1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

mid 67 to mid 68 silverface amps.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by buckwalder, Feb 13, 2015.

1. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Is anyone aware of the unique features of the early silverface amps.
    Like the double green thread grillcloth and the fact that some of them had a tailess logo.

At one time I had a collection of these amps. The double green thread grill cloth was used on the early examples.

The book, " Fender amps the first 50 years" shows a couple of examples. One of the examples is an add with a young couple with silverface amps behind them. I don't have the book handy to give the page # of that add.

I was hoping some of you might have examples of these amps and can post close ups of the grill cloth and the tailess logo.

2. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Here is my 1969 Bandmaster Reverb Top. The bottom is stored away... as it is too huge. It has a bluish-green thread going through the weave. I thought it was called blue-sparkle.... Or is the green a 'really green' color?... Different from the Blue-sparkle??

Attached Files:

3. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

The "unique features" don't stop there. Wait until you see under the hood.

4. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

I always liked the trim around the grill cloth.

5. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Thats a nice head, but that is the later grill cloth that started in mid 68.

6. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

The double green thread was two threads right next to each other and did not sparlkle. This grillcloth was not as course as the later sparkle thread grillcloth. And some of these amps came with a tailless logo. The tailless logo is different than the tailless logo that fender used in the 70's. It didn't have the trademark R and the screw placement is different.

7. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

I would ike to know what the differences:):):) are between the two...

8. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

The larger amps had a few changes to the circuit to help with poor lead dress.
    Most of the changes that really effected tone were done when they went from cloth wire to plastic. And added caps to the power tubes to help with parasitic overtones or something like that.
    On the early silverface amps with the cloth wiring the changes were minor and in my opinion not worth blackfacing.
    The early silverface amps sound great i think.

9. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

68 Drip Edge

Love the look of the 68-67 Drip Edge amps. Picked up my '68 Vibro Champ for a good deal. Great natural Fender overdriven tones at reasonable volumes.

Attached Files:

10. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

That is the double green thread grillcloth i'm talking about. It has more silver thread and is smoother to the touch than the later blue sparkle foil thread.

I would guess your transformers date somewhere between mid 67 to mid to mid 68.

Now we just need to see one with the tailless logo.

11. tremolo1965

tremolo1965 TDPRI Member

Here's the Bronco version March 1968 codes. This is my first post, been enjoying this site for a while! Cheers, Chris
    PC040387.jpg

12. gridlock

That vintage should be the logo with the tail.

13. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

There were some tail- less logos in late '67. My Bronco has a serial number just a few units over 19,000 which could have been a BF Vibro Champ, a SF Vibro Champ or a Bronco. Broncos were all SF. My Bronco has the logo without the tail, typical of drip edge blackline Broncos and apparently a few other drip edge Fenders.

14. tremolo1965

tremolo1965 TDPRI Member

Here's my '72. Just as nice sounding as the '68; pine cab, glued in baffle - Creedence / Mazzy Star tones under 25lbs.. IMG_9045.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  15. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Another fine example with the double green thread grillcloth.

The book " Fender Amps The First 50 Years" shows a period 67-68 add of a silverface with the tailless logo.

I'm not sure but I think these 67 tailless logo's were plastic and a tad smaller than the 70's tailess logo's.

As far as I know there are three different versions of tailless logo's from 67-through the 70's.

The first, that appeared on some of the first silverface amps had the screw between the bottom of the r in fender.

The second had a trademark R and the right hand screw was at the top of the logo.

The third had made in USA as part of the logo.

16. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

You should hook them up to a stereo delay pedal. Nice pair thanks for sharing and I really like that bronco.

17. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Anyway to get a pic of that logo and a close up of the grillcloth ?

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a SFSR with all '67 date codes, but I can't recall the extra green in the cloth or the tailless logo.
    It might have had BF cloth IIRC.

I have a later- '69 Twin, and a second drip edge era Twin faceplate with "amp" on it.
    Plus some logos, not all the same, none plastic though.
    A tailless logo has no underline at all below the letters?

19. gridlock

Thanks Muchxs, I learned something new. That also explains a near mint '68 drip edge Princeton Reverb that I've looked at for sale locally in my area. The SFPR Looked all original except for the logo (without a tail) and for the fact that someone had installed casters on it. Apparently I was wrong, at least about the logo not being original. I believe that the SFPR is still available at $1399.00. Sounds a little overpriced to me.

20. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Did you say CASTERS on a PRINCETON REVERB ?

Guys a sissy. Go over there and tell him you'll give him 500 bucks and if he don't like it you'll take his milk money.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.