Mic For iPhone/iPad?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Hoodster, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Looking for something plug and play into iOS that will pick up my voice from 4 or 5 feet away more loudly than the internal microphone and will also pick up the guitar amplifier from six or 8 feet off to the side.

It seems like pretty much everything marketed for mobile devices is either a lapel microphone or a uni-directional condenser mic.

Price range under $100 used or new.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  2. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

3. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Apogee MiC 96k Professional Quality Microphone for iPad, iPhone, and Mac

Lawdawg likes this.
  5. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I was looking at interfaces that allow your own mics to be used with iphone/ ipad but found that the built in mic is really pretty good.

A factor that could be an issue is the power plug being taken so your device battery runs down plus the uploading is suspended to save battery power.

If I was going to buy products to use a better mic with my i device, I would not choose an all in one mic that hangs off the charge port.
    Macbooks moved to the new plug that functions as a do all and you add a dongle to plug into power and add outboard tools.
    I have not recently looked at recording hardware for ipads but I know it's out there.

If you have a mic cabinet you already have better mics than some little hobby grade mic that hangs off the charge port. Never mind that apple put a nice quality mic built right in, at least in comparison to hobby mics vs pro mics we all own if we've been recording music for a minute.
    Just my two cents!

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Sweetwater has 25 interfaces for iphone/ ipad priced from $50- $900!
    Looked at the $149 Focusrite that's more desk top than hand held, and while it does plug in to power I'm not sure it has a battery or supplies power to the ipad.
    For a lengthy field recording with an outboard condenser mic, seems like power supply must be addressed in some of these products.
    One of the $49 options paired with a reputable $50- $100 universal condenser or dynamic mic plus a mic pre and some mixing or level, seems like you're ahead compared to a one piece mic product.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c1058--iPad_iPhone_Interfaces

8. Pullshocks

Pullshocks Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.