Mexican Standard Butterscotch blonde

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by nick79, Oct 31, 2017.

1. nick79

nick79 TDPRI Member

Hi guys, has anyone here got one of these? Just wondering what shade of butterscotch they are, i'm unable to check one out in the flesh and pics on guitar dealers websites are leaving me a bit unsure.

Thanks

2. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

They are the darker amber color butterscotch like the now discontinued 1982-2012 era AVRI 52 Teles.

[​IMG]

nick79 likes this.
  3. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Try going to the Guitar Owners forum here and search out the FSR Deluxe Ash club and you will see some samples. The photo above is more orange than the actual guitars (or at least mine.) The finish isn’t as nice as the 52 or other nitro finishes, but it scratches the itch at a fraction of the cost. I’m very happy with mine.

nick79 likes this.
  4. nick79

nick79 TDPRI Member

Thanks guys

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nick, you may be in a bind.

The Butterscotch version or "FSR" of the MIM Standard, tends to be commissioned in large lots by the huge retailers and big box stores of the USA. This isn't a conventional model you'll find as part of the catalog and Mom and Pop places in the USA can't easily get these either. IF this model is to be found in the UK or EU, check the big Internet sources and see if they have it - I don't recall them having these.

Hate to say this but the surest way to see one is to make some vacation plans to the USA, or maybe track down one that's been brought back by someone who bought it over here. It is similar to some Squier models ya'll have there, but not exactly. Much more like earlier versions of the AV52 than those since 2014.

6. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I think it's available as a standard color this year.

baldwindp likes this.
  7. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

Here's mine with a B-Bender, a phase switch and a D-tuner .......JH in Va. 100_2359.JPG 100_2360.JPG 100_2362.JPG

8. Slim Chance

I just checked the Fender USA site and BSB is indeed offered as a MIM Standard. Wonder how this will affect the demand for the FSR Deluxe Ash? THe Standards aren't ash, but they are translucent. Add an inexpensive vintage bridge and saddles and you have a pseudo-52. Of course tuners and scratch plate would need to be changed as well.

mnutz likes this.
  9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This is a "trans" color, not an opaque color.

And thus the appearance will heavily depend on what species of wood lays under the trans finish.

Ash can have anything from a silvery white/gray appearance, to a fairly yellow blonde color, often with vivid streaks from the heavy graining.

Alder is more of a salmon-medium light gray hue, which of course can range and the graining is normally quite a bit less conspicuous.

I've shot the same blonde toners over maple, over ash, over alder, and over basswood and got substantially different results.

A really good metric for a BSB over alder is the ubiquitous Made in China Squier Affinity Special (toploader). Not a bad look, but if you wanted that look over an ash body you'd formulate the toner in a very different way.

mnutz likes this.
  10. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Yeah in the Sweetwater pic it looks almost solid, with nearly no visible grain.

11. Slim Chance

From the Fender site -

BSB_MIM.jpg

Interestingly, It appears redder on my screen in the TDPRI site than on the Fender site.

12. nick79

nick79 TDPRI Member

Thanks guys, you've been very helpful. J Hayes, yours looks stunning - Very tastefully modded and pretty much the look i'm after.
    This model appears to be widely available in the UK, but unfortunately the nearest dealer with one in stock is at least 2 hours away. I'm hoping to make a trip soon but things are busy right now so it may just be a case of ordering. But at least now i have maybe more of an idea of the hue.

And just to make things more awkward i've spied the 50's Classic Lacquer.... Damn that looks good

13. derrellgore

derrellgore TDPRI Member

Actually I will have one of these in my hands tomorrow. Ordered from Sweetwater. Never seen one in person but I liked the pictures. I'll see if I can take some pics and post them when it gets here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.