Mick Taylor Broke -- Interesting Interview

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by wetland10, Sep 14, 2009.

1. chet

chet Banned

I'd get a lawyer but hope he's left behind the drugs.

2. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

The article seems like they're trying to make his situation look worse than it is... his house looks nicer than mine, anyhow.

3. robb3566

robb3566 Tele-Afflicted

He says that when he was having problems Mick suggested he take a 6 month break and tried to get him to stay, and he collected royalties for 8 years after he quit, so it's not like they fired him and left him destitute. Leaving was his choice. He blew his money on drugs. He hasn't collected royalties for 27 years, but all of a sudden he's having financial problems and he feels like he's owed something. Lots of people are having financial problems, through no fault of their own, and they've never had the opportunities he's had.

I've noticed that some recovering addicts still tend to blame most of their problems on other people, even after they are sober. I'm glad he's gotten himself off drugs, but I have a hard time being overly sympathetic with his financial plight.

4. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I'm gonna start some trouble now boy...LOL

Honestly I'd rather pay the money to see The Blushing Brides.
    With Mick Taylor....hmmmm....

Let me axe ya this EVERYONE.
    If You could see "The Rolling Stones" for say 100 bucks (cheapest seats)
    OR.....
    The Blushing Brides for 20 bucks with Mick Taylor.
    On the same evening....
    Which Show would You go to?

Yeah me too.:cool:

5. Ormond

Ormond Tele-Afflicted

It could have been worse - he could have worked for Don Henley.

6. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I love his playing his playing. I could sing from memory his solos in I Started Walking (or was that Peter Green) and Hartley Quits from his days with Mayall. I think he should definitely be paid for the music he helped create.

But here's a weird thing. I rented his video on blues guitar, made some years ago, and was taken aback by the dirt under his fingernails. I thought, sheesh, it's a video of his hands, close up, and you couldn't wash them for that? I only mention this now because look at his hands in the picture in the interview and same thing. Is this a sign of, well
    laziness is too strong a word, but lack of drive in general?

7. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

From that picture...

...certainly seems he's not missing any meals.

8. Colo Springs E

"The uncut grass, empty cans in the kitchen sink and the ancient car parked in the driveway with weeds growing through its wheels also tell a tale."

I know people who are dirt poor--as I myself have been at certain points in my life--I have zero sympathy for someone who doesn't keep their place clean.

As someone else posted, it's not like he lives in a shack. Maybe it's so run-down not due to lack of funds, but lack of pride/upkeep on his part.

Broke? You're smoking how many packs of fags a day?

Sorry, no sympathy here...

9. DougieLove

DougieLove Tele-Afflicted

That's easy: The Rolling Stones.

10. Colo Springs E

Stones, no contest.

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

#1) Or if you could see Peter Green w/ the Bluesbreakers OR Mick Taylor w/ the Bluesbreakers which one would it be ?

I'd go w/ Clapton !

And that's the only instance where I'd ever pick EC.

But really, late 60's British blues ?

There's Peter Green and then there's everybody else...

#2) The Stones w/ Mick Taylor circa '72 (I've got two stunning bootlegs) OR The Faces in the same year ?

Sorry - I've got to go w/ the "fun" factor : Faces all the way.

Stronger band overall as well...

12. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

I'm with Mike for 1972, in those days the Faces put on a better show than the Stones. I saw them both about 3 months apart, the Stones improved (IMO) after Woody joined, he may not be as much of a virtuoso as Taylor, but he sure can play rock 'n' roll. I personally enjoyed the 1975 Stones tour show more than any of the ones with Taylor, of course I REALLY liked them with Brian, They introduced me to genuine blues, I remember Jonesy crediting Howling Wolf for "Little Red Rooster" on stage.

13. Wardpike

Wardpike Friend of Leo's

Funniest thing about not missing any meals. Depression leads to a sedentary lifestyle that causes one to put on weight and is then compounded by lack of motivation to do anything such as cook healthy meals. So instant "food" becomes the rule of the day. Further compounding this is lack of funds causes one to buy more junk food and instant meals, which is somewhat cheaper than buying healthy. Putting a good salad together costs about $5 or so, for a small salad bowl which would normally have 4 servings. More if you add cheese, meats, nuts etc to it. A unit of KD mac'n'cheese or "sidekicks" cists about 79¢ for about 4 servings. A small 4 or 5 oz very lean steak costs about $7... something cheaper like burger makings costs about $2 a unit. Guess which one will help you put on weight? Then factor in the body's survival instinct vis-à-vis single mealers (people who daily eat one very large meal, but only one meal) where the body (not used to routine feeding and disposing) will attempt to store as much of the big meal as possible in an attempt to prepare for what it perceives as routine famine.

As for Mick...

Wasn't there an exposé on his guitar collection on-line recently?? Seems to me his guitar collection might be worth 300k to 500k and would be enough money to get him good enough lawyers to get his millions back... and thus be able to buy back his guitar collection and be set fo the rest of his life (could be 10, could be 30 more years).

With any decent lawyer, his case is a cinch to win, and he would be awarded costs also... so he would get his investment back.

The question that remains: can he get motivated enough to get someone to go to work for him? He seems like he's in a dark place and needs some help out of the hole before he can even get that much on the go.

Time for a pal to step in here, methinks. Maybe Bowie? John Mayall? Maybe Mick's conscience will get the better of him?

Who knows.

14. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Yep saw the Faces in 1973 and the Stones in 1975.. Faces won!!!

15. craigh9

craigh9 Tele-Meister

Time for a pal to step in here, methinks. Maybe Bowie? John Mayall? Maybe Mick's conscience will get the better of him?

Who knows.[/QUOTE]

Mick Jagger has a conscience?

Craig

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm fairly well convinced, had the money never stopped flowing, that Taylor would be gone by now. I think money would just bring the addiction roaring back.

Sorry. I think the guy knew the lifestyle, all the "stuff" would get him. I wish it were otherwise but what he has right now is all the "happiness" this guy is willing to strive for.

17. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I remember reading Noel Redding's account of how he tried to get money owed to him. He was suing people for years and not getting anywhere. His whole life was tied up in that quest.

18. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

The guy is a gross-out.
    I'm 58 years old and have to work everyday at keeping it together.
    I've done a thousand gigs since the early 70's and I feel fortunate to still be working semi-pro.
    There are 200 billion sad stories in this world and untold millions of talented, creative people.
    His story is ironic, but...so what?
    It's only Rock & Roll.

19. barncat

barncat Tele-Holic

Still, Isn't it a little petty to deny him royalties on the albums where he was a member? Surely Mick, Keith, and Ronnie could spare whatever it was he was earning. They probably wouldn't even miss it.

20. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

To count on decency from those guys really makes me laugh.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.