Metal Electroform Stickers

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mPacT, May 2, 2016.

1. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

So last year, I saw this StewMac video that featured a Brazilian luthier that in a final touch on his guitars, would place a beautiful gold sticker that looked amazing. Here is the video, go to the 2:10 mark.

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Trade_Secrets/how_to_install_six-in-line_tuners.html

As soon I saw the sticker I was blown away by how nice it looked and how even the tiniest lettering could be used. In the past, I have used cut out metallic vinyl for headstock logos but there were limits on what it could do.
    I immediately began searching for a supplier. I tried contacting the luthier first, but sadly, it seems he closed his business. Dan mentions in the video that the stickers are called "nickel stick." If there is such a thing, I couldn't find it. So I kept looking. I found lots of places that would do large runs but not something for people like myself that didn't need 1000-10,000 copies. Plus a huge setup charge.

Finally, I located a manufacturer in China that would do a single A4 size sheet as the minimum. No setup fee and multiple color options, chrome, gold, brushed silver, copper and black nickel. A gold sheet cost $30 with silver being $20. I designed a sheet in Illustrator putting as many logos, headstock logos, model names and even truss rod cover emblems as would fit. I also put a few of rscalzi's on there as he seemed like he could use some on his current build. The really small "MSP's" are for the top of some knobs I'm going to demo soon.

MSP-Logo-Sheet-A4.jpg

Then I sent them an Illustrator file as most of the companies seemed to use it as standard. If you guys don't have Illustrator, contact me and I can convert your files for you. (Free.) The company said it would take 3-5 days turnaround. Mine took a solid week to produce. They offered two types of shipping 3-5 day fast for $35 and a slower, one week for $20. All via DHL.

This circle logo is only 1" in diameter so it should give you an idea of how small the lettering can be. BTW, the "P" is supposed to be hollow. That was an error that is being rectified. The three "dot" logo below it is supposed to be solid. That was my mistake as I should have filled them in on the original file. I took it for granted that they would know.

IMG_4657.jpg

IMG_4655.jpg

Here are Rick's logos. (They are on the way buddy!)

IMG_4654.jpg

Here are some of the color samples they also sent me, including black nickel for lbridenstine to see.

Color-examples.jpg

So dealing with them so far has been no problem. I'll post if I have difficulty getting the mistakes in the "P" fixed but I doubt it. One thing I thought about doing was making a sheet of consecutive serial numbers, maybe next time.

The contact for the company is a lady named Selina who has pretty good English. Just send an email with the color you want and the design file then Paypal the final cost.

sales@xiexingift.com

In looking for the link, I discovered that this is the company used for the stickers in the video! I should also point out that the similarity in the circle logo is purely coincidence.

Hope this helps.

http://www.oem-metalgifts.com/product/guitar_stickers.html

2. lbridenstine

lbridenstine Friend of Leo's

Those look really good! I really like the black nickel, I wouldn't have thought they would have it. Please update on tests.

3. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

Lisa, I think it is perfect for you. A sheet of gold and a sheet of black nickel would have you set for some time.

4. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the info, Mike. I've got a series of guitars I've wanted to do, and I need slightly different logos for each of them. This is a fantastic alternative to having a bunch of different screens made for screen printing.

5. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

I had a feeling you might like this Roger. I was actually going to ask if you wanted in on the test sheet and then got distracted with life, sorry buddy.

6. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Cool source! Thanks for sharing!

John

mPacT likes this.
  7. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

No worries, man. I'll definitely be hitting you up for the Illustrator services, though :D

mPacT likes this.
  8. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Those look very nice...

Am I the only one that sees the irony of ordering a "Made in USA" logo from China?

gregulator450, tvvoodoo and src9000 like this.
  9. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

No. . . No you are not. I kept reminding myself that yes the stickers are being made in China, but the guitar will be made here.

bloomz likes this.
  10. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Very Cool. Thanks for the info Mike.

mPacT likes this.
  11. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Very cool source! Thank you for posting that

12. jwilson

jwilson TDPRI Member

Thanks for posting! Might make some of these for my headstock logo.

mPacT likes this.
  13. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Yes! I've been lazily looking for a source that would do these in small quantities after seeing JFellowes nice ones (his source required larger quantities). Thanks!

I do all my stuff in Corel, which is very similar to illustrator. I think a friend of mine uses that, so hopefully it's easy enough to convert?

14. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

Try this.

15. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Easy!

(I like his narrator voice. He sounds like he's doing it for laughs. Like Ron Burgundy or something....)

I'm really pleased you've done the legwork on this, for me to now enjoy the fruits of your labour. The black nickel looks great! How much different does chrome look to brushed silver? (That link isn't working for me, on my phone)

16. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Those look great! I might have to come up with a logo now!

17. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

I tried to find a good angle for a picture but it didn't read the same as to my eye. Think brushed stainless steel, but a bit shinier. Definitely not as bright as the chrome but not as dull as say a brushed stainless steel appliance.

18. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

I bit the bullet last night and sent them an email. Let's see what their reaction time will be...

19. mPacT

mPacT Tele-Holic

Please post your experience.

20. Jfellows

Jfellows Tele-Afflicted

This is actually the same source I used, you can see it in my Jagmaster thread. I think they're fantastic and look great. Pricing is about the same as what I paid, although they didn't offer me the slower option, but it still worked out fine. They did mess up and send me two sheets of gold and only one of silver when I ordered the opposite. They have yet to make that right. They offered to run the missing sheet for free, but didn't want to pay to ship it to me. Asked if I could receive it with a future order. Which would be fine except that what I ordered will last me for years to come. They had agreed to ship it via post to me, but said it would take a while, that was two months ago.

But I do think the quality is good and they look fantastic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.