Miata Day 2022

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
but we alll know deep down every guy who drives a miata wishes he owned the porsche that just drove by.... my $.02

charlie 0 said:
Women recognize the inadequacies of guys who think that they are impressed by Corvettes and Porsches. And they like guys who drive cars that they like. Ask me how I know this.

I own a 911 and I'm not interested in what other people think but I'm not trying to impress anyone. I just love my car.
I've driven just about all of them, and I must say, I have learned more about vehicle handling and dynamics driving these woefully underpowered Miatas. You learn how precious momentum is and you understand just how much of a sacrifice you are making when you lift -even just a little- when you're really going for it.

I would say the far higher output of the S-2000 helps make up for my limitations as a driver and the more power you grant me, the dumber I will stay as a driver.

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Here's the 1990 NA I owned for a couple seasons several years ago. It had under 40K on it, and was a great little roadster.
IMG_20180709_140013213_HDR.jpg

Of course, I stupidly sold it, and have regretted it ever since.

We're now looking to buy another MX-5, probably an NC.

There is a beautiful, yellow, 2008 Saturn Sky (260hp Red Line version) with 18,000 on it currently at a local dealership, and we almost bought it the other day, but because it had almost zero storage for weekend trips, and finding out that collision insurance coverage for this car is unavailable from our insurer, I assume due to the unavailability of body parts, etc., we had to reluctantly pass it by.

Regardless, when we find a suitable MX-5, we'll be very happy with it.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Here's the 1990 NA I owned for a couple seasons several years ago. It had under 40K on it, and was a great little roadster.
View attachment 1008856

Of course, I stupidly sold it, and have regretted it ever since.

We're now looking to buy another MX-5, probably an NC.

There is a beautiful, yellow, 2008 Saturn Sky (260hp Red Line version) with 18,000 on it currently at a local dealership, and we almost bought it the other day, but because it had almost zero storage for weekend trips, and finding out that collision insurance coverage for this car is unavailable from our insurer, I assume due to the unavailability of body parts, etc., we had to reluctantly pass it by.

Regardless, when we find a suitable MX-5, we'll be very happy with it.
You will be happier with a Miata than you would be with the Saturn. I don’t understand the attraction with the Saturn. A lot of people get excited about 260 horsepower. Well whoopty do. It’s still a cheaply built poorly designed car. You can buy a rare supercharged 330 horsepower Karman—built Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 roadster for similar money. You can get a tune that provides over 400 horsepower if that’s what you want. Park one next to the Saturn and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Having said that, I am a Crossfire owner and a former Miata owner. The Miata is more fun.

Last edited:

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
What about turning a Miata into an Alfa? So rad.

You will be happier with a Miata than you would be with the Saturn. I don’t understand the attraction with the Saturn. A lot of people get excited about 260 horsepower. Well whoopty do. It’s still a cheaply built poorly designed car. You can buy a rare supercharged 330 horsepower Karman—built Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 roadster for similar money. You can get a tune that provides over 400 horsepower if that’s what you want. Park one next to the Saturn and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Having said that, I am a Crossfire owner and a former Miata owner. The Miata is more fun.
Agree, sis had one. I thought it was garbage; those Saturn Skys/Pontiac Solstices weigh about 600-700lbs more than the Miata. 260hp in a 3000lb car is very meh, and they offer no other advantages, several disadvantages. My '13 5.0 Stang had north of 400hp/390ft-lb at around 3,600lbs; "fun" is not a word I'd use to describe the experience in retrospect. Way too easy to get in over your head. Perfection: 333hp @ 3,400lbs in my old M3 with very little low rev-torque (260?). Lovely on track and street.

"It's a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow." Words to live by.