tone and the noise make it sound like it is being piped in from the International Space Station. Ah, but then there is a straight up clean tone. This is a pretty good take! And then octaves!
    @Mellencaster - Like the low register stuff. It sounds like you are using a good part of the fretboard. Relaxed bluesy feel. Everything fits really well with the track.

12. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A one shot early morning recording.

13. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Thanks...took me back in time for some reason....late 80's in some old rehearsal room jamming with my mates....I miss that...we had a slick blues that had that same feel to it!
    So I tried to get that old feel into it... haha oh gods I feel the passing of time..
    Hope the health improves Mike.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  14. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

@Mjark very nice tone and laidback relaxed playing! Really dig the bends and such.
    @Alan L Cole fat tones...love the different lines and swells...dig the ending!
    @alainvey Lovely sound and playing...dig the feel of all the time in the world for this tune!
    @fendrguitplayr different lo-fi intro works well, nice contrast to the clean sound...and then you digged in and the reverb responded...sweet bends!
    @Mellencaster Nice warm tone and like that almost dancing guitar feel! Nice octaves!
    @guitarsophist A really mellow relaxing take.....love the little melodies that waves around with the rhythmic stops!
    @udoering Really dig what you have been doing lately, loads of cool tones and a wonderful feel to it! Cool bites and sweet bends and phrasings!

15. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

- Cool! feels like a mix of Santana and Gary Moore.

- I think you've been working on your Blues chops.

- You don't sound sick!

- 4+ minutes is a long time but you filled it out quite well.

- A six string or a real banjo? I think you made the right decision. Sweet stuff! I have Deering banjo story. Quite a while back I was at NAMM and playing a Deering six string banjo in their booth. Someone else started playing along with me. I looked over and it was John Sebastian. Big Al Anderson was with him and he seemed to be giving me the stink eye. I stopped playing after a few more seconds. Of course I now regret that I didn't keep it going.

- Sounds good Ullrich! Nice dynamics as you turn up the heat and lay off.

- Lovely light feel but tone that has some sting!

16. Alan L Cole

@guitarsophist - Cool, laidback vibe GS. You sit in the track nicely. Nice phrasing with a dash of jazz. (No acoustic on my track)
    @udoering - Sweet phrasing Ullrich. Dig that tone and your use of dynamics. Nice melodic, jazzy trippin'. Cool!
    @NWinther - Dig that delay and your emotive riffin' Niels. Sweet volumn swells. Sweet!

udoering and NWinther like this.
  17. guitarsophist

It's an actual 5-string that I bought four years ago, played a lot for two years, and then let sit under the bed for two years. I learned some traditional tunes and at one point, just for a laugh, I figured out how to play "The Wind Cries Mary" on it, as perhaps the most unlikely banjo tune ever. I felt like I was in a rut on guitar playing and I wanted to do something really different. It will take a month or so to get back to where I was on it.

Mjark and NWinther like this.
  18. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@Mjark : I really dig your playing style you have developed in the last months. A fine example that playing a lot of notes in a very short time has nothing to do with expression. You also dialed in a very fine sound, and there are more than one very good licks.
    @Alan L Cole : that´s a playing style I haven´t heard from you for a long time; so full of energy and expression - great stuff, love it!
    @alainvey : you play this one much more emotional than usual; the jazzy licks don´t take away the emotions. Beautiful Strat sound. Keeping it interesting till the end.
    @fendrguitplayr : I know that I also tend to change sounds within a track, but to be honest, the change from the heavy distorted guitar to the clean sound was a little too much for me. Besides that, I think you played an expressive track with a beautiful clean sound, nice octaves, bendings and finger vibrato!
    @Mellencaster : very nice mixture of "cool" sounding passages and expressive / eruptive stuff.
    @guitarsophist : lovely clean mellow sound; like stated above, you blend very good with the bt. And Niels is right with those little melodies.
    @NWinther : I think you got into that feeling that you described; like how you work with the dynamics, from nearly clean to that haunting distortion. Very expressive.

19. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Mjark,
    You have cool tone and a sweet reverb just past the edge of the tone, much like Greeny.
    Your blues is like a snake on the hunt. Forward motion.
    Nice subdividing, timing and pocket.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    fendrguitplayr and NWinther like this.
  20. guitarsophist

I actually work on fitting with the backing track at the end of the process. I record direct into Reaper using an amp modeling plugin. I set up a basic sound that I think will work. I usually turn the backing track down pretty low so that I can hear what I am playing. When I have something sort of acceptable, I bring the backing track back up, pan the two tracks a bit apart from each other, then work to get the levels balanced. I often put a bit of compression on the guitar because the backing track is usually pretty compressed. If the levels are ok, but the guitar sort of sticks out in front of the track, I put some room reverb on the guitar to try to make it fit with the ambience of the track. When the band has room ambience and the guitar is too dry, it really sticks out. I sometimes spend more time fiddling with this stuff than the actual playing, but I think it improves my mixing skills too.

On this last track, I didn't need the room reverb. Somehow the spring reverb from the modeler was enough to get it in the right space.

udoering and ASATKat like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.