Mick Taylor Broke -- Interesting Interview

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by wetland10, Sep 14, 2009.

1. IggyT

IggyT Tele-Afflicted

well Mick's poor state of finances may be the real reason behind some cancelled dates here in Ontario just a few months back. Articles in the local press gave no indications that things were as bad as the portrait in the UK mail .... we never know all the facts...
    iggy

2. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like more of the same old stuff that we hear regularly about the big name stars inherently being not very nice people when it comes to business.

And let's be honest, most of the people who do well in any form of business, are prepared to push others out the way to get what they want. The music business is no different.

We like to think that the people we regard as our heroes (or whatever you want to call them) are decent folk but that may not always be the case. I'm sure every big star can be a bast@#d when they want to be.

Just like everyone else!

3. eggman

eggman Friend of Leo's

Howdy,

Should the 'Stones tour again in the UK, the least they should do is let him perform as a special guest for a few shows-and pay him well.

Eggman

4. Caffeine Patrol

Caffeine Patrol Tele-Afflicted

He should be getting royalties from the Weather Channel; I've heard the solo from "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" played as background music for the "Local on the 8s" forecast before.

5. TJNY

TJNY Friend of Leo's

Based on what I see - him, his residence & the story - I think he's got mental issues. Looks like he's always had them. He doesn't look healthy at all. If he doesn't change now, I don't think he will be around much longer.......:neutral:

6. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

It's a sign of depression. The smallest tasks (like getting out of bed) become overwhelming. The guy is managing (he's not on the street), but only just.

7. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Tele-Afflicted

You got it man.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Larry F
    I rented his video on blues guitar, made some years ago, and was taken aback by the dirt under his fingernails. I thought, sheesh, it's a video of his hands, close up, and you couldn't wash them for that? I only mention this now because look at his hands in the picture in the interview and same thing. Is this a sign of, well laziness is too strong a word, but lack of drive in general?

Depression ('the big black dog' as Leonard Cohen calls it) and I are old friends.

Sounds like Mr. Taylor's had it for a long time...what with the drugs and the problems with committing and staying focused.

Most people just dismiss you as a bum, which only makes it worse.

I feel for the guy; he should get some help :(

8. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

9. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

I hope the second article, not the first, is more accurate. It very well may be, with the sad state of journalism today. His website looks pretty good, so someone's paying for it. But what's with all the guys wearing mufflers?

Two things got my attention. The first is (in spite of all the love we give him around here) Keith came across as nothing more than a spoiled jerk. Of course, 35 years on and without the drugs he may be more lovable than he was.

Second, MT's been doing some thinking! 'But people who really know me ask another question – whether I regret joining the Stones. To me, that’s far more astute.’ THAT'S a question few of us would ask ourselves beforehand, but makes a lot of sense. Every wish can be a curse, if we're not paying attention.

10. TJNY

TJNY Friend of Leo's

You can't believe a thing that most media put's out these days!! They put spins on everything just to get you reading!! Terrible....:cool:

11. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Afflicted

12. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

So it's not only Ry Cooder who got ripped off by them :D

13. jimmybusk

jimmybusk Tele-Holic

...Maybe not a good idea,Then the audience can compare Ron's second rate attempt at Mick Taylor's licks. 'Best to keep the fans in Satisfactionville. ..I've seen a lot of people turn to mush ,from that Methadone stuff. They must have made a ton of money from it,being that if you went "cold Turkey",it would cause death,so one could easily be "detoxed" for years.

14. oldmark

oldmark Tele-Holic

A thread back from the dead...I found this while looking for something else,

and the first article made little sense to me...I KNOW Taylor recorded with the Stones when they re-mastered Exile, and also with several Stones when they recorded Boogie For Stu...and I KNOW he has been playing and touring with other musicians as well as his own band for decades.

I guess people want to hear and read dirt about others, true or not...it sells newspapers and TV advertising, which is the name of their game.
    Link to Wiki article on Mick Taylor:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Taylor

This is a bit different, no?

mark

15. unclearty

unclearty Tele-Holic

It could have been worse - he could have worked for Don Henley.
    Genius.....:lol:

16. rolling56

rolling56 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When Mich Taylor was touring with Alvin Lee (10 years later) in '81 i saw him with Alvin then a couple nights later i saw him play a few songs with the Stones, both were in Kansas City,MO so it has been done before.

17. daddyopapa

daddyopapa Tele-Afflicted

It's easy to be dismissive of Taylor and the way he handled stardom (while you sit on your high white moral horse) when you've never been remotely close to that sort of success and pressure.
    He didn't just play a few licks and sub in for the Stones - his playing and influence help create the 4 best Stones albums. The maturity of those 4 albums stands head and shoulders above previous and subsequent albums. They were kids before, and spoiled jet-setters afterwards.

Both those articles are going on 2 years old. I hope his situation has improved although I know he cancelled in Toronto because his health was not so good.

18. cosmiccowboy

cosmiccowboy Tele-Afflicted

+1

...but I like it :D

19. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

Warning, passionate, heartfelt rant, sorry, please ignore.

It just makes me so angry when the people who make my life worth living, ie. musicians, painters, actors, anyone who tries to make sense of the human condition and express their feelings are not treasured and usually left to rot. Much as I appreciate everyone who does what they do to keep the world turning, personally, you could give me all the tea in China yet i'd rather die of hunger listening to music while looking at a beautiful picture.

Rant over.

20. Twanginator

Twanginator Tele-Holic

Never bought into the Stones hype. It appears that Mick Jones may be responsible for the few songs that I like by the band. Hard to believe they wouldn't help a guy who had so much to do with their success. I wish him well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.