MF Stupid Deal-G&L ASAT Tribute

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chiogtr4x, Jun 28, 2021.

1. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Same here - I was really close because that’s a gorgeous guitar. I can get along fine with thin necks but they are not my favorite. And I really do not like oval shape profiles - Cs, Us and soft Vs please!

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I feel the same, and I'm the OP-
    But some folks dig thin necks too.
    Does seem like a good deal

Controller likes this.
  3. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

I've been jonesing for a Custom-style HB/SC mix Tele since the American Original CuNiFe Customs came out last year. I've had my eye on these Bluesboys and heard mostly good things about them. I like the neck HB's sound in demos online... BUT at this point in my life I'm not going to spend even $300 on a guitar with a neck I may not get along with.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I bought one last year on the SDOTD. It's a great guitar; quality-wise I'd say it's up there with Fender Players. Good sounding pickups - doesn't really feel like you're playing a Tele though IMO.

I went nuts with GAS and bought nine guitars though so I just sold my Bluesboy last week - for $300.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  5. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oh - I think it is an excellent deal, as well, to the right person - I just don't think I'd like the feel of the neck.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  6. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Very interesting theory.. is there any way to prove these are some kind of special runs that are cheaper? It would make sense the way MF/GC are not normally G&L dealers at all. It makes little sense for G&L to wreck their brand doing this.

I have only tried G&L Tributes at a "flagship/custom shop" G&L dealer. They were pretty much all immaculate and perfect and the only way to tell them apart from the USA ones was the obvious wood and finish differences. They were certainly better than I expect a Player Tele/Strat to be if I pick one off the shelf at a GC.

Drew617 and Chiogtr4x like this.
  7. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Afflicted

Well I went ahead and ordered one. Have twenty some guitars with all kinds of neck profiles and thickness, none of them bother me. We shall see.

Telecaster88 and Chiogtr4x like this.
  8. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think you made a good choice. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality. Have been looking for a Tele custom style for awhile and hoped this was it. So close.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  9. Chiogtr4x

Cool please let us know what you think about the guitar and the neck shape maybe I'll catch it next time if you like it

10. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just talked myself out of this when I was on Facebook. Now, here we are again...

Telecaster88 likes this.
  11. e23589

e23589 Tele-Meister

8pounds 5 ounces

12. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Bunch of treads over at guitarsbyleo.com about it. The owner is not G&L but seems well connected. They are definitely special runs, at least, and appear built to a price point. All the exclusives I’ve seen come with thin satin neck finishes, almost of bodies in solid opaque colors and fitted with standard pickups built “to G&L spec” rather than the real, very unique G&L designs in a lot of full fat Tributes.

None of that has to be a bad thing, but it’s a pretty different experience than an ash guitar with MFDs or even CLF-100s in it.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  13. e23589

e23589 Tele-Meister

Mine is solid ash it would be heavier than the Blues boy that is made of poplar!

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  14. Chiogtr4x

Interesting ,
    my Telecaster is Poplar and it's too heavy for me at least, around 9 lbs. Thanks

e23589 likes this.
  15. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

I've already got a MIM Tele with humbucker in the neck, so the temptation isn't really strong, but I am thinking about it. The last few G&L Tributes I've picked up haven't had the quality that they had ten years ago.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.