Mid/ Treble boost?

GM4500

TDPRI Member
I'm playing a custom shop 51 tele into a jcm 800 (I know, it's not a great match).

I'm trying to get a smooth overdrive, sustained sound. I think with quite a lot of mids. Boosting the treble I get a shrill sound from the tele. Even with straight into the 800 I find the tele sounds quite shrill - probably because a tele and 800 aren't the best match.

I'm trying to achieve a similar tone to the lead guitar here, few seconds in: Lead tone

How would others achieve a similar tone with a tele?

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity
I'll just say the Unit 67 is the best thing I have EVER put in front of a tube amp. No affil.

GM4500

TDPRI Member
Graphic equalizer. Yeah, I know, nobody cares, nobody listens, it can't be that simple...but once in a blue moon somebody tries one and...they get it.
Funny you say this, I used a Boss 7 band and boosted the mids, it was the closest I've got to the tone I was looking for... I should go back to it. I stopped because it felt wrong!!

Keep it simple!

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
what are the tone controls on the amp at?

I wouldn't run the treble knob above 1 or 2 on an 800 with single coils.

Turn the mids up and add a touch of presence to taste.

Duncan

Tele-Meister
I use Marshalls and Teles almost exclusively. I have amps from all different eras and glancing on my 800, here's where I set mine last. (I do have a very early combo 800) Presence: ZERO, Treble:3, Middle:6 Bass:6 Preamp and Master Volume to suit your taste. They're getting expensive lately, but I have a few original RAT overdrive pedals. They work very well with Marshalls, IMHO. I have not played around with newer boutique overdrives too much.

I also roll the tone up and down on the guitar frequently.

I realize not everybody has the same idea of tone, but that is generally where I start, and adjust them depending on how loud were playing, and what the room sounds like.

GM4500

TDPRI Member
Rolling the tone control back on the guitar and finding the sweet spot is the key, IMHO. The Marshalls from that era are pretty bright.
True, although would you agree the lead tone in the video link is quite bright, or would you say that's more mid heavy?

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
This is a great mids boost. They also make a fantastic treble boost but if your lagging in mids territory this is the boost to get you there.

jakatone

Tele-Meister
I'm playing a custom shop 51 tele into a jcm 800 (I know, it's not a great match).

I'm trying to get a smooth overdrive, sustained sound. I think with quite a lot of mids. Boosting the treble I get a shrill sound from the tele. Even with straight into the 800 I find the tele sounds quite shrill - probably because a tele and 800 aren't the best match.

I'm trying to achieve a similar tone to the lead guitar here, few seconds in: Lead tone

How would others achieve a similar tone with a tele?
Recorded a whole album trough a 62' custom tele and a JCM 800. The tele had an EMG set, but the thing that made it fantastic was the EMG mid boost. Very smooth, very organic. Highly recommend.

63 vibroverb

Tele-Afflicted
I owned a JCM800 2203 head so I know it's BRIGHT. Try some extreme settings, like for example:

Treble all the way down
Presence all the way down
Mids all the way up
Bass to taste

ronmail65

TDPRI Member
I've had the same rig and use similar rigs today. I recommend the following amp settings... Treble = 0, Bass = 6/7, Mid = 6/7, Presence 3/4. If this is still to bright, dial back the tone knob on your Tele just a touch.

EDIT - the lead tone on that video also sounds like he might 'out of phase', or running with a low chorus setting. Either one could affect your perception of brightness.

GM4500

TDPRI Member
EDIT - the lead tone on that video also sounds like he might 'out of phase', or running with a low chorus setting. Either one could affect your perception of brightness.

Interesting you say that, because I've always thought I heard that. I've never found anyone else to say the same though.

I'm not sure how out of phase works, if you need a 4 ways switch or if you can achieve through effects?
The low chorus I've tried, and with a very low pre-delay it's very similar to the lead tone in the video - I thought I was mad trying that, maybe not so much after all.

ronmail65

TDPRI Member
Interesting you say that, because I've always thought I heard that. I've never found anyone else to say the same though.

I'm not sure how out of phase works, if you need a 4 ways switch or if you can achieve through effects?
The low chorus I've tried, and with a very low pre-delay it's very similar to the lead tone in the video - I thought I was mad trying that, maybe not so much after all.
If a guitar had a nose, and you could hold it's nose while you play - imagine how that would sound. That's the 'out of phase' honk. Unfortunately, I'm not very technical. Since guitars don't have noses, I can't be of much assistance.

That said, I feel like it's probably more of a low chorus setting or maybe some other modulation effect with a low / subtle setting. Generally speaking, I find that a very low chorus setting can really enhance tone without becoming a perceptible modulation / wave. I use it quite often.

GM4500

TDPRI Member
If a guitar had a nose, and you could hold it's nose while you play - imagine how that would sound. That's the 'out of phase' honk. Unfortunately, I'm not very technical. Since guitars don't have noses, I can't be of much assistance.

That said, I feel like it's probably more of a low chorus setting or maybe some other modulation effect with a low / subtle setting. Generally speaking, I find that a very low chorus setting can really enhance tone without becoming a perceptible modulation / wave. I use it quite often.
That's exactly it. It's a naisle hollow like sound.