1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mid-70s Twin Reverb vs Early-70s - Is the MV the only difference?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by itsGiusto, Dec 24, 2020.

1. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

A Twin Reverb through a Hiwatt cab is really awesome! Rewired my Hiwatt cab (also from 74) to 4 ohms back in the 90s.
    Come to think of it I wonder if I ever changed it back? Maybe I've been running my Marshalls at 16 ohms into a 4 ohm cab all these years.
    Should probably check that. :)

2. telejnky

telejnky Tele-Meister

I left mine at 16 ohms didn’t seem to bother the twin at all
    I love that about old fenders couldn’t kill em with a stick

BobbyZ likes this.
  3. fatz treeboy

fatz treeboy TDPRI Member

tone wise there is no differance...... usability wise no differance......... my info comes from Realguitars and Guitronics, two old school fender shops in san francisco who make a living on used amps for 35 yrs now.......... with the mv turn it to 10 and use ur volume like u would on a non mv...... believe it of not i even use my push pull twin reverb factory distortion featuer... which people have been poo pooing for 40 years :). and sometimes i crank the pre-amp n turn down the mv.... that is how it is designed to be used.... people r a lil biased w/ herd mentality to dismiss these gems so easily.... i got a 73 combo, n a 75 cut down head....... these r cheap to work on, and they were jerry garcias foundation for his califonia tone......

i wanna bump ur comment about how low prices r now for sf twins..... there r 3 on c-list, bay area right now under 600..... btw, i play mine in an apartment setting at 2.5 or 3 volume, and ten MV.... its not to loud... at 6 or 7 it is :)

Telecastoff1, Tim S and Wally like this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

fatz, one can also run that TR at 6-7 on the pr3mp with the MV at 10 and play quietly. I suggest this to people as a training aid for learning how to control their pick attack and the guitar output volume setting. Afterall, there are people who play an unamplified acoustic too ‘loudly’ for a home setting...or anywhere else for my ears! Hard pick attack is no good at anytime unless one is looking for a cacophony of a certain sort for effect.

5. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I think the early SF Twin Reverbs are the best value wise. I don’t really like the ULs myself, they’re nearly solid state, overly clean sounding to me but the early SFs can be made very close to a Blackface sound wise. The original Blackface Fender amps have gotten so expensive I’d look for a 68 to 71 and Blackface it myself.

fatz treeboy and Wally like this.
  6. Wally

In real terms, the larger BF amps have lost value since the 1990s due to the small amp craze. In today’s money, an exc cond/all-originals value back then would be just over $4100 today...and that ain’t happening, is it? A BFTR or BFSR was at least if not more than twice the value of a DR or a Prin Rev.....it is just the opposite today.

fatz treeboy and BobbyZ like this.
  7. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Holic

I was wondering about that! I paid significantly more for a 1972 SFPR in 2015 than I did just now for this 1969 SFTR. I was wondering if I just got fleeced or if there was some reason the PR would cost more.

Edit: PR = Princeton Reverb here

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    Wally likes this.
  8. Wally

“PR”....Po Revrb or Princeton Reverb...Prin Rev for sort in my world??? I think you are meaning Prin Rev, but...????

9. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Holic

Haha, sorry. Princeton Reverb

Wally likes this.
  10. fatz treeboy

fatz treeboy TDPRI Member

very cool sir :) i should do that more..... i read once where jerry garcia liked his set ups with high action and his amps set prickly clean..... touch sensitive to the max...... :) carry on with your bad self.....

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.