Metronome Advice

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by graybeard65, Feb 25, 2020.

1. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

I’d like to add a metronome to my practice routine - and in my mind, it seems like the kind i’d like the most is the classic pendulum type.

I see them from $25 all the way up to several hundred dollars - quite a range of both quality and price.

if you’ve had great luck, or not so great...or if there is a better option for learning, I’d love to hear what you’ve got to say.

even better...if you’ve got an old metronome that you’d be interested in selling, let me know what you’ve got and what you’d like to get for it.

thanks folks!

2. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

My wife wanted a real pendulum type metronome. We bought one off the internet. From memory it was pretty cheap and it seems to work well (I haven't tested it to see how exact the bpm is).

If it were just me, I'd be happy with a phone metronome app.

Edit to add - I looked it up. 15 pounds from the UK via ebay back in 2016.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    graybeard65 likes this.
  3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

There are apps and cheap tuners with metronomes and other features from Korg.

My mother was a serious classical singer and pianist and had a lovely classic wooden metronome with a wind up mechanism she kept on the piano top and that I used to play with. I know the aesthetic appeal.

Can’t recommend a brand of traditional metronome, I’d just use Amazon reviews, but i use the click/metronome in my Boss RC3 looper a lot. That is a powerful practice feature.

graybeard65 likes this.
  4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've got a cheap pendulum type. It works very well, and I prefer to see the arm swinging as that helps me with pushing and pulling timing. I've tried electronic ones, and they're not for me. They may be for you though.
    The cheap wind-up ones are for practice space only. A 'classic' wooden one makes a nice ornament too.

Try both types. Try a clip-on tuner with a metronome built in too.

Note :- Little time though I have for electronic metronomes, I have no trouble with click tracks via in-ears or headphones.

graybeard65 likes this.
  5. pj1440

pj1440 TDPRI Member

I have had a few electronic ones that I didnt get on with, either to quiet or too fiddly. I also tried some Phone apps too.
    What I have now is a KORG KDM 3 and I like it!
    It will go quite loud and has a nice tone and has a knob rather than buttons to adjust tempo.

graybeard65 likes this.
  6. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

There was a metronome thread a few weeks ago. Maybe you can find more info there.

graybeard65 likes this.
  7. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Wittner MT-50. I’ve had it for close to 20 years. Uses a 9v battery. 3 positions-off, click & flash, silent & flash
    I have no complaints or criticisms with it

graybeard65, Telecaster88 and DekeDog like this.
  8. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

This. I have a QWiK TiME that does the same thing. Digital display, but no volume control. It does have a headphone jack. Couldn't have paid more than $20-30 for it.

graybeard65 likes this.
  9. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

Personally, I would go for an electronic one that has a tap temp button. There are times that I want to match a song's tempo, or just match the tempo in my head and the tap feature is great for that. I have a Korg.

Another thing to consider is a cheap drum machine. Its a lot more fun playing to a drum track. I got a Mooer drum pedal with a tap tempo feature and it makes practicing less boring.

graybeard65 likes this.
  10. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Drum machine, or drum pedal = good idea!

I had a drum machine, and while programming was a life lesson in tedium, it was fun to play along with.

I toyed with the idea of a Beat-Buddy, but settled on a Digitech Trio, later a Trio+ The Trio+ is a wonderful pedal, but, for scales and transitions, nothing beats watching that arm swing relentlessly back and forth, and for added fun, enable the bell.

graybeard65 likes this.
  11. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

My little Korg metronome has the option of a different sound on the first beat of the bar. I use that feature a lot when reading tricky rhythms from a score.

graybeard65 likes this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Korg KDM-2. I hated practice with a metronome until a guitar teacher/music store owner suggested this one after I had gone through a bunch. When I brought it to our band practice, a few others bought them too. It is everything a metronome should be. It has a light that changes color for the beginning of a measure that keeps me honest and the volume is very adjustable along with a sound that goes well with guitar. About five years on with it and no regrets.
    IMG_4263.JPG

13. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

If you’re comfortable with computers you can literally type “metronome” into Google, and the result is Google’s (free) metronome with adjustable tempo, volume, etc.

14. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

I've got one of these - I like to set it so the little lady hollers out numbers and claps (she doesn't know any number above 7, though - I've been working on "Money", so that's good enough).

D.H.

[​IMG]

pj1440 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.