Mexican Teles to Grow old with?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ngr33n, Jan 6, 2011.

1. ngr33n

ngr33n TDPRI Member

I'm new to this forum, and I don't own a Tele. I'm looking at probably buying on here in July or August though.

I should mention that my TOTAL budget will probably be something to the tune of 900 USD. That's a guitar, a little amp, case, everything that I will need...so realistically I'm looking at spending about 600-700 on the axe itself.

SO. For <700, what's your favorite Tele? What are some things I should look for when going to try them out?

2. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

There are so many variables as to why I might like a guitar but you may not it's pretty well impossible to say but if I were looking for a Telecaster in that price range I'd be looking for a MIM 60's Classic... You may prefer different features though.

What to look out for...? Well, my only real advice is to try lots of them and pick the one you like the best.

3. Prison Rodeo

Prison Rodeo Tele-Meister

You *might* be able to get a used USA Standard for that, if you're patient and look hard.

A Highway One would be a nice one at that price point.

Oh, and on the amp: Vox Pathfinder 15R.

4. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I'd say the 50's Classic, or 60's Classic depending on whether you prefer maple or rosewood fretboards, or if you have a strong preference for one set of colours (2-colour burst, black, white blond or black, CAR, Olympic white).

MIM quality is generally very good, but it can sometimes be a little inconsistent. I'd be looking for a fairly lightweight one, with a nice tight neck pocket and a bridge and control plate that was properly aligned. Just play as many as you can, then pick one that that feels good.

5. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Ya a used 50's or 60's Classic is the way to go.

you should be able to find a used one for $400-500 and have $400 left over for a nice amp

They are great guitars that will last a lifetime.

6. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Where in NE Ohio are you? I'm a tele fan myself. I can't see any reason not to keep my MiM teles for a long, long time. Pups and electronics are easily swapped in and out...as long as you like the neck and body, you are good to go. IMHO, of course.

7. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Be sure to check out a '69 Thinline RI.

8. Tele-Monster

Tele-Monster Friend of Leo's

Used Baja?

9. smokerjoe34

smokerjoe34 Tele-Holic

U get can get a very nice USA Tele with case for 700.00 anytime u want right now !! They r killer guitars too !! I'm not much on the Mexi stuff ??? I have tried them and liked them for awhile but always go back to my USA tele's ?? I think I am a snob to some point though ?? lol

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  10. silentactors

silentactors Tele-Meister

I would look towards an American Standard Used. You can find them with a case anywhere from $600 - $750. If I was going to "grow old" with it, thats the route I would take.

Alot of folks (as will I) will just recommend you go out and try all sorts of teles and see which ones, or which particular one really jumps out or "speaks" to you.

Let us know how the search goes and good luck!!

11. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

While all the suggestions so far are well meaning...you first could Help by stating if you prefer Vintage or Modern features ?....What kind of Guitars you are used to ?...the Style of Music you play...all of this would be Helpful in getting more informed answers to your question...but that's just me ?....some Folks just like to Type......;)

12. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

I'd rather have an MIM 60s Classic than an American Standard Telecaster, mainly because the former has vintage style frets and fingerboard radius. I'd look at 60s Classic and 50s Classic, and pick out the one that had the best playability and sound unplugged. +1 on looking at used guitars.

13. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I'd definitely say the 50s Classic is a guitar to grow old with. That's been my main guitar for the last 3 or 4 years.

14. paulsoud

paulsoud Tele-Meister

I got a beautiful Standard Ash '07 MIM Tele on eBay, with hard shell case, for $410. Don't be scared to try the internet, but make sure you operate through Paypal.

15. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

My MIM 50s Classic is a Tele that I intend keeping for a long time, as I got it for a good price £250 (at the time $360), and it just plays and sounds really nice, and is a solid well put together Fender.

It does have a 7.5 radius neck though, which although it suits me, doesnt suit everyone. The 60s Classics have less radiused necks, and may suit you more.

The only mods I have done to mine are a 4 way switch and I change pickguards every now and then.

These MIMs are true to their names IMO, they are classic Telecasters.

I'm pretty sure they'd last a lifetime too.;)

16. Coach305

Coach305 Tele-Holic

Selling points for the Baja:
    • Vintage three-saddle bridge
    • Soft-v neck
    • Custom Shop-designed pickups (Twisted Tele neck, Broadcaster bridge)
    • S-1 switching system for additional tonal flexibility
    How you feel about the neck profile and the sound of the pickups is, of course, subjective. You shouldn't buy a Baja without trying one first. I love mine, but others are less enthusiastic. It shouldn't be difficult to find a vendor willing to knock 10-15% off the usual retail price, which would put it in the $680-720 range brand new...

17. giginthesky

giginthesky Friend of Leo's

for $900 i'd be playing my new used 50's/60's classic and my new used blues jr all night long.

18. ADK Teleman

ADK Teleman Tele-Afflicted

My 2009 MIM Standard Tele is one that I will keep forever!! I love that guitar! Even the electronics on it are amazing....I think someone screwed up and put in the smae pups as on my MIA Standard....It is one sweet sounding guitar!

19. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I would just start to look for a good used Mexican one and buy something like a Vox Ac15 or Fender superchamp. The amp is as important as the guitar

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.