1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Michael Hedges

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Matt Sarad, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Still miss him dearly :cry:

3. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Billy3 and nojazzhere like this.
  4. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

Other worldly player. I always wanted to learn to play some of his stuff, especially "Aerial Boundaries" but lacked the key ingredient of talent to pull it off.

5. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

Such an influential player. Love Live on the Double Planet.

Billy3, nojazzhere and SRHmusic like this.
  6. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

His version of All along the Watchtower still stays in mind after 40 years

7. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Was lucky enough to see him live around 1990. Love all his stuff.

That Cal Webway and Billy3 like this.
  8. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Thanks for the concert link. I wish I had seen him live. There's a Stropes edition or two of detailed transcriptions of many of his songs. I have one of the first ones. They used a special, additional notation to indicate how long individual notes are held, among other things.
    https://www.stropes.com/

Billy3, Martian and nojazzhere like this.
  9. Martian

Martian Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Billy3 likes this.
  10. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Stunning and Amazing!

He really couldn't be fully appreciated unless you actually saw him live (or on video).

His command of the acoustic guitar and sound was otherworldly.

His style was his own.

Here he looks somewhat fragile... and apparently, he was.

So, this video takes me back to another time and place.

Wyndham Hill and Alex de Grasse, George Winston et al.

I miss... it all.

Billy3 and Dan R like this.
  11. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Michael Hedges approach to the guitar was unique and astounding. I was absolutely blown away by his sound. I have "Aerial Boundaries" and "Breakfast in the Field" on LP bought new at the time. "Taproot" is another favorite of mine. He lost me on the singing, but that's OK. He was a brilliant artist gone way too soon.

Billy3 likes this.
  12. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Great sound on that video -- thanks for posting. I was lucky enough to see him live a couple of times in the late 80's early 90's and was absolutely mesmerized by his performances. I must confess that I never really liked his studio albums, as none of them really captured the energy, sound and underlying soul he brought to his live performances.

13. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

Great thread! I love him! So creative and innovative! True wizard! My first time seeing him was at a show when I went to see Leo kottke open for him in the early 90s. Might be one of the best live solo performances I have seen by two of the best acoustic virtuosos of all time Inspiration Inspiration! Wow! Never heard someone do that with a guitar! Incredibly important for every guitar player to listen to him. Keep on pickin!!! Wish MH was here!

hepular likes this.
  14. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

Awesome! Love Michael Hedges. My faves are "Breakfast in the Field" and "Oracle". "Aerial Boundaries" has some incredible tunes on it however side 2 loses my attention with the foray into jazz combo stuff. I was living in Palo Alto in the early 1980s when MH was just getting started playing at the New Varsity theater on University Avenue. Probably saw him 3 or 4 times there and once at the Stanford Theatre down the street.

A few years ago, for about a year I listened to nothing but MH in the car while commuting across San Jose.

Back in ~1981 I ran into him one day at a Palo Alto record store and had the nerve to chat with him for a few moments. I had been listening to John Renbourn and Pierre Bensusan who I felt (and still do) were leaps and bounds above William Ackerman, the other local fingerstyle guy who started Windham Hill. However it didn't occur to me to mention this! Later I discovered he liked both of them.

Years later I was in a grocery store in Mendocino and saw him across the room. Caught his eye and smiled; he just smiled back. Was very sad when he had his accident.

You may have seen this (or not)... but should.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  15. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Digital Larry likes this.
  16. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

Circa 1987-1989, I was sitting at home when my parents came home from a Simon & Garfunkel concert (I'm pretty sure that's what it was) but all my dad could do was go on and on about this guy who opened and played his acoustic guitar all crazy like. The next day he and I went to the record store and he bought all the Michael Hedges albums on both vinyl and cassette that they had-which I think was all of them. I've loved him so much since that day. At some point in HS or college, I bought the transcription music book that Michael put out. I've pulled it out over the years to try but usually put it away in defeat.

I have watched this video of this cat countless times over the years, a very good cover of aerial boundaries

17. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Saw him in concert in Oberlin early 90s. Still had hair then. Great concert. Lovely man as well. Big fan then. Still listen to him occasionally but it's too sad.

18. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Groundbreaker!

19. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

One of my favorites!

20. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

A friend first took me to see him for a birthday present at the Ark in Ann Arbor. I had absolutely no idea who Hedges was so imagine how stunned I was when he walked out playing his guitar. I love acoustic guitar as it’s what I really learned on, so hearing Hedges was quite a mind bender. I then saw him two more times, again at the Ark and at the AA Folk Festival. I was shocked & saddened when he died.

I have several of his albums and do play two of his own songs, albeit in standard tuning and with my own simpler arrangements. My favorite album is “Live at the Double Planet”.

Engine Swap and Digital Larry like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.