micing the electric - mixing with the amp mic

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by slowpinky, Jan 8, 2013.

1. slowpinky

slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

Interesting discussions about the use of ambient mics on the amp - particularly the cheaper ribbons that are coming out. I've got a dual ribbon apex that I have messed around with a bit - it needs modding or something though - I keep coming back to a condenser - usually omni.

Seriously - no one who has played for any amount of time really knocks the integrity of a mic like the 57 - but I dont much like the sound of just one 57 on an amp playing live - and this is personal taste - as a jazz player they dont give me the detail I want - Im a big fan of either a Senn E906 which is gentle in the top mids - or my personal fave is an M88 - because I find those sounds easier to mix with the ambient mic.

I recently finished a project (in a friends very cool little studio - mine is tooooo small for the whole band to play live) reversing the proportions (and roles) of the 2 mics to bring out the acoustic ambience in my new archtop :D- with the M88 on the amp - maybe <30% amp on this track- and the rest a condenser in the room with me playing - yes its very much an attempt to capture the kind of thing Jim Hall went for...

its an album of Mancini tunes btw. This is a rough mix of one tune...

https://soundcloud.com/gator3/08-whistling-away

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Back in the 70's, they used to Mic Strats and mix with an amp mic'd in an isolated booth.

The sky is the limit with mic's. I own a modest home studio and there is nothing I like more than futzing with different kinds of Mic arrangements.

In MY Studio there is only one concern: The Guitar has to sound like the Song it is playing.
    Until you get that right, nothing else matters.
    Once you do get it right, nothing else matters.

~Cheers!

3. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Very nice guitar sound! And even my picky wife (who's a singer) liked the vocal. I found myself wishing I could hear more bass and a little more of the drums ... sounds like they're in another room. But whatever you're doing with the guitar miking seems to work, you're finding your way into lush territory. Good work!

4. slowpinky

slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

Thanks woodman!
    Yeah its just a rough mix - and there were baffles between us all - I was actually in the control room wearing phones.

Hopefully does that too!

5. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Meister

Lovely! Great gtr sound and loved the vocals. Don't hear too much of this around the traps so will keep an ear/eye out for you.

6. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sounds good to me. Sounds like an archtop - a nice one!

7. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Wow, that sounds beautiful. That guitar sounds like it is in the room ... with me! And I agree, the vocal sounds great. To my ear, a little more bass, yes. I like the levels on the drums, though. Could be the cheap phones I am listen through. (Your "rough mixes" are pretty awesome, BTW.)

8. slowpinky

slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

Thanks guys.. As we did the mix for real, the particular sound of the guitar did seem a bit huge.. Possibly at the expense of the bass. Keeping the lushness and ambience of the guitar ( we were using Lexicon native) without intruding on the bass sound has been a challenge..but I think we got it!

9. klasaine

Is that you on guitar on all that other 'gator-3' stuff?

10. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Weird idea: Since the guitar and vocals are the star of the show, wonder how it would work to center the vocal, spread the guitar over the entire stereo field, and place the bass and drums further right and left? I'm sure this isn't in any of the mix manuals, but I've occasionally seen jazz combos set up in similar configurations. The separation would give the understated bass and drums some breathing room. Just a thought!

11. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

What is the role that mic'ing plays in your recordings?

12. slowpinky

slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

Which is kind of what we did in the end!

It ended up being the reflection of our usual stage setup - drums panned left, bass and vocal centred and me right - it took a little breadth out of the guitar tone - but its more natural now - and also gave the bass and drums more air and focus at the same time. I'll post a link to the finished product when it goes up online.

Yep - theres a of variety of 'genres' there - some of its pretty experimental...and not all of it works.:D But its a fair snapshot of some of the various projects I've been into the last 7-8 years...at some level it documents the tones of the different guitars Ive been using too - The PRS hollowbody on the experimental stuff - Tele on the jazz trio stuff and the new archtop with the singer -its also mainly stuff that didnt get onto a commercially released CD.

13. klasaine

Great solo on 'Vain', really great!

14. slowpinky

slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Ken - it was a favourite tune for that trio.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.