Microsoft Home & Student 2021 v. Microsoft 365

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
I just got a new Macbook (Air M1). I suspect that my current MS Office apps won't migrate over and that I'll have to either buy the Office Home & Student 2021 ($150) or get a Microsoft 365 Personal subscription ($70/year).

I have a work laptop so my needs are few. I really need only MS Word and Outlook.

It seems a no-brainer to get the Home & Student 2021. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Larry Mal

Tele-Meister
Well, your Mac will come with Pages, a word processor that's pretty good and does work with the .docx format.

It also comes with Mail, which is roughy comparable to Outlook, but it's not as good by any means.

That being said, an email client is only useful if you really need to have multiple accounts and calendars feeding in to one application. Otherwise just save yourself trouble and hassle and just go to the source of the email and skip the additional layers.

So you might not need either of those things. Do you already have an email account? How many do you have?

warrent

Friend of Leo's
The real advantage to the 365 version is storage, you get 1 terabyte for each account, my sub has five accounts so I have 5Tb of online storage.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
The real advantage to the 365 version is storage, you get 1 terabyte for each account, my sub has five accounts so I have 5Tb of online storage.

And there are mobile apps that do or can use that storage to sync between mobile, cloud and desktop.

@GGardner your Air has a very good mail program that will work perfectly with Microsoft's online (and Google) mail and even sync to your work tenant if that's 365/Azure. If you have 365/Azure for work you can also install it at home. Excel is a strong reason to use 365 just like Word even though others here are correct about what you get with the laptop or can get for free.

You also want to pursue native M1 programs even though the Rosetta emulation is excellent because in some cases that's what gets you the beyond anything like it battery life and speed. If you use Teams for work download Edge for M1 and run it in a browser tab for a way to use much less RAM and battery.

Don't forget Time Machine drive(s) for backup.