Method for grounding bridge plate

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Kmaxbrady, Feb 14, 2020 at 10:35 PM.

1. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Meister

Question for all you builders/luthiers out there. What is the standard method Fender uses for grounding a tele bridge. My classic vibe uses a wire the comes up through the body under the bridge and simply pinches between bridge and body. Is that common? And if so is the placement of that hole standard?

kuvash likes this.
  2. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

That's the way I ground mine..

kuvash and Dismalhead like this.
  3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, that's standard, although I do give mine a little extra help in contact.

kuvash and Dismalhead like this.
  4. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Meister

I thought 'Standard' would be through the pickup baseplate, pickup screws, bridge plate. No separate ground directly to the bridge, it's not usually needed unless you have a pickup without that grounded metal plate.

Switchy likes this.
  5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I make that wire a little longer, remove the shielding where it runs under the plate, spread the wire strands thin and place them under the plate screws so they screw through it as well as have the plate clamp down on it.

It's basically the same us just placing the end of the ground wire under the plate but I figure it's harder to have it pulled out if the screws grip it and with it being spread out thin there is less chance of it lifting the plate.

moosie likes this.
  6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been going hi-tech....:D

I make a bigger hole so it's easier to get a good drill through angle for the wire... then solder a small spring onto a wire to make the contact with the bridge metal...

no one will ever see it unless they take the bridge off,,,, it's never going to fail...:)

bridge earth spring1.jpg

earth spring2.jpg

7. Guitar MD

Guitar MD TDPRI Member

I get static crackles from my 3-ply pickguard, so assume, apart carrying from anti-static dryer sheets in my case, I should add a ground strip to the guard at some stage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

9. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I use @Rob DiStefano's method. Separate ground wire to one of the bridge mounting bolts.

SPUDCASTER and gkterry like this.
  10. poboy

poboy Tele-Meister

I have used a short section of copper foil that extends from the back of the cavity to under a bridge mounting screw. Then a small screw through the foil into the cavity wood to hold the ground wire.

11. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes, do the static and grounding scheme. makes a big difference.
    Shielding and for static pickguards:

I have had static issues with Teles a lot. Not sure why that is. Ensure your bridge is grounded.

Shield the pickup cavities and the control cavity with metal tape. Aluminum from the hardware store is fine. Just do the easy shielding, it doesn't need to be 100% , just a wide rectangular strip under the pickup and control is fine. Carry the shield out of the cavity and over the top edge a bit... maybe 1/8". Just so the pickguard tape contacts this.

Make sure all the pots are grounded together, take that ground to a small solder tab in or near the bridge pickup cavity. Solder the bridge ground wire to this tab also. This little tab is screwed thru the Aluminum tape into the body for contact. (Fender uses this tab... on their better guitars anyway.) You could just use a wire around a screw.
    many USA Fenders use this tab already:

Put the Aluminum tape on the back of the pickguard if there is none. (doesn't need 100%) The goal is to have this tape contact the cavity tape (where it bends over the top of the cavity edge) when the pickguard is screwed down and thus grounding thru the little solder tab.

Here's what I have done additionally for hum :
    use a shielded wire from the input jack to the pot. (this is for hum elimination if you need it) Ground only one end of the shielded wire.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.