1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mick Ronson's Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Rich_S, Dec 11, 2009.

1. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Great song...I prefer Great White's cover of it.

2. AWTele

AWTele TDPRI Member

This is an old thread, but I'm on a Mick Ronson kick right now and considering putting together a Tele inspired by his blue Tele.
    Found some images of Ronson with his Tele that show that, at different times, it only had ONE knob. The control plate has a hole where a second knob would go. Here's an image from the Youtube video entitled "Mick Ronson Sound":
    Ronson1.jpg

At a sound check:
    ronson5.jpg

Another time, this might be same Tele with different lighting, showing two knobs on control plate:
    ronson2.jpg
    Several photos show that over time he appeared to favour the Bridge position on the switch as well. Here, from Mercury Tribute concert (one knob only):
    ronson6.jpg

Hopefully this adds to the dialogue for anyone wanting to do a Tribute Tele. Find as many images as you can where the shade of blue is considered, because the lighting in photos can make it appear very light or very dark.

Cheers.

One more, of Mick at his final public performance:
    Ronson Tribute.jpg

JeffBlue, Oxidao and RodeoTex like this.
  3. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

I had a chance to meet Ronno & Ian during their Hunter/Ronson tour. I knew the promoter of the show.

I didn't go due to bad weather conditions and have regretted it ever since. I still have my Mott the Hoople fan club button!

4. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

wow that's impressive, one of those gigs i wish i had seen!

5. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

What a weird zombie thread to revive. Let's at least put the video back up with Mick playing this Tele:

6. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Yeah I also thought his work was unique and added so much to a song, maybe ten years ago I saw a Bowie tribute band who specialized on that Spiders From Mars period and they guitar player doing the Ronson parts had the notes right but the tone and feeling he couldn't do authentically. IE it was way harder than it might appear. Gary

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.