Mick Taylor Broke -- Interesting Interview

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by wetland10, Sep 14, 2009.

1. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

2. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

3. Dry Rub

Dry Rub TDPRI Member

What did the article say, something about when Mick doesn't have the money to pay his bills, then he calls up friends to play pub gigs. Way to be out in front of a situation Mick.

There's no doubt Jagger and Richards are selfish dudes, but they have nothing to do with the fact that there are weeds growing up around Taylor's car right now. Get off the couch and mow the lawn Mick!

4. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I wonder if Ron Wood ...

...feels just a little bit like Shemp or Curly Joe?
    The only really outstanding albums are the ones with Mick Taylor.
    I'm old enough to remember them playing to half full houses.
    "I think "Let It Bleed" was really where it all turned around though many would say "Beggars Banquet".

Regardless there was only one "Curly" and everyone else is everyone else.

5. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

brokenjoe said:

right on, joe. Maybe I did sound kind of heavy on MT; I don't really have anything against him at all, and I enjoyed his work with the Stones. I just get tired of the controversy... I do not believe he was such an influential or important player. But that's no big deal, it's just my opinion.

And no, he never did steal a girlfriend from me... but I wish he had! he could have saved me some years of grief.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  6. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

:lol::lol::lol:

7. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

I've read this so many times on the internet, even I'm starting to believe it's the cool thing to say about the Stones.

It's largely a matter of opinion, and mine is that they've put out plenty of great albums since "Let It Bleed".

Mick Taylor was great with the Stones, made some great records...but they went on just fine without him. Can't say as much for him.

8. bluetele54

bluetele54 Friend of Leo's

...explain...

...I know DH can be tough,but what's your experience???...

...now,back to the original thread...

...always enjoyed listening to "Blues From Laurel Canyon" by Mayall...

9. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

i feel badly for taylor, and greatly enjoyed his work with the stones. im not sure what the answer is here...

he could check out the legality of what the stones MAY owe him. but, i doubt that he could really get anything, at this juncture. he probably should have done it years ago. maybe he knows, as someone pointed out, that he would just go "blow" it again and doesnt really want to go back there.

sad story, though and i wish him the best... he sure is a great guitarist.

rand z

10. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

11. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I'm inclined to believe it, given the rep of some sectors of the British press and the way the writer's descriptions of Mick's living conditions seemed very exaggerated after one viewed the photos published with the article. (That said, I could also see Jagger/Richards shorting Taylor in a biz deal.)

12. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

All my favorite Stones albums include Taylor. Just love that guy.

But let's not feel sorry for him - he did a good thing! He saw that the band was unhealthy for him, cutting him off from his friends and community, and stifling him creatively, so he hung up his guns. How many people could walk away from the Rolling Stones?

And now he's living a life pretty much like most of ours. Too many bills, a house to keep up, family commitments to juggle. And instead of whining about it, he's taking it all in stride.

Maybe he'll go after those royalties some day, and maybe he won't. That's his call.

Either way, I must say: Though I've loved his music for years, I've never known anything about him. Now that I do, he just seems like that rarist of celebrities - a truly good guy.

Thanks for the post, Wetlands - really interesting!

13. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I gotta say that even if it is an incorrect interview, if he is not getting any of the money from songs that he worked on, then he needs to contact a solicitor.
    If Mick is such a great friend why is he letting this guy live like this?
    Smacks of the real Mick Jagger.

14. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

That's what I'm inclined to believe. I think this article is more a case of the writer trying to make Taylor look pathetic so he'd have an interesting story to sell. I've seen/read other interviews with him, and he comes off as a down to earth guy who probably wasn't comfortable living the life of a rock star.

15. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

I hope things work out for MT. I was 16 and speechless after seeing the Philly show of the 72' tour. That young man's guitar was definitely wired to his heart and soul.

16. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Tele-Afflicted

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  17. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

He is still better off than 90% of the earths population .He has a roof over his head ,heat ,food ,water .Could be worse .
    We are the architects of our own misery ....but then who likes architects anyway.

18. Muddybuchfan

Muddybuchfan Tele-Meister

How can you say that. You and I know nothing about their private dealings and generosity and to assert a negative conclusion makes no sense.

19. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

I'm not gonna defend the Stones -Lord knows they don't need any help- but anyone who knows a bit, knows that they have almost always had an amicable relationship with Mick.

Taylor has guested on stage with them over the years a bunch of times; has played on Keith's first solo album, and has been involved with them publicly on many occasions over the years.

You're right about that Muddy. People can be VERY quick to jump to conclusions.

20. Telarkaster

Telarkaster Friend of Leo's

Too funny! Too true!

I love Mick Taylor's guitar playing with the Stones. And I really liked his playing on "California" for the John Mayall party concert.

As for the guy's personal habits and life choices, I'll simply say "no comment", since I find no joy in cutting down one of my heroes, no matter how deserving he may be. He's one of my all time favourite guitarists, at one point I wanted nothing more out of life than to play like him.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.