Microphonic Madness - please Help :(

Deadman1

Tele-Meister
Hello.
Damn... :cry:

I took my favourite Tele and was like... I want it to make even more perfect...
Since I really like the dirty sound of hot rails in my other Tele... I wanted to try a Dimarzio Dual-Rail-type Humucker in single coil size. Or at least i wanted to hear if it would sound as awesome as i would have imagined.

Well after i changed it... it is microphonic as hell.
when I use the Bigsby tremolo when plugged in. i can hear the spring bending through the amp.
i can hear my fingers sliding. i hear every metallic vibration.
When I poke on any part of the bridge.. i hear it in my amp.
Damn....

What went wrong??
Any help is appreciated...

I only have two guitars and this one is my grail...
and i feel so stupid for opening the guitar up again, as it was such a pain to get the bigsby and string height perfect

----
Here's what I did...
  • I took out the old stock pickup...
  • took a strat style dimarzio dual rail...
  • used the copper part from underneath the stock pickup and put it under the strat style dimarzio...
  • soldered a wire from pickup bare wire to copper plate
  • next i took my dremel and shaved some wood away - so the "ears" from the strat pup fit underneath the bridge
  • screwed everything back together
  • ERROR

Here's a photo of the bridge itself (with the original pickup)

mEl6W2v.jpg

here's how i tried to make the strat a tele pup
qTAwvU4.jpg

0hVQcY8.jpg

Last edited:

Deadman1

Tele-Meister
Some more info:
  • The pickup should be good... it was the middle pickup on my Nashville Tele... and it sounded great... not microphonic AT ALL
  • When i first screwed it together the ears from the strat style pickup didnt fit well enough in the carved out spacing...
    so the PLY bridge was not closing the gap perfectly... i dremeled out some more until the bridge plate was fitting and even on the guitar top again.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Are you sure it's not the metal plate contributing to it? That seems to be the only difference. Did you try removing the plate to see how it sounds?

Deadman1

Tele-Meister
Are you sure it's not the metal plate contributing to it? That seems to be the only difference. Did you try removing the plate to see how it sounds?
Thank you very much for the reply !! :)
You think, this could be a factor?
I havent tried it without, as i'm not quite sure how to mount the strat style pup without it.. as the holes don't align...
i could try screwing it directly into the wood "p90 style"

yettoblaster

Tele-Meister
Thank you very much for the reply !! :)
You think, this could be a factor?
I havent tried it without, as i'm not quite sure how to mount the strat style pup without it.. as the holes don't align...
i could try screwing it directly into the wood "p90 style"

Glue the plate onto the pickup.
With extreme Gorilla Glue prejudice

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
If simple stuff fails, I would remove the offending pickup (cover and all) and wax pot the entire assembly. This is what I have done with a couple really microphonic Bullet neck pickups and it killed the unwanted noise totally. Now I can walk on them with no microphonics! If this doesn't help, you likely need to rethink your "improvements".

Deadman1

Tele-Meister
@Boreas @yettoblaster @Wound_Up
Thank you so much for your help.
Finally had the chance to do this,.. and all the microphonic madness is gone... Hell yes

now another problem arised or possibly now i could hear it, since the microphonics are gone...

-----
The Pickup, which is supposed to sound like a dark humbucker... soundy icepicky as hell

Details in this new thread...

THREAD - PLEASE CLICK HERE>>>

Please help :cry:

Last edited:

guitar_paul1

Tele-Holic
That's a bit confusing.
You are getting ~18k at the tone pot (between which two points?) but yet nothing on the pickup reads 18k?
It would be easier to give advice if you could post a schematic.

It does make a very ice picky sound if a humbucker is wired with one of its two coils reversed. Also if one of its two coils is shorted.

Last edited:

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
That's not a bad idea :):cool: I used a lil blob of hot glue

That doesn't do the same thing, if getting rid of microphonics is the point. It's best if there's a uniform layer of something between the plate and the pickup so there are no air gaps that might let the plate resonate. Wax does the job, as does double-stick tape.