1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mesquitecaster Build (some Assistance Required)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by pattyb, Mar 21, 2016.

1. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

We always used oak and apple mix for mule deer sausage now I got lazy and just bought a big bag of Hickory.Unless I am making andouille and then it takes mesquite and sugarcane.

DrASATele likes this.
  2. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

pattyb, getting back on subject, I vote for a mesquite cap on an alder body, but I'm considering
    the guitar's weight. And as I'm sure you know, mesquite tends to dull saw blades quickly due to its tendency to
    have a lot of silica in the wood.
    I'm staying out of the debate on its suitability for smoking briskets!

3. mjrbuzz

mjrbuzz TDPRI Member

this is my mesquito caster it is my first build and I am very happy with it, if you have any questions hit me up.

Attached Files:

4. pattyb

pattyb TDPRI Member

If anyone is still watching this thread, hello from the future. It's been almost two years since I made this post (my, how the time has flown) and I have not even started to build this guitar yet. I got distracted what with work and school and life and all that good stuff. However, I recently got bit by the bug again, and I'm going to finish it this time.

The updated plan is as follows, crash-course style:
    • Ash body, mesquite top
    • Aftermarket neck (probably from Warmoth)
    • P90s (As opposed to traditional tele pickups)
    • Bigsby
    The reason I'm going with P90s and a Bigsby is because I have a friend that uses this combo as his main gigging guitar. Having played with it myself, I fell in love with it and decided it would be much cheaper to recreate it on my own, and make it what I want than try to scour the net to find one like it.

Also, because I am a student, and I don't have all the time and money in the world, I'm probably going to find a place that will make me an ash tele body that is routed for this particular setup already. That way, I can take some material off the top of the body and replace it with the mesquite--which sounds so easy in my head, but will probably end up being much harder than I anticipate. C'est la vie.

As much as I want to save money, I also want to do this right. I have confidence in my methods. Now I just need to gather up my stones and do it.

5. pattyb

pattyb TDPRI Member

Hey there! You replied a heck of a long time ago. Thank you for commenting! Did you build the whole guitar from scratch?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.