mick taylor

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by thunderbyrd, Mar 4, 2019.

1. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

All one has to do is view the Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus. Brian Jones is
    very clearly a drug casulaty, & that is just a few months before he passed. As
    much as i love Brian Jones, he by that point became a liability. The RSs had to jettison
    him to continue on to become the world's biggest RnR band. :cool:

R.I.P. :cry:

Owenmoney likes this.
  2. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Yeah Let it Bleed could be considered Keith’s first solo album. Anyone who doubts Keith’s abilities in the studio really doesn’t understand what he really is to the Stones, he’s the soul, the lifeblood and brains of the music, Charlie and Bill were the Heartbeat but just listen to Gimme Shelter and how the multiple layers of guitar just deliver what is one of the most ethereal and sinister songs of all time with Jaggers harmonica on top of all the guitars, and Midnight Rambler studio version, while lacking the more uptempo of the live version, it is just simple but uniquely varied in its rhythmic diversity and his slide playing in open E just accents e erything perfectly. Keith self edits himself to deliver EXACTLY what the song needed to be sinister and eerie and perfectly compliment the song ?
    So while the Taylor years provided some real nice icing on the cake, I do believe that Let it Bleed showcases that Richards really didn’t need Brian, Taylor or Wood to make great albums come alive.

kookaburra and thunderbyrd like this.
  3. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

He also plays the first solo on oh Carol and one on Little Queenie

dkmw likes this.
  4. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Carol is a Keith Richards clinic. He would say it's a Chuck Berry clinic - but Keef adds flavor IMHO.

kookaburra and Owenmoney like this.
  5. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Keith plays solos all over stones records, wild horses for one, bi*ch for another,monkey man is all Keith and so much of what he plays is rhythm solos. I think the Taylor years were their best but I don’t get the whole Taylor was why the Stones were so great thing, how many bands lose a guitar player and keep on keepin on ?
    I’m pretty sure most of the people on here who think Taylor was the Stones never bought any of his solo stuff, I have Leather Jacket and at best it’s merely ok. Nothing special from the guy who supposedly carried the Stones.
    There are some guitarist who are truly irreplaceable, Gilmours, Page in Zep, but didn’t he replace Beck in the yardbirds or was that the other way around, plus Clapton was replaced in both the Yardbirds and John Mayalls Bluesbreakers ,Peter green, bob welch, Danny kirwan and now Lindsay buckingham in Fleetwood MAC ARE EVIDENTLY ALL REPLACEABLE.
    EVIDENTLY EVERYBODY IN Skynyrd is replaceable,
    Billy Gibbons is irreplaceable
    Stevie Ray is irreplaceable
    Santana is irreplaceable
    EVH is irreplaceable
    Mick Taylor, was evidently replaceable.
    The stone are the stones because Richards writes immediately recognizable intros, and yeah his sonic stew might have all the same ingredients but it’s all in how he stirs the pot.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Marquee Moon, Deeve and dkmw like this.
  6. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Very well said, including the part regarding Ron Wood. Wood is one of my favorite guitarists, but that's based on his Faces work, and also to some extent, his solo work. I like his Stones music, but I also am of the opinion that things were not the same after Taylor left.

7. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

The guitar work of both Keith and Mick on Stray Cat Blues from Ya Ya's is just stunning to me. Ferociously scathing hard blues rock.

8. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Why would anyone think they would be the same ? Of course they’re different, they added a new guitar player. Any band changes when personnel changes. Look at
    Fleetwood Mac, every guitarist brought something different. Wonder what Mike Campbell’s addition will bring.

I find it ironic whenever a band changes somewhat and people complain that they aren’t the same. I heard one Ry Cooder fan complain that Keef stole honky tone women and never did the same thing again. Well he did it once, do you want all Stones songs to be honky took women ? Of course not. And Neil Young got sued for not sounding like Neil Young ! No matter how different his direction he was still making Neil Young music.
    The Stones have done forays into just about every genre of music,blues, country, jazz, rock, reggae, disco, so how can they be the same ? They just go with the flow and tackle all varieties of music. However through it all the sound exactly like the Stones.
    I love the Mick Taylor years, I’m not a fan of Brian Jones, it’s nice he could play any instrument and brought an Elizabethan quality to tracks like Lady Jane etc. however quite frankly I’m not a big fan of those songs. Once Keith started exercising his muscle on Beggars Banquet and Let it Bleed, that’s where the stones started to really shine. Also of note, those two albums were primarily Keef solo albums. Sure Taylor played some country fills on Honky Tonk Women ,and Jones did something on No Expectations, but other that minor contributions, it was Keef. Gimme Shelter, Sympathy, Midnight Rambler, Monkey Man, all Keef.
    So for me, I see the stones as Keefs band.
    His playing defines the stones , was Taylor a great soloist, certainly, but coincidently he left right when the guitar solo aspect was diminishing in general .
    The main thing is music is songs, not solos. Solos are icing on the cake, a flourish, not the substance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  9. kookaburra

You read more into my post than was intended.

Owenmoney likes this.
  10. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

I love the Mick Taylor era the most in The Rolling Stones. I prefer Ronnie Wood in the Faces and I was never much a Brian Jones fan.

For me, Tumbling Dice is the best thing Keef ever did. I can listen to that song over and over and over and never come close to tiring of it. It makes me want to get up and dance. What groove and swagger on that one and I love that tone, supposedly a Les Paul Junior through a Tweed of some sort. My favorite Taylor moment is the solo on Can't You Hear Me Knocking. I love his playing on that. Definitely my favorite era for that band. Great albums.

Exile is the pinnacle of the Stones for me. My three favorites are Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile On Main Street. I love that ragged rock n' roll sound.

thunderbyrd and Owenmoney like this.
  11. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

My remarks were based on the fact that so many people complain about Taylor leaving as the only reason the stones changed. Wasn’t directly aimed at you, the Taylor years were my favorite too. But I don’t pin that on Taylor. I pin that on the fact that Jagger and Richards had reached an age where their lives provided fodder for some really great songs. And it’s songs that most people other than guitar players want to hear. What’s the saying, it’s rhythm guitar that gets the gigs ? Well that’s where Keef shines. He was well ahead of the curve before Taylor showed up. I think it’s mere coincidence that Taylor left right when the music scene in general was shifting away from long guitar solos and back to more song oriented music, new wave and punk hit at that time and reggae was gaining ground. And for the stones Keith was getting more wasted and needed to hit bottom. So after the Canadian bust things took a different path. We’re the stones better, no! Just different. They were past their pinnacle of writing, turning into adults, reluctantly. Having families and such. It happens to most of us. So I just don’t see it as the stones were so great because of Taylor. He’s a great soloist and provided some beautiful stuff, but for me, the stones shouldn’t be beautiful, they should be raunchy !

kookaburra likes this.
  12. kookaburra

Well said! I had not thought of it that way.

13. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I recorded two solos for a blues record back in the eighties. They called and told me my tracks had been cut. I'm about to get upset when they said they were replaced by Mick Taylor. Can't be too upset about that!

Owenmoney, thunderbyrd and kookaburra like this.
  14. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Thank you, I think Taylor was a great guitarist, I really enjoyed the albums he played on, however on some live things like the Brussels Affair, he never stopped soloing, all the way through Gimme Shelter, and several others. For me and this is just my opinion, Keefs rhythm parts are all rhythm solos, but they propel the songs, support and enhance them and leave room for the rest of the band, but he’s always there rock solid holding it together. He provided a solid base for Taylor to fly on. Plus for me when Keef takes a solo it right to the point not wandering and just gets in gets it done and gets out !
    I think in the studio they were able to edit Taylor’s best onto the discs, eschewing the fluff .
    What can I say, I’m a Keef freak !

kookaburra likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.