1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

messing around with Mesa Boogie

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jared Purdy, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Did you compare it to the 5:25 or 5:50? I'm going to make a decison tomorrow as I'm going down to a store that has all three. I've tried the 5:25 12", and while it is a good amp, and has some great tones, I found it lacking something sonically. Maybe its the cab, maybe the architecture, maybe a bit of both. Nice size and features though. I have not tried out the 5:50, as I am not to sure how often I would get to crank it to an acceptable level, which my guess would be 4 out of 10, and on a 50 watt amp, that is very loud. The LSS seems to have everything I want: 3 wattages, 2 channels, effects loop, and a top wattage that will allow me to - occassionally play in the 30 watt setting at that 4 or 5 mark. We'll see though. It's a lot of money.

2. LucasT

LucasT TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

No, I didn't try any other MBs as honestly I was in a bit of a rush to get something and the LSS seemed to cover all the bases I was concerned about. Wish it was a little lighter, but it came with casters. Wish it was a little less expensive, but.....oh well. Good luck today!!

3. IronStomach

IronStomach TDPRI Member

With the 5:25, make sure you try it on both power settings, since the overall response changes quite a bit. Also try different gain and EQ settings - the EQ in particular is pretty finnicky, the treble control feeds the mid which feeds the bass, so turning the treble all the way up or down will colour the other two controls a lot. Not that I'm bashing the LSS (or any other amp), because it`s pretty awesome.

4. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I sold my '68 Princeton Reverb to buy my Express 5:50. I loved the PR but liked my Vibrolux Reverb and tweed Deluxe clone even better. I wanted something completely different.

The Boogies that I tried were a Lone Star Special, a 5:25 1 x 10 (the 1x12 combo wasn't out yet) an F-50 and the 5:50. The LSS was awesome, the 5:25 sounded boxy (when compared to the others) and the F-50 had more gain than the 5:50 but couldn't compare to it in any other way (tone versatility, reverb).

Speaking of reverb, the Express has better reverb than my Princetone Reverb, Vibrolux Reverb and Super Reverb. Boogie should have put "Reverb" in the name!

I also tried a Marshall DSL401 and a Fender Supersonic. I liked the Supersonic, but wanted a different clean sound. It and the Marshall were just as expensive as the Express and didn't offer the tone, flexibility and build quality (they both really looked and felt cheap compared to any Boogie. Working on a friend's DSL401 has confirmed that. The Express is no Matchless, but the Marshall is disposable, consumer grade garbage).

BTW, the Express' 5 watt SE mode is okay, though it requires EQ adjustments between it and the full power mode to sound good. The master controls work really well. I've never had them above 10:30 or so, even in a club or an outdoor barbecue and it still sounds great! I almost never use the 5 watt SE mode.

5. Jared Purdy

Well, it's official, I'm part of the Mesa Boogie LSS club. I have to be honest, I did not try the 5:50, for the simple reason that I know that there will be very few opportunities to take advantage of the 50 side of things. It's just way to loud for my needs. Not that 30 watts is loud either. However, I also have 5 and 15 watts respectively to contend with. They should have called it "The Wife Amp" (you can play at a reasonable volume - without getting nagged - and still get great tone, when it is on the 5 watt setting. There appears to be an infinte number of possibilities with the controls. I'd love to try it with a PRS to hear how it sounds. It sounded great with the Strat Deluxe. I'll actually be able to use the bridge pup - if I want to - something that is largely a waste of time (IMHO) when it's plugged into my PRRI.

6. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I've never had an amp with different output modes that didn't require tweaking when I changed how the power section was working. I could (usually) make any of the output options sound good by itself, but if I switched up to full power or down to whatever the bedroom level was, other knobs needed adjustment.

7. SabuJSE

SabuJSE Tele-Meister

LSS owner here - retubed it with JJ's and it does everything I need... takes pedals very well, and has a shimmering warm clean. Goes into Brian May/Santana territory very easily. Loves my Tele and my Les Paul.

Highly recommended.

8. Jared Purdy

What difference did you notice with the JJs? When I bought my PRRI I swapped out the 6V6 GTs for JJs, and heard a definite improvement. I then went further and swapped out all of the tubes (6V6s and 12AX7s) for Tung Sols and heard a further improvement, tighter, less raspy.

9. Jared Purdy

Does anyone happen to know what wood material is used for the Mesa LSS? What I mean, is it birch ply, or PB? What about the front baffle??
    Thanks.

10. red57strat

The cabinet is plywood. I don't know about the baffle.

Do yourself a huge favor with your new amp- read the manual. Boogie writes a great manual. There's a lot of sales pitch in the manual but there's also a ton of useful info on how to use the amp.

11. Jared Purdy

Thanks for the advise Don. I have read that elsewhere (re: reading the manual). That's interesting what you say about the cabinet, but that you are not sure about the baffle?? Why would Mesa, charging $2000 for an amp use anything else but plywood for the baffle?

12. tiktok

Express™ cabinets are made using the finest Void-Free, Marine Grade
    Baltic Birch in varying thicknesses of no less than 9 ply and as many as 14
    ply. Super strong rabbet corners are glued and nailed and all backs are
    gasket sealed to ensure an air-tight seal. Baffles are fitted with superior
    dado joint construction and braced. Grilles are wrapped around a separate
    grille-board, not the baffle board. Grille material is made of strong
    twisted jute dipped in a special coating that filters top end for a sweeter
    response.

13. Jared Purdy

Wow! Thats what I want to read!!! Cheers for posting that. It looks like a quote(?) Can we assume (a very danerous positon in this business) that the LSS is no different???

14. tiktok

It's from the Mesa site--if you look there, I believe all their cab's are the same way.

15. Jared Purdy

I had to find out. I have an utter distaste for PB, baffle, or anywhere else. So, I called them. You are correct, marine grade ply (which means that if your canoe is leaky and you want to go fishing, you can always use your Mesa Boogie!).

16. red57strat

That's great to hear. You can tell these amps are made well when you take a close look at them.

on the other hand, Fender has used particle board for their amps since the early '60s without too many complaints (though I've seen SR baffles fall apart!).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.