Metal corners are a bad fit

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by since71, Sep 25, 2018.

1. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It happens. The corners that hook inside may be better. I have hammered with some improvement before, but it depends. You may not have the wood underneath rounded off enough. It looks a bit "Pointed" in the picture... whack each corner in with a hammer! then put the metal corners on!
    Some metal corners are better than other too.. are yours a true 90 degrees?

since71 likes this.
  2. since71

since71 Tele-Meister

Thank you to everybody. I know what to do now.
    Just one question - do I take out the valves before hitting it with a hammer?;)

3. txbdan

txbdan TDPRI Member

Don't hammer it, you'll split the plywood. Just put a handheld orbital or oscillating sander on it. It'll take 5 seconds a corner. I've done exactly this before.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  4. doguitar

doguitar TDPRI Member

Looks like metal corners just need a bit if tweaking to get a good fit (and a hammer).

5. arcticbreaze

arcticbreaze Tele-Meister

If you built cab to original specks none of your front corners we be square anyway as front slopes. so some "adjustment" will always be needed

6. since71

since71 Tele-Meister

Yes, that was a joke. Plywood what plywood? I made mine from mahogany. Yes, you heard that right

7. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

Why not just do what one wise soul suggested? Just learn to live with it - the gap really isn't that bad. Remember not to do this and dry fit those corner covers the next time you build a cab.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  8. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

Late to the party, but are there different kinds of metal corners? Vintage v. modern? Genuine v. aftermarket? Or ???

9. since71

since71 Tele-Meister

The next time? I started this cab in 1966 and i've just finished it.

10. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The last cab I built with Tolex I ended up running all side pieces threw my drum sander to maybe 1/32+ under 3/4" because the corners did not fit. I had the wrap around style corners I also fit the corners on before I applied the tolex countersunk & drilled all the holes. When I installed them I used quick-clamps to hold them in all kinds of configurations and a plastic mallet was my friend. So I have also noticed not all corners are equal even the same brand can have just enough inconstancy in the radiuses to make it hard to get a perfect job.

11. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

WOW!! And I thought that I was bad at putting off projects and that I was slow. You got me beat by 20 years! I have a 1955 Chevy Bel Air project that I started as a kid and it's still waiting for me to strip the original paint and repaint and rebuilt it. I also have other projects that have been waiting almost 20 years, and some by 21 years that I need to get finished before HELL freezes over! I guess that filling those holes with wooden dowels and redrilling them to the fit that is more to your liking is the only thing that I can come with. Otherwise I have nothing else that I can tell you that will be helpful in this case.

radiocaster and since71 like this.
  12. bigguy12321

bigguy12321 Tele-Meister

1959-fender-tweed-deluxe-amp-neil-young.jpg
    So I suppose touring with it for 50 years is out of the question? ;)

I think it looks great as is. Remember, you built something that not many others can.

a

since71 likes this.
  13. since71

since71 Tele-Meister

Thank you, bigguy! At school I started a speaker, box joints made from mahogany planks. All subsequent environmental catastrophes are entirely my responsibility. The thing didn't get finished and it haunted me for a lifetime (almost) as a book shelf or something. Shame it got trashed, can you imagine a polished mahogany 1 x 12? Anyway, it bongs really nicely when you tap it conga style so sonically it works very well. A mere 7 years ago, having a spare Celestion blue I decided to finish the job. Its nearly done. The joy of a hobby is you never need to be in a hurry, it really doesn't matter.

14. bigguy12321

bigguy12321 Tele-Meister

How very Zen of you. hee hee he said bong...

Sorry. I took the low road.

The main thing is that you are going to make something that will please you and potentially annoy others. And that is cool. (My opinion is a point to point, solid state rectified 5F2a style with a 10 inch speaker.) You did ask for opinions right??? :D

a

since71 likes this.
  15. linux

linux TDPRI Member

Maybe I'm looking at the picture wrong, but it looks to me like the wood needs to be less rounded?

16. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I just used this type of corner on my cabinet build (with tolex). I had the correct roundover, but they still didn't fit perfectly. Like many have said, I used some gentle hammering to get it to fit perfectly (or at least good enough).

since71 likes this.
  17. since71

since71 Tele-Meister

Ok, while I appreciate your interest and contribution, reading the rest of the thread will remind you that, erm.. this advice may a bit late in any event but particularly here bearing in mind the date of manufacture.

18. since71

since71 Tele-Meister

19. bigguy12321

bigguy12321 Tele-Meister

Sorry. That was referencing a "water cooled herb burner". ie Cheech and Chong. Childish I know and saying that it dongs probably would have been worse. Sometimes I can't help myself.

Say @since71 , when do we get to hear the mahogany boxed amp cab. I'm actually interested because I've got some old mahogany that may become a cab.

Thanks and good morning! We visited your hometown about 3 years ago and loved touring the city. Did the tourist things mostly. Became very fond of the non-carbonated pumped cask ale! Hard to get in my locale. I've started making my own and not adding bottling sugar. Close but not quite.

...and you can leave the valves in when you bang it with the hammer but make sure you remove the tubes...

a

since71 likes this.
  20. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

Doing some cabinet work today reminded me of this thread. I left my 1/2" roundover bit aside and used the next size down. I don't remember what size it is! But a web search seems to bring up 3/8".

Check the radius w/ respect to a 'Fender' aftermarket corner from AES.
    IMG_2311.JPG

rogb and since71 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.