Mid control for a Tweed Champ/Princeton

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Bacha009, Feb 12, 2015.

1. anthrotony

anthrotony Tele-Meister

A quasi-blackface tone is exactly what I'm hoping for. Thanks for the advice on feeding straight from the standard tonestack into this switchable mod. I don't know if you've ever seen a discussion/schematics for a hybrid 5E3 build the constructor called the Nightbird Reverb? He opted for a switchable fixed tonestack using a 100K resistor in place of the pot, and the caps are 0.094uF and 0.022uF... Can you extrapolate from that how it would work compared with your version of the mod (apart from no variability of course)? I'm in the process of deciding if I want to go simple, fixed BF mod, or variable as in your schematics and layouts. Thanks a lot for your huge help in mod-land :)

robrob likes this.
  2. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Anybody else out there try the framus mid control? I'm also thinking of giving it a whirl in my Musicmster Bass amp as I usually have the tone control nearly dimed and use my guitar tone pots to get it in the sweet spot. A mid or 'blackface' control sounds like it would be just the ticket for this amp!

3. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

anthrotony, download the Duncan tone stack calculator (just google it). You can plug in all those variables and see graphically how the mods change the tone stack's behavior.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  4. SOYRAFA

SOYRAFA TDPRI Member

Could the mid scoop blackface be played in a fixed way in a 5f1 tweed champ? no potentiometer, always on?

Comparing my 5f1 with a silverface champ (treb 5 / bass 5)... I rather like the silver tone

5. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Just to be devil's advocate, why not just use some kind of equalizer? Then you can cut or boost whatever frequencies you like and no amp knob will give you that kind of flexibility.

The reason I ask is that lately I've come to realize that I prefer amps with no tone stack for that purer tone and then use pedals and the guitar to take care of the rest.

robrob likes this.
  6. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I like to run a wampler black 65 into my goodsell champton. Works like a charm.

darkwaters likes this.
  7. kleydejong

kleydejong Tele-Holic

Yes you could just replace the pot with two resistors. If a pot has 3 terminals 1 - 2 - 3 then you replace it with a resistor from 1 - 2 and another from 2 - 3. The values of the two resistors together should be equal to the value of the pot. Then how you split the value between the two resistors mimics the sweep of the pot. So if you have a 100k linear pot, you could put two 50k resistors to mimic 5 out of 10 on the knob.

robrob and DanceCanse like this.
  8. kleydejong

kleydejong Tele-Holic

I've found the location of the tone filtering can have an impact on the sound of the amp. Especially if you are creating distortion. Placing it earlier tends to have more effect on the character of the distortion. Fuzzy, loose, vintage-y vs tight and modern. Placing it later is more of a pure EQ experience that doesn't alter the character and simply the end frequency response.

All that said I still agree that an EQ pedal is a great choice and very underrated. Your preferred setup is a great option. It is just that I can think of a few tones that would be a bit harder to truly nail like that.

darkwaters likes this.
  9. SOYRAFA

SOYRAFA TDPRI Member

Well I'm a guitar/cable/amp, player boy, I like that things and the music minimalist ;) but I prefer the tone of the silverface champ to that of the tweed champ.

The fact is that I can't get a blackF/silverF Champ here, and I already have a '57 champ.

I have made several modifications already in my '57, coupling caps, filter caps, bright cap... a fixed mids scoop would be the icing on the cake.

But as I am a musician, not a technician, I ussually follow the instructions I read here and there, and I start welding the new values, with a success ;)

So could someone tell me, or more much better, draw it, how that mid cut would be mounted with 2 resistors in the 5F1 tweed champ layout?

I would be very grateful.

10. SOYRAFA

SOYRAFA TDPRI Member

5F1_Layout.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.