1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Microphone into amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by oldgofaster, Jan 3, 2014.

1. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

My son and I jammed tonight on guitars and thought we might want to add vocals. We play old rock, Stones, blues, Allman Bros. type stuff. We use a '68Princeton R, and an Excelsior with Tele and LP or 335.

My question is what microphone would work into a guitar amp?
    I have a Silvertone 1482 with a mic channel and we could plug into there. Thought we might get that John Mayall vocal sound.

My budget would be in the $100-$150 dollar range and I buy used stuff from Guitar Center usually. Looking for something nice.

I know nothing about mics and their cords, etc. I don't really want to get into a PA, as we play in my office and don't want to add a bunch more stuff to our setup.

Thanks for your info.

2. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Over the years I have ran all kinds of microphones into all kinds of amps. No problem. You will either want a Hi Z mic with a 1/4" plug or a Low Z transformer. A cheap little 4 channel mixer will give you all kinds of options. For 150 you can get any number of nice mics, say a SM58 and a transformer.

3. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

Hey Sam, Thanks, I never heard of a low z transformer...lol
    I figured there would be a way to use a Shure type/quality mic.
    The SM58 I knew from a praise group I play with, just not sure how to go into the amp.
    You learn something everyday.

4. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got no idea about what kind of mics we used to use back in the 60's, but that's the way we sang vocals, mic straight into one channel of an amp.
    I never plugged one in that didn't work okay.

5. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

Sam's exactly right. For a microphone like the SM58 or similar, you'll need a transformer with XLR female 600 ohm input and hi-Z 1/4" output. Here's one example; here's another example; here's a possibly confusing list of ebay search results. (I have no connection with any of the vendors.)

Back in the '80s and early '90s I worked as a one-person band. I ran everything-- vocals, guitar, drum machine and bass pedals-- through the "PA." I had a couple, but preferred my Peavey KB400 keyboard powered mixer, which had only hi-Z inputs. I got a couple of Radio Shack house-brand transformers similar to the ones pictured on the linked pages, and they served me very well. (I had and have no connection with Radio Shack, either.)

My first band used a high impedance Shure PE588 into one input of the lead singer's Bandmaster, his guitar (and mandolin and fiddle) into another, and my steel guitar into a third. Fortunately, the bass player had his own amp. The resulting output probably did not meet audiophile standards, but we always got paid...

6. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

I still have the old Layfette crystal mic, that I ran into input two of my MMB, you had to be careful of feed back, but as mentioned above, we always got paid. A Green Bullet into the Silvertone, would be garage band approved, but would definitely impart that Mayall sound.
    Best Buy sells a variety of karaoke mics with a 1/4 inch plug that would be similar to the '70s RS mics, another option is thrift shops, I have quite a collection of old RS,(some made by Shure) Sony, Sansui etc. 1/4' hi z mics that were sold for "home recording" in the '60's and '70s. usually they are less than $10.You may need a $5 "universal" clothes pin style clamp to get 'em on to a mic stand (GC has these) but they will work as well as anything for a informal jam.

7. dngrsdave

dngrsdave Tele-Meister

I bought an inexpensive boom type mic stand with a mic for around $30. - $40.00 with that 1st type of adapter that syrnx mentioned above. It works just fine for at home fooling around.

Whats nice about that type of set-up is I'm able to run the vocal mic thru my DigiTech modeling guitar pedal. This way I was able to add reverb or any other effect to the vocals. It can be a lot of Fun.

8. willyb

willyb Tele-Meister

GC has a nice low budget Sennheiser it's a e838 in your price range. Not to put down the Sure's but they are worth checking out. I did a side by side test, needless to say I sold my SM58's and bought 4 of the Sennheiser's They are hotter and have a great natural sound.

9. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

Shure offers these,, about 20 bucks.

Attached Files:

10. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I've used a Shure SM57 or 58 with a hi-Z cable into a guitar amp many times, and it works fine.

11. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

A simple impedance transformer cable will do the trick, this is one I have used and it works well with any mic:
    www.swamp.net.au/swamp-impedance-transformer-xlr-f-1-4-m.html
    I have also used it with a clip on piezo mic clipped to an acoustic guitar.
    I am sure you would be able to find something similar where you are.

12. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Those self-contained adaptors can be a pain, as they put a lot of downward stress on the jack. The versions with the short pigtail between the ends work much better.

13. oldgofaster

oldgofaster Tele-Meister

Thank so much for the advice. Great bunch of people here...with many different backgrounds.

I found a sm58, heavy -duty stand and the t-former for around $110. I will mount my Samsung 10" Note on the stand and have streaming chords & tabs.

@ dngrsdave, I never thought about running it through a pedal/ processor. I have some stuff laying around to fool with.

Now, to work on playing and singing....lol...
    Harder than it looks, but I try and sing every time I practice and it gets better the more I try it. At first it seemed flat out impossible, although...practice makes pretty good.
    My son loves his '88 US Strat, but after an hour, he was diggin' my MJT Tele relic, Warmoth neck with awesome Harmonic Design pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.