Messing with a New Mic

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by matman14, May 12, 2021.

1. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

Been playing with a V13 Tube LDC for a few days, from the folks just down the freeway at Vanguard.
    [​IMG]

It's a very good kind of entry level mic into the within an Uber ride of the ballpark of a 251, maybe with a quick drive into C12 territory, tube mic world. But it's still it's own thing too. And a completely different character from the Mojave MA300 Tube LDC I have in the locker.

A little bit colorful (including the "pinot noir" finish and mid century chrome appointments), very creamy and tubey in the top end. Seems to pair extremely well with a 1073 style pre so far, Even some suggestions for tube rolling from Vanguard. A good option to add to the more bread and butter, expected large diaphragm condensers in the studio mic locker.

Loving it on vocals (obviously), as a mic to get the body of an acoustic guitar and even as a mono drum overhead. It could well be one of those mics that just works on everything (if you're looking for the coloration). I seem to be gravitating mostly to one click past cardioid on the way to omni position on the pattern selector for most things. The patterns have a very obvious EQ type effect on this mic.

It's sort of quirky and goes well with the aesthetics of KM84ish Soyuz Fet 013 SDCs I also use on acoustics and drums.
    Maybe I'll start a collection of all mid century look styled mics :rolleyes:

I also dig how more and more mic makers are using wooden mic boxes, very organic
    [​IMG]

Plus the inevitable suitcase to carry everything in like power, cables, shockmount, a spot for a different tube, etc..
    [​IMG]
    will be putting it up next to the U87 for some female vox tonight.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Esquire Jones likes this.
  2. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

It's beautiful. I wish I had your budget. LOL. Instead of a good Pinot Noir it's more like Todka Vodka. :eek::)

matman14 likes this.
  3. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Nice mic! While I've used the high end stuff, I still cringe at $800 being considered "entry level". Most of us project dudes will never own a mic worth more than $199.

matman14 likes this.
  4. matman14

matman14 Tele-Meister

A decent tube mic is going to be more expensive to start with, It's more complex to make, needs a good external power supply, and it's harder to keep the self-noise of the mic and PSU down without spending more on components. Just like a tube amp/compressor/hi-fi will be (much) pricier than a solid-state version.

And the original ELA-M 251 is a unicorn. Everything you put in front of it sounds like the best version of itself. If you can find one, an original in good order will cost you around $20,000.
    The Telefunken re-issues and Bock clones run $9,000-$10,000 and are incredible
    The last time I saw an original C12 up for sale, it was going for $17,000 and the various, accurate clones and reissues seem to start at $3,500 and go from there.

The V13 is an incredibly nice mic, but in the rarefied air of chasing a 251ish tube sound (emphasis on the ish), it's entry-level.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Mark the Moose and FortyEight like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.