Miata Day 2022

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Spent the day at The Larz Anderson Automobile Museum in Brookline, Massachusetts today for Miata Day.

I've been wanting to go for the last few years but weather and Covid nixed it each time. Today was a perfect day... blue skies, 80 degrees, and zero humidity.

Just an amazing array of Miatas, from the first generation (NA, like mine) right up til the 2022 models (ND).

It's sponsored by Mass Miata, and their previous show record was 171 Miatas. Today, 246 Miatas showed up.

Here are a few pics:
20220710_115610.jpg

20220710_131820.jpg

20220710_111529.jpg

20220710_094512.jpg

20220710_094504.jpg

This car was absolutely breathtaking, and should have won Best in Show, but it placed 2nd. It's a 1993 Limited Edition with only 10,000 miles on it:
20220710_094652.jpg

20220710_094709.jpg

20220710_094727.jpg

...and here's mine:
20220710_135931.jpg

Stratohacker

Tele-Afflicted
Very cool.

My wife and I got a NA when they first came out. Great little car. We had to sell it once we started a family. Jump forward over twenty years later, our oldest is graduated from college and is working, our twins are both in college. No more driving kids around and picking them up so I got a new daily driver.

She's a 2018 RF - great car, reliable, fun to drive and gets good gas mileage.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
Cool! A year or two ago I asked for suggestions for a fun car under $10k, and Miata was most likely the most-name-dropped.

My aunt and uncle love theirs. Heck, maybe they were at that meetup if it's nationally-known.

Thanks for sharing. Maybe someday I'll get one. They seem like a blast!

knavel

Tele-Holic
I had a 1998 and it did the most intercontinental travel of any car. Japan->California->England->Italy->Spain->California->Spain->Arizona.

My brother has it now. I couldn't get it back after the Italian registration was switched to USA in Spain (US military). There was a wink and a nod guy in Italy who could get these cars through there but in Spain they simply refused because there is an upside to Italian style corruption in these sorts of instances.

I really hated to see it go. Same deal as above; I had three children and that car wasn't of great utility so I traded it to my brother for his Fiat Panda. My wife is still slightly bitter about the loss.

The Miata ran particularly well once I got rid of the performance destroying California emissions bolt-ons in the downpipe.

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Would love to own a 1st gen if I didn’t live in the city.
Actually, a first generation Miata is great car to own in the city if you can avoid being swallowed by one of those Chicago potholes. I drove mine very happily in Milwaukee and the suburbs for three or four years. The positive aspects are that you still get the fun of shifting and running from stoplight to stoplight (much more enjoyable than any automatic trans car in my opinion), you can squeeze into parking spots, and it's relatively inexpensive so you don't need to freak out about minor body damage. If you do have an accident, parts are available. If you have to park on the street overnight, you probably would need a hard top and a beefed up security system.

You should go for it, but maybe wait until next spring to buy. Or, if you have extra garage space, buy one in the middle of winter when prices may be cheaper.

Flat6Driver

Poster Extraordinaire
I really need to take a picture of my NA full of gear. They can hold a surprising amount.
I have an NB. I didn't drive it that much, but due to the price of gas, I have parked the 4 door V8 Tundra and have been driving the Miata (helps that it's summer). I don't currently have anything band related to do, but when I did, I could put a blues Jr in the trunk with a handful of pedals or a bag, and I think include a guitar in a softcase.

Did you know....if you turn the key to the left, it disables the trunk release in the console, so you can keep people out of the trunk that know about the release lever. I learned that a few months ago after having the car since 2016.

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I fabricated and routed air conditioning hoses for a “Monster Miata” back in the 90’s. Lemme tell ya’ if you think they’re fun with the Mazda four banger you ought to try one with a Mustang GT spec. 302. The second hairiest street car I’ve ever driven.
There were more than a few there yesterday with Corvette LS engine swaps, then there was this abomination:
20220710_125104.jpg

20220710_125043.jpg

20220710_122251.jpg

^^^^ Yes... that's a parachute

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Actually, a first generation Miata is great car to own in the city if you can avoid being swallowed by one of those Chicago potholes. I drove mine very happily in Milwaukee and the suburbs for three or four years. The positive aspects are that you still get the fun of shifting and running from stoplight to stoplight (much more enjoyable than any automatic trans car in my opinion), you can squeeze into parking spots, and it's relatively inexpensive so you don't need to freak out about minor body damage. If you do have an accident, parts are available. If you have to park on the street overnight, you probably would need a hard top and a beefed up security system.

You should go for it, but maybe wait until next spring to buy. Or, if you have extra garage space, buy one in the middle of winter when prices may be cheaper.
I bought a 2003Mustang Convertible in November 2005. Yes, they aren’t in demand and cos a little less. Salesmen saying how do you think ice will look on that convertible top isn’t a selling point.