Mick Taylor Broke -- Interesting Interview

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by wetland10, Sep 14, 2009.

1. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

That is so sad.........what a great player.

2. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Friend of Leo's

Very interesting. Thanks for posting. There are too many of these kinds of casualties.

3. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Sucks to feel hard done by - but really does no good. If he is owed royalties I hope he gets them, and I hope this time he can trust himself with the money or at the least have someone trustworthy take care of it for him.

In fairness, though, he appears to be less broke than I am with my uninterrupted employment.

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Pays to write.

I'm sure they'll give him money now.

Rod Stewart however, doesn't have to be told by a court or shamed in the press.

He just does it.

He paid for all Ronnie Lane's bills and gave him money whenever he asked.

5. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

Seems like the Stones, much as I love them, aren't really very nice people to do business with. Jonesy was treated badly when he left too. it seems that only "ex-Stone" that got a fair shake from Mick and Keef was Ian Stewart.

6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Ronnie Wood didn't get songwriting credit for a lot of stuff he did early on. 'Hey Negrita' was totally his but he is not mentioned as a a writer.
    No, they're not nice people to do business with apparently.

7. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Contrast the Stones' treatment of Jones with how the Who handled Rabbit Bundrick....

8. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

We don't really know the story or the specifics of it all. Mick Taylor quit the band, that we know. Maybe he is owed money, maybe he is not. On one hand it is sad to see the way he is living, on the other hand, why hasn't he done something to change that? Maybe he has, I have no idea. It's a very odd situation but I find it to be quite intruiging.

Wayne

9. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

I cringe whenever I think of Taylor.

I could be wrong here, but it seems to me that he's the type of person who just can't get it together.

One of the most brilliant guitarists of our time.

I've known musicians like him. Guys that are just awesome talents, but can't stay focused or with one project for very long. You ask them what they're up to these days, and when you hear something like 'Um......I'm just writing songs, and working on a project' You know that nothing is ever gonna come of it. They're ALWAYS writing songs, and working on some new project.

Taylor seems like the guy who needs someone to give him a boot in the bum and say to him 'this is what you're gonna do. Now do it!'

10. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

If I was Mick Taylor I'd write a "tell all".
    I mean so what if those bastards sue You - You're broke anyways.

And Mick tell everything.
    Shout it from the rooftops.

Ain't nobody disrespecting Jose Canseco anymore, they see him coming they RUN!!! "Oh No It's Jose - RUN!!!"

you were wronged my man - make it right :cool:

11. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

There have been so many "tell alls" what is left to say? What makes Mick Taylor 100% right either? I don't know the right answer.

Wayne

12. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah - well I'd buy it BECAUSE it's Mick Taylor's "tell all".
    Besides when I think about it those are really the best Rolling Stones albums.

Regardless - look who Jagger and Richard are staring at in that photo from the 60's. Maybe there doesn't have to be a "tell all" after all...:D

13. Mike Eskimo

On the other hand - he was given an opportunity that literally millions of people would give their eye teeth for.

And he quit.

"Oh - I would have died if I stayed !"

Keith didn't.

He quit the junk.

Mick T could've quit too and been living in a manor house right now.

(Note to self: quit the bad habits, not the massive income-producing band)

It's not like he quit and went on to anything great.

He's not a frontman. He's a great guitar player.

There's a lot of those...

14. Mike Eskimo

90% of the reason for that is that Mick and Keith wrote such great songs/had such good ideas.

Mick Taylor says so himself in that article.

15. Poppatwang

Poppatwang Friend of Leo's

Yeah, he could have stayed and ended up like Brian Jones.
    Keith's lucky to be alive.

16. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

so you guys have actually done business with the Stones? or are you just commenting on other stories you have read...?

oh yes, absolutely brilliant! he played some blues licks for John Mayall (who didn't back then?) and when the Stones needed a sub, they tried him. He added a few memorable lines on some great records, got too involved in the dope scene, and quit. Hard to see the brilliance in that...

Now he is down and out. Wait a second - didn't he play with Bill Wyman for a while? and what about John Mayall? Those guys are still playing - but apparently they don't ask "one of the most brilliant guitarists of our time" to play with them... why is that do you suppose?

That guy has been playing his whole life out as the poor loser who couldn't take the life-style. OK - fine - he couldn't take it and he quit. Apparently he didn't read/understand his contract, and for 35 years he has felt slighted but done nothing about it except whine.

Now he finally says "I’m going to do something about it because it’s morally wrong to cut my royalties for those six albums."

Sounds to me like he's not the sharpest blade in the tool-box.

17. Stylemaster

Stylemaster Tele-Afflicted

Yeah but part of the recipe for those albums was the influence of Mick Taylor's bluesy Gibson style. And those albums were magic - especially the all time greatest, Let It Bleed. I always thought the best RS albums were the ones MT was on.

18. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's

Yep. Who knows the details? He himself has said many times over the years that he never felt like he was in the band and that it was a temporary thing and he'd move on when he'd had enough.

There's always two sides to a story. Before we all slag the Stones for being ruthless, it might be helpful to know their side as well.

I agree 100%.

What a talent....his blues chops are amongst the best ever. His way of leaving the Stones caught them off guard...simply said, "I'm leaving the band" to Jagger at a party and then left.

Richards has been quoted several times as saying that he's bewildered that Taylor never amounted to much after. Especially since he wanted to move on to bigger and better things beyond the Stones.

To me, Taylor comes off very bad in this interview. Not sympathetic at all. The guy has had options 99% of guitarists never get. I read a guy that's down on his luck and is expecting perhaps something that, contractually, isn't his.

The thing is, there's about a dozen bands he could probably hook up with even now and get it back together.

Very sad.

19. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

Look, I'm not defending him, and yes, I stand by my statement of him being one of the most brilliant guitarists of our time. Sorry you don't understand or hear it in his playing -your loss.

Um.... he was 17 when he started playing with Mayall -following in Clapton's and Green's footsteps. Not a bad start, I'd say. I'd hardly write it off as 'played a couple of blues licks for John Mayall' as you say.

Dylan had a fondness for his playing as well. He chose Taylor for several albums.

Subbed with the Stones? Now you're just being silly....

Taylor has made a bunch of bad decisions in his career, and seems to contradict himself quite a bit. He claimed that he wanted to get into more complex music -yet when I saw him back in the early '80s, he was playing bar band rock n roll. He was, however, VERY good.

You're coming off as though you have some kind of personal grudge against Taylor. What did he do; steal your girlfriend from you?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.