Mick Taylor

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by EllroyJames, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Tele-Afflicted

MT looks way more fed

2. thinling

thinling Tele-Meister

He should make sure he stands by the bass-player, not Ron Wood!

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Loved his work in the studio but then again he only had at most - 25% to do w/ the success of that era.

Jagger/Richards wrote all the classic songs he played on.

Thought he over-played live back then but not too bad.

They reined him in in the studio.

Cool to see him w/ them now.

Rich people are gonna dig it...

4. daddyopapa

daddyopapa Tele-Afflicted

I love Mick Taylor and his work with the Stones. I've learned many of the fills and solos to "Winter," "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," "Sway," "Moonlight Mile" and "Time Waits for No One."
    The first solo I transcribed for myself when learning guitar was "CYHMK"
    But I can see why Ron worked out better in the band. Check out the live footage of Taylor with the Stones back in the day. Taylor would step up to do his solo and Keef and Mick Jagger would look at each other bored. Then when Taylor was done, He'd step back and look bored. With Ron and Keef, they just never stop playing interweaving rhythm and solos together seamlessly. And Mick Jagger never stops moving. But in the studio, Taylor was king! I believe Taylor just does a couple of songs with the Stones each night.

5. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I have to agree with you, he was really good and added icing to the cake that was the stones greatest song writing period. He still overplays live and I liked him better when he stood still. He just doesn't look right moving around on stage. I think hes a really good player and that was my favorite era of the stones but he was unable to really put anything solid together. I even bought his first solo album but his magic was in frosting the stone cake. Great touch ,tone and feel ,but lack of self editing and constant repetitive licks, tended to drone on, I never realized it until he was gone. I always liked Keefs solos better anyway, I'm not much for the really pretty playing, give me that edge and funkiness anytime. Rawk n roll !

6. hopper

hopper Tele-Meister

That's what I was thinking. :(

7. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Jeez, Taylor really doesn't have that 'snake hipped r'n r' thing going on does he? He looks frankly embarrassing lurching around the stage on Midnight Rambler. He seems to be over-egging the cake a bit too with his playing, though i guess you have to be there to make a genuine call on that.

I always thought that Ronnie was a bit too much like Keef, whereas Taylor brought something extra to the table. Looks like Ronnie has weathered better than MT. They would do better to let him loose in the studio. But please, keep him offstage!

8. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

I think most of us love the MT years of the Stones above any non Brian Jones period after his death. Woody doesn't even touch the power MT gave to timeless Stones cuts that were the best of the bands existence.

Even with the polish of the studio and engineering that came in the 80's and beyond, the Stones would never regain what they lost after MT left.
    I think had it not been for MT Keef may have never found open G.

9. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

I don't see how anyone can say MT "overplays live" there's so many holes in that Stones Rhythm section why not have a virtuostic player step in and entertain?
    Its absolute jealousy and BS to say he over plays. He takes what's there and always adds to it. It's what made his stones period the best sonically, they ever had.

I also notice he breathes life into the band in a major way by these very vids - thank you. Ever since he left, every time I hear the Stones play Honky Tonk woman or Brown Sugar, I hear his parts that were sizeable.

His part on Honky Tonk woman on the SG makes it a different tune to me.
    They can't do it without him and Keef alone just ruins the song for me.
    Keef leaves almost too many holes in his playing for me and that's when he's on key. Hey I love Keef, because he's Keef, but his playing hasn't really gotten better since the 70's to me.

10. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

+1
    Boy, Mick seems to be having a great time and that's what it's all about at this stage in the game.

11. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

Man it would have been something else if MT stayed with the Stones and The Faces continued on as a band with Ron Wood.

I wonder what that would have been like if The Faces stayed together just like the Stones!

12. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Faces and Stones would've been a great billing for an outdoor festival - yeah like that's ever gonna happen. The Stones are surprisingly fit and clean looking right now. I don't know how they do it, but they look like they actually reversed the ageing process. I swear they look worse ten years ago than now, it's uncanny.

Maybe they flew down to Mexico and had their blood changed again-lol!

13. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Saw Mick T with Mayall and with his own band. I think he is really under rated. His work with the stones was stellar he made those songs breath.
    Ronnie with the Faces was wonderful stuff! Wink as good as a nod! Ronnie tore it up live more than with Stones I think. Both are really good!
    B

14. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I first heard his playing on Mayall's Bare Wires. My two favorites are Hartley Quits and I Started Walking. My bands starting playing I Started Walking in 1968 or 69. Just a couple of months ago, my current band started playing Hartley Quits. What fun to play that. It is very simple and straightforward, but played with passion and conviction. I love his playing. One of the greats, in my book. As far as the Stones go, I just couldn't get into them after Jumping Jack Flash. He plays beautifully on Mayall's 70th birthday concert.

15. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

Just to throw in I met and strummed unplugged a Teye Mick Taylor that he had to sell cause well his money issues are well known.

16. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I hope no one gets the idea I don't like Taylor, I do , I really think the stones sounded best with him, I just don't think he is the reason the stones were so good with him in the band. He certainly added a lot of flair to their sound but its the songs that really were so good . I will still think the stones sound best doing rougher stuff , I'm not crazy about the pretty stuff. Just my opinion. But after so long without MT in the band, it seems strange going backwards and hanging on to what's gone. And MT was gone.

He definitely looks out of place moving around on stage. It's just not his thing and I think diminishes what he's really good at. His playing on some of the bootlegs was really pretty and at the time I really loved it but now, it just seems like overplaying. Sometimes less is more and I've come to really appreciate that. Right now he seems to be hogging the spotlight and on him it just doesn't fit. If he stays in the pocket and doesn't overplay just about nobody is as good except Santana.. IMHO

17. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Wow - talking about a self contradicting post - that was like saying read paragraph one in which I'll state all I believe, then negate it in paragraph two.

Mt may not have written a shred of a tune, but he makes the Stones then and now sound better. To say "he wasn't the reason those songs were so good," but that the Stones sounded better with him there" I'm trying to chew on.

Anyway, the Stones sounded better then and now with MT in the line up regardless of what he looks like on stage. He improves the band and many people might say the Stones are not the band they love without him.
    Ron Wood could leave tomorrow and nobody would likely cry too much as long as MT filled in. There's an aspect of his personality in all those well loved recordings during his stint as a Stone. His playing is incendiary and he brings out the best in the Stones, even making them rise above their ability, or to it's peak.

RW does not do that, he just allows them to be.

18. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I think you missed my point, which was during the time he was with them the stones were at their songwriting best, and yes MT added a lot of color to the sound but I think the songs stand on their own merit. I just watched a live Midnight Rambler and Can't you hear me knocking from this tour and I am honestly glad I'm not paying to see them. I don't think I was off base in my assessment of him overplaying and I don't think they are better for him being on stage with them. I will agree that most fans including me would not miss woody if he wasn't there. And I will agree with you that MT was the best co guitarist Keef has had in the Stones. I just wish MT didn't drag it out like he does, it's the Stones not the Dead or Allmans. midnight Rambler doesn't need to be 11minutes long, 7 or 8 minutes is more than enough, the same with Cant you hear me knocking. Great songs that should be incendiary on stage and they are starting to get boring. anyway to me the Stones are Keef, Charlie and Bill or Darryl that's the heart and soul of the band. I could live without Jagger ,

19. chauncy

chauncy Tele-Meister

20. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

I'd cry. Poor guy has been in the band for 38 years and some folks still treat him like he's a temporary replacement. :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.