Mexi Tele fit issues

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ratrob, Dec 8, 2019.

1. ratrob

ratrob TDPRI Member

Hello all,

I bought a mexi tele a few years back with the intent of upgrading the pickups, electronics and pickguard. I did similar upgrades for my daughters tele several years back with no issues at all however I’m having some fit issues with my tele.

First, I had noticed the original pickguard was bowing before I even touched it but I didn’t think much of it because I was getting ready to upgrade it. It didn’t bow at first but developed over time I guess. As I’m testing the fit of my new Allparts guard, I noticed it was bowing too. After some assessment, I found that some of the holes don’t line up well and seems to be causing the bowing. I’ve also noticed the control plate doesn’t fit in the notch in the pickguard. Second, when I put my new CTS pots on the control plate, they’re too big hitting the top of the recess and the screw holes don't line up now. Last, when I put the new four way switch on the control plate, it doesn’t fit and I cannot get it flush against the body. It looks like the recess where the pots are is deeper than the recess where the switch is.

I’ve read a few posts with similar issues and I’m thinking of lining up my pickguard as best I can and re-drilling the few holes that really dont lineup; looks like theres 2 or 3 holes that need to be redrilled. I’m also thinking of moving the holes of the control plate slight lower towards the back of the guitar making room for the pots and also helping it fit into the pickguard. As for the four way switch, Ive read posts saying to just bend the lugs on the switch and insulate but mine doesn’t even come close to fitting my tele body. I don’t think that would work and I’m wondering if I would need to deepen the route on the control plate recess.

So before I do anything I need to ask if these are typical problems? I’m wondering if my mexi body holes were a little off from the factory, especially since I had pickguard bowing before I had even messed with anything. Has anybody thought their body was off? Also, am I crazy to mess with the body so much or is this necessary sometimes? I dont think doing these changes would be too hard but I’m also starting to wonder if I should take it to my local shop; they do really good work there. Any suggestions would be helpful!

2. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Just a thought, but one of the better things about the MIM's are the pickups and electronics. Not that they can't be improved upon, but at the price point, they are very much up to the task.

3. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

I can’t comment on whether the holes are off or not but the control plate not fitting probably has to do with the allparts guard being off one of the reasons I refuse to use allparts products is because the tolerances are never close enough and always a little off on all the products I’ve tried

4. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I have 3 MIM Fenders and have not experienced any of the problems you have. The CTS pots and Switchcraft switch I upgraded to fit perfectly, and I have gone through several different pickguards with no issues.

Maybe you got one off the line late Friday afternoon or first thing Monday morning?

The good thing about MIM guitars is you can modify them any way you can imagine without affecting any resale value, so if you want to rout or redrill holes, go for it. It won't hurt anything.

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

It is actually quite common for mounting screw holes to be a little off on aftermarket parts.

On an all-stock guitar, though, the fit and finish should not suffer these issues.

Best bet is to fill all screw holes and re-drill for a precise fit so everything looks good.

Switches are also different spec. Some are shorter and some are longer. If your new switch touches the bottom of the recess and there's shielding paint (or copper tape) in the recess, it will ground out the signal.

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Allparts are not known for accuracy. MIJ and Asian Fender parts don't necessarily fit North American guitars.

The four-way switch can require some changes to the rout - it's bigger in the sub-guard part and the lever travels further.

7. ratrob

ratrob TDPRI Member

Thank you everybody for your replies, just knowing some of these issues are common is bringing me peace of mind.

As I stated in my post, I did similar upgrades to my daughters guitar and did't have any of these issues, everything fit really well. Her guitar is probably 10 years older than mine. I am going to see how hard it would be to do these mods and take it from there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.