1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Metal, Ceramic or Glass Slide?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Maccai3, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Maccai3

Maccai3 TDPRI Member

just listening to Poor House by The Traveling Wilburys and loving the slide, love some Allman Bro's too

so....

Glass, Ceramic or Metal?

2. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

I have some Coricidin bottles that I got at an estate sale, and they work nice. I have a brass slide I like as well. I've had mudslides in the past, but not currently.
    I actually use a heavy chrome slide more than anything. The weight gives it the perfect string pressure without any work on my part, and the tone is almost lapsteel-ish.

3. Higgs F. Boson

Higgs F. Boson Tele-Holic

Metal!

I used glass for years for the Duane Allman thing, but I find metal much more resonant. Also, it's ruder. Especially on a Tele.

4. IamBlue

IamBlue TDPRI Member

I used glass for years and just bought a metal slide. I like metal.

5. Tele-writer

Tele-writer Tele-Meister

all of the above! each tool has its own area of excellence.

6. birddog01

birddog01 Tele-Afflicted

7. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

Lately I've been using Dunlop Coricidin bottles on electric guitar a lot with the band, though I'll likely return to (wine) bottlenecks for the heftier tone. At home I tend to use ceramic slides, especially on acoustic. I have a brass slide I like but the weight is a bit much.

Shubb steels for lapsteel guitar.

Peace, Mike.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  8. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

Heavy glass for electric (like Mike sez, maneuvering a heavy brass is tricky), Mudslide for acoustic, Shubb-Pearce for lap.

D.H.

9. Mike Bruce

I dig the closed end of the Coricidin bottles, it gives me a different kind of control over the slide because it doesn't sit right down in the crotches between my fingers like an open ended slide does. That's not better or worse, just different. If I could combine the heft of the bottleneck with a closed end I might like it.

Peace, Mike.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Glass sounds the most "vocal" to me.
    Brass, especially when oxidized, sounds nastiest.
    I'm a klutz, so I stopped using glass years ago.
    Never much cared for ceramic.
    Used to buy Coricidin just for the bottles, nice weight and fit.

11. dalandan

dalandan Tele-Afflicted

I use glass for a warmer more vocal tone and metal for that biting almost lap steel tone. You can afford one of each and have twice the fun!

I don't really like ceramic.

12. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

Light thin glass for electric. Heavier glass for my acoustic National resonators--I recently got a Diamond Bottleneck (from England) lead crystal one, relatively expensive but perfect. Metal sometimes for both.

13. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

A student of mine made a slide for me out of stainless steel. He rounded the edges nicely and roughed up the inside so it wouldn't slide off my finger. Beautiful thing. He worked for a plumbing supply manufacture.
    Seems to have a lot more sustain than glass but that's only mho.

14. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

15. Vulture

Vulture Tele-Meister

My first slide was the neck from an Old Crow bottle, worked great. Old Crow bottles are plastic now, really screwed up a good thing.

16. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer glass bottles, ideally Coricidin's or similar.

17. birddog01

birddog01 Tele-Afflicted

Mike, the slides not supposed to go down that far to the crotch/knuckle.
    Sounds like you slides are sized to big for your fingers.
    Cut some Velcro strips (fuzzy side) and lay them on the inside for a nice fit and you won't have that problem.
    But by all means let your finger breath and get it out of the coricin bottle and get an open end glass slide.;)

18. Vanguard448

Vanguard448 Tele-Meister

I used to use a glass slide. Then I dropped it and, surprise surprise, it broke. It had a lovely sound though... certainly taught me to be more careful!
    Now I use a medium wall chrome slide because I'm boring and a really nice copper slide made for me by a friend after I lost my first copper slide. When he gave it to me it was covered in black paint which he was unable to get off and was quite sharp, but with some sandpaper, a small offcut of cloth, some Cif cream (basically really, really thick cleaning fluid if you don't live in a country where it is available) and some help I was able to get it smooth and shiny. Works and sounds like a charm. And, yes I did repay him for it; I spent about 4-5 months before his birthday looking for a slide that would fit him well because he has very small fingers and eventually bought him an Ernie Ball pinky slide.

19. Mike Bruce

I think there are too many different ways to wear a slide to say what's "supposed" to be done.

For example, I sometimes wear a large glass slide on my pinky for Leo Kottke styled full 6 (or 12) string chords, and in that case the slide rests like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJNq5YqZ3EI down to the "crotch".

Generally though I wear a smaller (3/4" inside diameter) slide or Coricidin bottle and wear it like this (co-incidentally) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N65cP52NC8s It never goes past my second knuckle in that case.

I've tried your velcro trick on a beer bottle neck but find it gets skanky and it's a pain to clean. For what it's worth, I clean my slides with hand sanitizer or simply wash them with the kitchen dishes.

Besides the usual Dunlop and Sir Ramic brand slides, I use some real wine bottle necks, a beer bottle neck, and a hand made convex brass slide.

Peace, Mike.

20. JohnSS

JohnSS Tele-Meister

I follow the Rory Gallagher principle of metal for acoustic and glass for electric. I use a socket wrench for dobro type slide and make my own glass slides from Concha Y Toro or Kendall Jackson wine bottles, which are fairly thick walled and have a nice tone when paired with some thick OD. I use a Stevens bar for lap steel.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.