Mick Green - 10 years gone.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by aging_rocker, Jan 8, 2020.

1. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

'Legend' - it's an often misused term, but on the 11 January 2010 we lost the legend that is Mick Green, at the relatively young age of 65.

During his career Mick played with, amongst others, The Pirates (with and without Johnny Kidd), Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas, Cliff Bennett and the Rebel Rousers, Bryan Ferry, Van Morrison, Paul McCartney, Lemmy, and even in Las Vegas with Englebert Humperdinck ...he was also a guitar teacher and songwriter, and apparently a top bloke, a man of great humour, sharp wit and generosity of spirit and a proper gent by all accounts.

I think Mick spoke for many of us when he said "When I look in the mirror, I see an old bloke. But as soon as I strap on a guitar, I feel 18 again."

His influence on generations of guitarists is immense, especially via Pete Townshend & Wilko Johnson, who both cite him as a major influence.

I saw the Pirates live a few times in the late 70's during their 'comeback' period, they seemed to be everywhere at that time - punk gigs, pub gigs, rock gigs, festivals... I can vouch for the fact that Mick always ran his Marshall stack flat-out with that Tele Custom, even in pub venues. I have the tinnitus to prove it. Also, I recall that he virtually never touched the amp or guitar controls at all...my jaw dropped when I saw Mick play close-up for the first time.

C'mon Fender, where's that Mick Green signature Custom...??

There's plenty of posts about Mick on here, and tons of stuff on t'interweb. Go on, treat yourselves!

Here's a few reminders of how to properly play guitar in a three-piece rock 'n' roll band...
    The Pirates play Chuck's Johnny B. Goode as their encore on the German TV show - a classic Mick Green performance:

The Pirates classic live at the Reading festival in 1978, includes a short interview with Mick. The Friday night crowd were there for the The Jam (who had to follow them on stage that night), Sham 69, and other punk acts of the day. The Pirates totally won them over, as usual - I was in the crowd for this:

One of the songs co-written by Mick for Status Quo, as performed by the Pirates at Dingwalls in 1977:

On stage in 1999 with a few other legends, without the stripy pants and the boots, but still with the Tele Custom:

RIP Mick.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  2. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mick was a great player, as much as I loved the Pirates, I really like his playing with Van Morrison! R.I.P Mr Green.

RJ

3. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Mick had a lot of attitude in his playing. That's what I liked about him the most.

4. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Poster Extraordinaire

5. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

Didn't Elvis Costello ask McCartney if it was "The" Mick Green?

rjtwangs likes this.
  6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yup. 'THE' Mick Green! E.C has taste.

Mick once told a tale or two involving Elvis ( Presley ), but one stands out. Mick was playing with Englebert Humperdink ( don't judge, it paid the bills ) and Elvis' manager approached theirs with a view to 'borrowing' Mick. Elvis had met Mick previously, and shown him his purple robes ( or some such wibble ) and was impressed by Micks playing. The manager, of course, failed to tell Mick of this. In terms of what could have been, Elvis, slimmed, leather clad, hungry, backed by Mick.

Lemmy loved Mick. At the Boss Goodman testimonial, Mick and Lemmy join forces with Wurzel and Rat. Wurzel is so nervous, Lemmy comments on it. This is the man who played stadia. This is the man who played alongside Phil Campbell and Lemmy, yet here he is, bricking it because it's Mick. I have the bootleg :) Of course I do!, it has Lemmy and Mick!

This :

Got Mick the job with Bryan Ferry. Van loved Johnny Kidd & The Pirates, especially Mick's playing. Bryan likewise.

Notice how Leo toots away, setting up Mick. There's a slight pause, Mick starts, there's a round of applause for Mick. It's a special moment, and some lovely playing.

Paul McCartney had a little band once, in the sixties, that opened for Johnny Kidd & The Pirates at The Cavern, on the Mersey Showboat, and in the Hamburg Star Club. You don't follow The Pirates. Yes folks, The Beatles opened for The Pirates.

Paul nicked Mick for the Choba CCCP album, for his track on 'Last Temptation Of Elvis' and of course 'run, Devil run'

Mick played on a few other tracks on the Elvis tribute. Robert Plant insisted Mick play with him as a condition of his involvement.
    The version of 'Blue Suede Shoes' with Lemmy though just shows how ferocious he could be. He makes the guitarists of Motorhead seem like pussycats.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  7. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I don't know why I remember this BUT, didn't Mick's son's have a band, playing in Mick's style....am I just imagining this???

RJ

Jim W likes this.
  8. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

I love this one to bits

aging_rocker likes this.
  9. VintageSG

aging_rocker and rjtwangs like this.
  10. VintageSG

Mick sans Telecaster, but with an interesting guitar nonetheless. The rolling-chop rhythm is unmistakeable.

Nice little solo from Mick midway. Mick played with Cliff Bennett in the sixties, so it's a sort of return. Shortly after Shanghai released their second album, Mick reformed the Pirates.

aging_rocker likes this.
  11. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Amazing guitarist, very sadly missed. The Pirates where an amazing band live.

aging_rocker likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.