Miata Thoughts… Owners Weigh In?

runstendt

Tele-Meister
Any Miata in at least halfway decent shape and in your price range will do what you are looking for. I’m on my fourth. I have my summer car, which is a 1990 that has about 140,000 miles on it and runs like a dream, plus a 1999 that I use daily, all year. The most expensive maintenance I’ve had to do was change the coil packs, and the timing belt should be changed every 60,000 miles. They’re great cars and are generally pretty forgiving to drive and maintain. I live in PA, so I use my daily driver Miata until it gets too rusty to limp through another inspection.

Believe it or not, a Miata can also carry quite a bit of you’re good at geometry and Tetris. I’m playing a gig later today, and here is what will comfortably fit in my car:
  • Electric guitar in hard shell case (probably my SG)
  • Yamaha MX-61 keyboard in hard shell case
  • Novation Mininova synth
  • Pedal board
  • Backpack containing cables, microphone, Behringer 205D
  • Stands for keyboards, guitar, mic
  • Me
TLDR: Miata’s are a blast.

Brendan

Tele-Holic
I had an '03 LS. That gets you the limited slip differential, more chassis stiffening, close-ratio six speed, leather interior, cloth top. Mild suspension upgrades and sticky tires and you're in for a lot of fun.

teleplayer99

Tele-Holic
Got one when they first came out. $1500 down and $199 month. They offered to let me keep the car and just pay $199 a month. But I said no because the 2nd gen had come out with 140 HP and a glass rear window with defroster.. So I ordered one exactly like I wanted it. Guy ran an red light in SS Bham on a 1 way street and I spun around 4 lanes until hitting a curb. Bent the frame. Waited a while, but got 3rd gen with power hardtop. Drove it a long time but had to crash that car when I floored it pulling out from a Walgreens. And totaled it in a ditch. Not a scratch on me. They are bullet proof. My wife has the 4 door sports car...Mazda 6 Soul Red of course. Now in Subaru with eyesight and put around listening to Harmon Kardon stereo and rubber neck every time I see a Miata. I still love those Miata's. The reliable "British" sports car. Can't go wrong...they are all super cars.

Ess Eff

Tele-Afflicted
Silly little child's car.

Put an adult in it and it looks like a dodg'em car.

Way too embarrassing to own one.

Greg70

Tele-Holic
I've never owned one but I used to have a Mazdaspeed 6 and was very interested in a Miata. I'm about 5'11 and around 330 pounds. I sat in a Miata a few times and just couldn't fit comfortably enough to safely drive it. I would definitely sit in one to be sure that it's even comfortable to you before you go on your quest.

EDIT: Never mind. I reread the original post and you used to have one.

61fury

Friend of Leo's
I bought a 97 with 193 K on it. After discovering it featured a total loss oiling and coolant system I had the engine rebuilt. (warped head, piston rings etc) A local machine shop did it.

Drives great now I'm thinking about new shocks and bushings as it is a bit rattley. Going to keep it stock ride height I'm no boy racer.
Miata  hood M.jpg
Aside from dings and scrapes the paint is good and it's a southern car so it's rust free.

I like the ND's, meh on the NB's , warming up to the NC's, this NA is within my budget however.

I think it's still my favorite body style of all them though.

Last edited:

Tele-beeb

Friend of Leo's
I bought a 97 with 193 K on it. After discovering it featured a total loss oiling and coolant system I had the engine rebuilt. (warped head, piston rings etc) A local machine shop did it.

Drives great now I'm thinking about new shocks and bushings as it is a bit rattley. Going to keep it stock ride height I'm no boy racer.
View attachment 881612
Aside from dings and scrapes the paint is good and it's a southern car so it's rust free.

I like the ND's, meh on the NB's , warming up to the NC's, this NA is within my budget however.

I think it's still my favorite body style of all them though.
Looks a lot like my first Miata… ‘97 NA in white.

Bones

Telefied
Ad Free Member
This guy has some interesting takes on them...

I find this guy's "mannerisms" so disturbing, that I am baffled by how anyone can watch 30 seconds of him, much less, understand how he has over 4 million subscribers. He reminds of a far less talented Quentin Tarantino.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Barbie drives one, she would know. You can visit her at Bubbly Blonde Life Care , Encino CA.:lol:

meric

Tele-Holic
I love my little MX-5. The most 'smiles' per gallon of any car ever made. Inexpensive, peppy, great handling and it's a two seat roadster. Go ahead and make fun of it or me. I dont care if you think that I am a hair-dresser. I am having too much fun to let any of that crap bother me.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I find this guy's "mannerisms" so disturbing, that I am baffled by how anyone can watch 30 seconds of him, much less, understand how he has over 4 million subscribers. He reminds of a far less talented Quentin Tarantino.

He is quite a hand talker.

I've found his shows interesting, particularly those on more obscure vehicles.

alathIN

Tele-Afflicted
I've been thinking lately of a pre retirement fun build with a MEV frame and body on a early Miata donor car then later drop a 289 Ford engine in it.

Aston Martin DBR1
View attachment 881556
Normally I'm not into kit cars but this one seems different.

I have been interested in a kit car for ages.
This one is maybe the most appealing one I've seen. Most are either 1) more expesnsive / complicated than I want to deal with (see Porsche 956 replicars) or 2) not interesting enough to be worth the hassle.

I will look in to this