1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Micro terror hum mystery

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tele-nova, Aug 11, 2020.

1. tele-nova

tele-nova TDPRI Member

so I just turned on my micro terror and was getting this crazy hum. Like the hum you get when you crank the gain and volume to ten, except that I had gain around 4 and volume at 3 . As I started unplugging pedals and checking cables I thought I would try unplugging my vox ac15 (it wasn't powered on just plugged in). Instantly the humming disappeared. Can any of you guys tell me why this would happen?

2. tele-nova

tele-nova TDPRI Member

Well I tried the vox by itself and there is definitely something going on there. Really loud hum coming from the amp on both channels. Its worse when you plug something into the input. Checked for a bad tube but that doesn't seem to be the culprit. Really loud pop when turning the amp off. Guess ill be adding another thing to my collection of stuff in the shop for repairs. So frustrated

3. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Odd. It sounds like there is a ground fault with the Vox that is feeding back into the circuit or something like that - kind of like fluorescent lights in the same circuit.

I don't know - but if unplugging the Vox solved it, and the Vox is noisy, then it sounds like there is a burnt / failed something there. Tech time.

4. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

There was some banter on the net a while back about putting a 3 pin plug in the Micro Terror's & earthing the chassis.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.