1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mexican truss rod nut

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by anthony, Mar 4, 2021.

1. anthony

anthony TDPRI Member

Hi, hope soemone can assist me.

I have bought a used Player series tele, and now find that the truss rod hex nut is stripped.

I believe that these can be replaced, by removing the plastic dowel insert and usin some type of extractor tool to unscrew them from the hole.

The questions I have are ;

1, How to remove the plastic dowel from the truss rod hole.

2, I presume that getting the dowel out , will mean replacing it with a new one .

Would anyone know whether I can buy these anywhere in the uk?

3 I know that with the USA models the wooden dowel acts as a stop which the truss rod adjusts against to flex.

Is this the same for the plasyic one ?

Thanks for your help

Fendereedo likes this.
  2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

3. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Best of luck- this is a tough one. Fender spec says to use a hair dryer, not a heat gun, and to tape aluminum foil around the headstock to prevent damage. Heat the plastic sleeve until the glue melts, then unscrew the nut to back out the sleeve or use a paper clip or other tool to pull the sleeve out. You can use a drill out to remove the nut itself. Same procedure as the American standard with the walnut plug.

I live in the nova/dc area and couldn’t find a single tech who could confidently do this for my am std. Best response I got was from a large chain who shall remain nameless who literally told me “sure, we’ll give it a shot.” Even a local guy who was fender certified said he’d never done one before. Don’t mean to be a Debbie downer, just wanted to share my sample size of 1.

Fendereedo likes this.
  4. anthony

anthony TDPRI Member

Thanks Fendereedo, I had watched this video, but it shows a wooden dowel being removed.
    I was just wondering if there was some other method for the plastic one- as heating it with a solder gun would melt it?

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. Fendereedo

Hi Anthony, it is a tough call mate to be honest. It's the only vid I could find though. That Stew Mac kit is pretty good. They have a lot of demo stuff on YT as well, which might be helpful. Good luck though buddy with the removal of the nut.

6. Fendereedo

Just curious @anthony, is there a tech near you. I used to live near Doncaster, and there was a chap who used to fix John Squires guitar, used to work out of Electromusic, sadly they're gone, but I can look the guy up if your in the Yorkshire area.

stepvan likes this.
  7. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Was anyone able to sort out WHY the truss rod was stripped at the hex? You may be able to get a long pattern Allen wrench and tap it in to get it to catch, the hex nuts are pretty deep and usually strip at the top 1/3 maybe or if the wrong wrench was used just a thought.

Fendereedo likes this.
  8. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE TDPRI Member

A common reason for stripping hex nuts in MiM Fenders is their irritating use of Metric and Imperial parts on the same guitar. Coupled with the fact that a 4mm metric Allen wrench is slightly undersized to fit a 3/16" hex but will indeed turn it. However put too much torque through the 3/16" hex and a 4mm key will strip it.

If you somehow needed even more proof that the imperial system is an engineering blunder, there you go.

anthony, Fendereedo and stepvan like this.
  9. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yeah I can't argue with good logic!

Fendereedo likes this.
  10. anthony

anthony TDPRI Member

Thanks Fendereedo, but I am in Swansea. - There are some guitar techs close to me , but ideally I would like to try to repair this myself

Fendereedo likes this.
  11. anthony

anthony TDPRI Member

Hi ,
    I have managed to get a flat headed screwdriver into the truss rod hole , and am able to turn the nut. I have adjusted the relief ok.

I will still want to replace the nut though, looks like I will need to heat the plastic dowel to remove it - using JamesAM advice.

So i am still wondering as to whether I can buy a new plastic dowel- or do I need to replace the dowel at all?

Fendereedo likes this.
  12. Fendereedo

No probs mate, best of luck to you.

13. Fendereedo

I think Fender sell blanks, but you may need to cut them. It's a long time since I saw them though.

stepvan likes this.
  14. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but given that your truss rod is NOT a two-way/bi-flex, the plug is purely cosmetic. You could leave it off, unless it bothered you visually?

It's my considered opinion that those plugs (both plastic and wood) may be one of the actual causes of stripped truss rod nuts. If they don't line up well with the angle/center line of the hex, it can prevent you from getting the allen wrench fully engaged and then........! I think it's a pretty pi$$-poor design! I think the older "bullet" design was a better way to do it, although it does not facilitate the "bi-flex" system. But for that matter, I've not seen many necks that truly require the opposite function of the "bi-flex" rod. This would lead me to believe that even on a MIA, as long as the neck doesn't require that reverse action function, the plug could be left out and the neck fitted with a bullet style nut, even as clunky and ugly as many may think it to be! Or just leave the plug out, for more precise access to the existing nut/hex.

Just My "Nutty" Thoughts!
    Gene

image.jpeg

JamesAM likes this.
  15. anthony

anthony TDPRI Member

Thanks Gene,
    That is what I was wondering myself- the option of leaving the dowel out!
    But, I have had some luck, in that whatever I did with the flat headed screwdriver which let me turn the nut, has let me now insert the 3/16" allen key and turn with that?
    Happy days..

Fendereedo and JamesAM like this.
  16. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

There is absolutely no reason to remove the plastic truss rod insert on a MiM neck. The nut simply unscrews out.
    The Fender replacement part number is 0038454000

LutherBurger and JamesAM like this.
  17. anthony

anthony TDPRI Member

Thank you - thats good news Tuxedo Poly!

18. Blockhart329

Blockhart329 TDPRI Member

My dilemma is a broken truss rod. I removed it, but cannot find another just like it. I will most likely end up making a new one for my 21 Yr old Squiet Strat neck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.