1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mid 60s bassman and bandmaster cabs question

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Timjag, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Timjag

Timjag TDPRI Member

Apologies for asking a question that’s undoubtedly been asked before. I have a late 64 bassman piggyback (black tolex, blackface) head needs a cab.

bandmasters seem more available and cheaper - are they the same?

I suspect the piggyback screw flanges are further apart as the head is smaller on a bassman, but I’m sure I could easily be wrong on that.

and .... anyone got a 2x12 bassman cab of that era? - doesn’t have to be loaded, could be a beater, although I’d prefer original tolex and hard ware, the amp is not mint just be nice to find it a mate

Tim

2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

The screw spacing is different.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  3. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Strangely, the small Fender 2X12 cab of that era is harder to find than Bassman or Bandmaster heads. I wonder if the cabs got repurposed? When I found my '67 Bandmaster, it took me two years to find a Fender styled small 2X12. It ended up being a used Mojotone repro cab from Guitar Denter. During the 70's, I remember I had several heads but no cabs as well.

[​IMG]

4. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In the late sixties we used those Bandmaster cabs for PAs!

Paul G. likes this.
  5. NTC

NTC Tele-Holic

I used to have a 3 x 12 Fender cab with two cheap Radio Shack 12s and cardboard covering the third hole. I have no idea what that was from.

6. Timjag

Timjag TDPRI Member

Pete Townsend started the trend for plugging bassman heads into 4x12s I guess the 2x12 was forever discarded. I have an early 70s 2x15 which is sounds great for bass, very get back era. But it would be nice to have it complete

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Lol.....I have an intermediate sized, vertical 2x12 Bassman cab from Jan, 1967 that I cannot give away even though it has the OEM Jensen C12Ns in it. It was in sad, neglected condition when I bought it, but the speakers were fine and original. I had to build a new divider for the interior and regrille the baffleboard. It sounds great...but no one wants to cart it around. It doesn’t fit in their small vehicles. It is just too big!!! Everyone who hears it likes it, though. I can always pull the speakers and sell them, but there are date matching codes that prove the speakers left the Fender factory in this cab!! I need a BF Bassman from January, 1967. This cab has a build date written inside of JAN 5, 1967. I probably have owned such an amp....maybe the one that came with this cab!?!?!
    A person just has to chuckle considering the first post looking for ‘unobtanium’ while DADGAD shows us a cab that is a reproduction of either a BF Bandmaster or Bassman cab..depending on that spacing of the screws. People are having repro built of cabs that had to have been in existence when the heads were sent to stores back in the day, and there are people looking for cabs that are very hard to sell! Eeeehaw.....
    Good luck with the search, Timjag.

8. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, the spacing of the thumbscrew nuts is different. I had bought a blackface Bandmaster head without a cab and then bought a cab that came from a Bassman. I just added two more nuts so I can use for either size head. Incidentally, I later modified the cab by taking out a little of the inside speaker board framing, and made a new speaker board to hold two 15s in place of the original two 12s. I should have stained the board black before putting on the grille cloth.

3ADDBF09-61DC-4A25-96DB-C8C35927104A.jpeg

9. surf_jimi

surf_jimi TDPRI Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.