1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

messing around with Mesa Boogie

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jared Purdy, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I'm in the market for a versatile, well made amp, that will be a compliment to my much loved, and modded, PRRI. I'm looking at 3 Mesa amps, as they all have a number of features that are totally different than the classic Fender RI's. The 5:25 with a 12"speaker, the Tranatlantic with a 12" cab and the Lonestar Special. Any thoughts, any one out there in tdpri Land who has/had any of those amps???

2. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

What are you after, or what is the PRRI not doing for you?

Sorry I can't help with the models you are asking about but the only Mesa's I have spent time with are older ones, a Studio .22+ (great) and a Subway blues (one trick pony but cool). I just wanted to pass on that both were VERY well made amps btw.

3. Jared Purdy

I wouldn't say that the PRRI isn't doing something for me. It's more a matter of liking variety, the same way many guitarists have more than one guitar: a strat, a tele, a les paul, etc. Many also have more than one amp, for the same reason: they sound different and have different features that contribute to the different sounds. Right now I only have one electric guitar (a strat deluxe), but I'd like to eventually get a les paul standard and a tele. Gald to hear that the Mesa is made well, that is something that I have repeatedly heard too.

4. nasonm

nasonm Friend of Leo's

Look into the Mesa Subway series. I had a Subway Blues that I regret selling years ago. Great line of amps that were the precursor to the 5:25 IMHO.

5. cuzzinmark

cuzzinmark Tele-Meister

I have a Lonestar Classic. Very similar to the Special. It's a great, versatile piece of gear. The reverb is just great. It's very Fender-y in the clean channel, and the lead is nice, although I still prefer pedals for most of those flavors. There isn't much it can't do...aside from death metal...

6. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

OK I hear what you are saying about variety. But I bet that PRRI would sound pretty sweet with a decent OD in front of it!

7. Wailin' Tele

Wailin' Tele Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I had a Road King, it was the first amp I bought in over 15 years. It was too heavy, too much power and way too many knobs to mess with. I sold it and got a Super Reverb, after the RK it was nice just to plug into an amp and sound great right away. That being said I tried out a Lone Star Special and loved the ability to go down in wattage and play its lead setting, I thought that amp was great and if it wasn't for the steep price tag I'd have gotten it. A couple of months ago I went into a local shop and checked out the Transatlantic. I ended up buying it. The cleans are phenomenal, well it does that slightly broken up clean better than any recent small amp I've tried out. ( it does a better AC 15 sound than the AC 15 I had) and the other channel's tweed and marshallesque switches are pure playing joy. I have a 112 and a 212 cab so getting a head was what i was looking for anyways. I did like the versatility of the RK, the Transatlantic has that at a more reasonable level for this meat head. My other amps are collecting dust at the moment. But like most buying advice must end - check them all out and see which ones sounds best to you.

8. IronStomach

IronStomach TDPRI Member

I've had the 5:25 (12" model) for almost six months now, and I keep finding out cool new things to do with it. It's been on almost every studio recording I've done since I got it, mostly because it can run the gamut from cleans to heavy, saturated distortion - although strangely enough, I like the medium-ish overdrive from the Crunch and Blues channels the most. The 5-watt mode is great fun for getting power tube breakup without your ears ringing afterwards.

9. Jared Purdy

Thats a possibility! see you're from Billings. I spent 5 years in Lethbridge (university), Alberta, and while I was there my old girlfriend and I would go down to Billings a few times a year as a very good friend of our lived there. I think he's in Red Lodge now. Beautiful part of the country.

10. Jared Purdy

Yes, I really like the TA, the sound coming from it (I tested it with a Mesa cab with a 12") was fantastic. The only thing that I was missing was the reverb, which I quite like to use - one of the reasons I went with the PRRI. Size is a bit on an issue as I don't want a behemoth, and the LSS is moving close to that, though it has some features that I really like.

11. Jared Purdy

Did you compare it to the LSS before you bought it??

12. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I have the PRRI and Mesa Express 5:50.

I chose the 5:50 over the 5:25 because I wanted 6L6 power. These are very versatile amps, solid build.

From what I read the Transatlantic has a lot more sonic options, the Express doesn't stray far from it's primary sound, just with with higher gain options. Power for Transatlantic is EL84.

13. IronStomach

IronStomach TDPRI Member

Briefly, but the 5:25 was on the high end of my budget anyways. I like the Lonestar series, but if I were spending that much, I'd probably try out some more options. Plus, the 5:25 is nice and portable.

14. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

For the small amount of difference in price and weight I'd go with the 5x50 Express. I've had mine for a year and a half and it keeps surprising me with it's versatility. Between my Mesa and my 65 amp Tupelo I wont be needing another amp for a long time.

15. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I really liked the 5:50, but the 5:25 did nada for me. Actually bought one at GC and took it back a few days later. Totally lacked balls and not much headroom at all. After I returned it, I ordered a Laney 20w Lionheart head... blew the 5:25 out of the water (in my opinion).

16. BillZ

BillZ TDPRI Member

+1 on the 5:25 with a 12". Great range of sounds, seems to take pedals well and relatively light.

17. Jared Purdy

It's too bad Fender didn't put that multi watt function in the Supersonic, it would have been a contender.

18. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

Yes it is nice here. I grew up in Vancouver BC (I am still Canadian), I can say it is pretty nice up in Canada too!

19. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Tele-Meister

Love my 5:50. Better cleans than the Lonestars in my opinion. Out of the amps you listed, I'd say 5:25.

20. LucasT

LucasT TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Bought a Lonestar this past summer and love it. Previously just owned a stock Blues Jr., which I still like, but needed something a bit more powerful for a new band situation and the LSS fit the bill compared to the other things I tried at Guitar Center, including various Fenders - in fact, I went in there expecting to like and get a Hot Rod Deluxe or DRRI. For the money, I probably could have shopped around more, including more boutique offerings, but it just sounded really sweet and appeared to be very versatile. I've been very happy with it, cleans are just fine for me and it has pretty effective and musical overdrive to my ears. Being able to adjust the wattage on each channel is pretty cool too. Bottom line is I don't expect to be shopping for a new amp any time soon.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.