Micromobility, are you in? Is your town?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Feb 14, 2020 at 3:30 PM.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

A tangent we should have when we're shouting about robots in cars and new forms of energy is other simple stuff to improve transportation. A lot of people think micromobility is a battery powered scooter but it's also bike sharing, e-assist bikes and multi-mode transport.

Confession: I'm between having doubts and not a fan on the electric scooters as they are now. I'm a total fan of bike share, the commuter e-bikes, e-bike sharing systems and the combine bike with car and bus.

I know @chris m. has posted about e-bike use but I don't know if that's a pleasure or transportation thing. For work and life I'm often carrying a bicycle with a car. At times I can see myself buying a first tier e-assist commuter bike before replacing my car with a BEV.

One thing that might make all this less silly is my metro area is all in on this. We have good bike/ped corridors, bike racks on busses, and places where you can park an automobile and then go. The counters on the main bike routes show they are in essence keeping thousands of cars out of the rush hour.

The automakers are in on this but I don't know if their efforts will fly. As an example, the Ford e-bike is silly if you compare it to what good bike companies sell at the same price. The Harley-Davidson prototypes look much better than the Ford.

2. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

They keep trying it in Boise, but the equipment keeps getting smashed or stolen.

3. imwjl

The scooters are a mess here but even in a famous for drinking and rowdy university town the B-Cycle system survives. I've wondered if it's enough useful - especially the new e-assist bikes - that there's some respect.

BTW, I think the Starship robots are also surviving but they get stuck in snow.

4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

We had Lime bikes/eBikes in our town last year.

They come and take them all back for the winter. I'm not sure if they'll come back.

I have never rode one. I'm not sure I've really seen anyone ride one. But the bikes seem to move around town so someone is riding them.

I haven't tried the scooters. I think it would be fun to try. Last year I visitied San Diego and the scooters were everywhere... 20 of them on every street corner, 5 different companies. There were plenty of people using them.

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'd rather see a reduction in population. The current systems need for a constant increase in population is causing all these environmental/sustainability issues.

I don't see how churning out a few billion plastic battery powered bikes and transporting them from one side of the planet to the other is going to help anything.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 4:24 PM
    Matt G, Switchy, rangercaster and 6 others like this.
  6. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

LOVE riding my electric bike! So I'm all for it. I ride mostly off road or forest roads.

imwjl likes this.
  7. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

In a city of roughly 875 "incorporated" square miles, micromobility doesn't sound like a comfortable, feasible way to get around, especially since we don't have any sort of reliable mass transit except city buses (neither convenient nor speedy).I
    My Honda CRV is about as "micro" as I'm willing to go.

imwjl likes this.
  8. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Holic

What are you riding?
    Ive been looking at the Sur-Ron and similar performance bikes with interest.

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It cools down during the winter.

dented and Boubou like this.
  10. imwjl

It's proven helpful in my area with or without batteries. This photo link illustrates it. In one area that gets thousands during each rush hour cycle it also solved the physical and financial hurdle of the road and bridge cars use not able to get any wider. The bike/ped bridge they built makes room for about 4-5000 cars on week days.

The e-assist part new to the equation is increasing the corridor use more.

Last summer I was really entertained to see a woman with Trek Super Commuter putt putt along (no sweat) in bound at pace pedal bikers moved when hammering it. After work she went from skirt to tights and would hammer home at max speed that I believe is 28 MPH. The same more direct route with fewer stops is only a 4-10 minute difference when I pedal or drive. That's why this stuff makes a lot of sense.

That one woman stood out for some obvious reasons but what she was doing is catching on.

[​IMG]

telemnemonics and Chunkocaster like this.
  11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Our alternative modes of transportation in our town are people riding horses and horse drawn carriages. With the exception of the organic horse poop in the hardware store and Post Office parking lots, it seems like a better way to go. Especially environmentally speaking.

Besides, E-scooters would get swallowed up by the pot holes during spring break up.:D

dented, RodeoTex and telemnemonics like this.
  12. imwjl

My winter use does drop. I confess. The high was 12 F today. I'm not doing many of the 6 - 10 mile commutes but will still ride the fat bike with studs to post office, bank or library < 2 miles. My posse of 45 - 65 year old funsters will ride to meet for a beer or for some beers.

13. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Watching this thread. I've been a road biker for 30+ years for cardio. Retiring soon and looking to get into a hybrid flat bar bike for around town, small grocery runs etc. So is there a forum as friendly as TDPRI that's centered around non-competitive cycling?

P-Nutz likes this.
  14. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Doesn't seem feasible in Houston. The commutes are fairly long, though people who live close to work might get away with it. The best we have here is Van pools, a minor light rail system and buses.

15. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

If some city started a Corvette share, that is where I would move to.

16. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

To my mind at least, overpopulation is the root cause of just about.......never mind.

Chunkocaster and tubedood like this.
  17. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

This one...
    https://www.addmotor.com/shop/h1-p

Not quite as high octane as the Sur-Ron but legal on the roads and most trails. If you go Sur-Ron you will be limited in where you can ride it...likely similar to dirt bike rules.

18. imwjl

That thing looks pretty sketchy if you're really going to do trail riding. The front end looks steep and the stem too long. They don't list critical specs whether geometry or parts. That looks like risky $2000. I'd want no suspension before poor suspension. Another understanding I have is get Bosch or Yamaha mechanisms.

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

mopeds and powered scooters are nothing new, and there's no need to go about inventing catchy new terms and phrases for them IMO

20. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

Your Mom has a pretty big basement. Is this like the locker in MIB?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.