Microphones on a clean PRRI/DRRI

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by cravenmonket, Feb 25, 2020.

1. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Meister

Anyone experiment with unconventional mic techniques when recording these amplifiers clean?

I have been trying to find a sound I can even tolerate with traditional mic techniques using an SM57 and various other mics (mostly LDC and SDC) close up.

Honestly the best sound I got today was a pair of SDCs 12" away, pointing slightly inwards towards the center of the cone, and a pair of LDCs five feet away. Four condenser mics on a single tube amp. No SM57s at all, and nothing right up on the cloth. It sounded much more dynamic and natural for the clean, airy stuff I was tracking (noodly fingerstyle ramblings).

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  2. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We had recorded the BF Deluxe NoVerb with a 57 angled next to the cone and an LDC about three feet away. I thought it sounded pretty good until we put a really pricey ribbon a foot in front of the amp. We went back and re-recorded almost all the Tele parts.

We don't have that ribbon anymore. I tried a cheapish Cascade Big Head...Not quite as good but better than the 57/LDC combo.

3. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Meister

Yeah I was surprised actually. I have recorded other amps with a combination of 57 and an LDC close up, but when I was working with the PRRI I couldn't find a spot where I liked the result with a 57, even blended with condensers.

I wonder if it has something to do with the dynamics of recording fingerstyle electric guitar with very clean amp settings, lots of onboard reverb, and nothing else in the mix. A 57 produces a very flat, narrow, rather thin response which probably works better for rhythm guitar, or overdriven guitar sounds.

I've been treating my PRRI in the same way I'd treat an acoustic guitar if I was recording in the same space - I love the sound of a couple condensers and nothing else on an acoustic guitar. Airy, spacious, warm... that's the tone I am trying to capture.

4. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I actually am not a fan of the SM57 for micing amps. I bought a Sennheiser E609 and prefer it every time. A cheap upgrade.

telestratosonic and Pineears like this.
  5. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

One lesson I've learned about recording...Everything matters, and nothing matters.

TokyoPortrait and Treehouse like this.
  6. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

For clean Princeton recording best I’ve done so far is a Sennheiser E906, thru a Sansamp. It’s a digital model of a Sansamp included in my digital mixers effects. The amp like Sansamp tone shaping seems to be able to get real close to the actual sound on my Vintage Sound V15, with volume at 3-4.

7. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

An SM57 shines in a band mix where it pokes through nicely. It sounds like you are recording solo guitar where you need a natural sound and maybe some room in there. Your approach makes sense in that context.

8. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

A 57 starts to cut bass starting around 200hz, and it has a high midrange bump. This is good for a band setting where other instruments handle bass, and the high midrange gives clarity in a guitar "sweet spot".
    Might not be what you want for a more sparse recording where you want some bass.

9. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I’m not a fan of 57s for micing a clean Princeton. I never could record a sound that was close to what the Princeton sounded like.

10. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

Have you tried miking the back of the amp and trying different blends of back-to-front to see if phase cancellation/comb filtering can work to your advantage? Try the back mic with the phase flipped either way too. Might hit on something that sounds good amongst the proportions that sound bad.

11. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

A close mic, a mic a few feet away ( not SM57's ), i.e., pretty much what you're doing. Try the SM57 pointing into the rear of the cabinet, toward the cone. Lower the level of it on the mixer.

Hmm. @mexicanyella posted seconds before me. Great minds ramble alike :)

mexicanyella likes this.
  12. AlbertoMilanese

AlbertoMilanese Tele-Meister

Sm57 or E906 in combo with a Royer R121. Given the right position, that's simply the sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.